“Disgraceful treatment”

The Original Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #24 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We had originally planned not to stay in Kings Cross as we had heard mixed reviews about the area but our other friends had stayed in Original Backpackers awhile back and we had heard good reviews about the atmosphere and the rooms.

We had arrived later than had planned, as our plane had been delayed, so we arrived quite late at night on a Thursday and we had to deal with a young English guy.

The place looked nice and I was warmed to it as it seemed like a good place, and I had been worried that we wouldn't be able to check in as we hadn't made a booking and it was so late. This was the least of our worries!!!!

My partner and I had to offer I.D for checking in but I couldn't find mine, so I said to my partner that it was in her bag. My exact words were, 'It's in your bag, honey.'

The guy looked up and sneered to himself and I heard him mutter, hmm, dykes!

I was absolutely disgusted and have never, NEVER experienced such abuse in my life.

I was too shocked and takend aback to say anything so I grabbed our bags and walked out.

I thought I would have liked it there, but will be telling all of my friends and anyone I meet not to stay here. EVER!

Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 February 2012

Mixed feelings about this place. It is a fun place where you meet other travellers, the staff is nice and the bbq on fridays is great!

However, the place need some serious cleaning, more bathrooms and at least one more kitchen.. The bathrooms are cleanish and the kitchen ok at most times, but the dorms.. It seemed like it was never cleaned. People leavning and new people coming all the time with their sheets in their arms, but there was never any cleaning so its pretty dusty and dirty. The only thing they do is to empty the bin once a day.
The best thing would be closing the place down for a week and clean all the dorms from floor to ceiling!

This is not the hostels fault but some people who stayed here were really messy and just leaving all there dirty plates and saucers in the kitchen.. Really annoying when you are looking for something to cook with... So if you go here, please clean up and dont be a pig :))

The wifi is expensive we thought... And in other hostels just down the road it was free, so we thought that was stingy.

If you do go here, be ready for some socializing and fun, but dont expect too much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Spent 4 nights here in a double room and our stay has been really good. The hostel is clean (even the showers and toilets), the staff is professional and friendly, and it’s quite well located (10-15 minutes walk to the botanical gardens).

The kitchen is convenient but a bit small and, as someone already mentioned, it’s sometimes hard to get what you need (cups, plates…). The atmosphere is pretty friendly, most people are young and are in the mood for party, but if you look for a quiet place don’t worry too much: the kitchen closes at 10pm and the place tend to get quiet then.

I would recommend this hostel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pofdega
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We stayed in a Double Room with ensuite in September 2011. The room is a bit on the small side but had everything we needed including a TV. It was a bit stuffy but other than that we were comfortable and it was clean. The Friday night BBQ was really good and a great way to bring everyone together to socialize. The average age of the place was a bit young for us - everyone around 18-20. King's Cross is kinda of a sketchy neighborhood, and the nightlife is basically 18 year olds getting completed wasted on the streets. However its in a very central location - a 10 minute walk to the botanical gardens and downtown Sydney.
Also liked the fact that there was a quiet policy after 10pm at the hostel, so people could sleep well

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I found this a very helpfull Hostel, they managed to accomodate us short notice after a mix up boking at another hostel.
i have styed here twice, Its a friendly homely hostel, i found 90% of the people were nice,the rooms are clean (aside fromone room we were in for one night which had LONG term male occupants who were rrediculously antisocial and messy but theis is no reflection on the hostel itself. ) Good amenities, Plenty of bathrooms, and a good kitchen. also a movie room(always as the lights off)
Unfortunatly although its a perfect hostel if you are sightseeing - close to the train station, and reasonable walk to the city, in the heart of the party central but still quiet, I would not stay here again dueto the lack of social space. after 10pm guests are nolonger alowd in the socail areas due to Sydney law reguarding Noise levels, unfortunate for such a nice hostel, head to your room the movie room or out to a bar at 10pm then its a perfect place to stay.

Room Tip: anys rooms are good! upstairs front facing have a balcony.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed in this hostel for two weeks after a very bad experience of a hostel in Central and loved it. Staff are friendly and helpful and we met some great people.

First night we stayed we had a twin room with en suite. Clean and tidy, own TV and DVD player, towels and couldn't fault it at all.

We moved into a four bed dorm after this purely to save money and we're happy with the room. Usual dorm style but the room was pretty big. High ceilings, fan, wardrobe space, TV, DVD and was quite clean.

I think the thing to remember with this hostel is that it is an older building so it is never going to look clinical in its cleanliness.

Kitchen was well equipped although you did have to play a fun game of "Hunt the cup" in the mornings.

The only issue for me was the showers, the bathrooms themselves aren't too bad. Lots of space to get changed etc but depending on what time you go for a shower you can end up having a cold one. Trick is to go early early in the mornings or wait until late morning/early afternoon.

They have a BBQ every Friday for $5 each and you get burgers, sausages, chicken, salads, potatoes, sweetcorn etc. Plenty of selection!

They also organise nights out and I would say that Friday's/Saturday's are the most popular.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to others.

Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Stayed here in April 2011 with two friends at the start of a four month trip, and I would recommend this hostel - it has a really good location in Kings Cross, close to nightlife, and only twenty or so minutes walk from The Botanic Gardens and Sydney Opera House.

We paid 28 dollars a night for a room in an all females dorm, which was a nice enough room with lockers (bring your own padlock!). HOWEVER we were put in a room with loads of girls who seemed to be living in the hostel, so even if we came in at 12 - not even drunk! - we'd get shouted at for being to noisy.... so I'd recommend going for mixed dorms if you want to enjoy Sydney's nightlife because they seemed as nice inside as the all female dorms but you're actually allowed to have fun... this could have just been my experience but as a general thing throughout our trip we found this to be the case!

Bruce at reception is always happy to help out with things to do in Sydney, and the hostel puts on events at clubs and restaurants to get you cheap food, drinks and free entry. Also the hostel has a big kitchen with free basic essentials, although it shuts at 10 so don't do what we did and be forced to eat cereal on your first night in Sydney...

All round good hostel, bit expensive but that seems fitting with all of Sydney. Have fun!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends