“Good location”

Ranked #23 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
London, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

We booked a double room with en-suite. The room was spacious and clean. Didn't really spend much time in the kitchen but the communal spaces seemed nice enough. The staff were lovely and helped us secure a flat by acting as a reference for us. Only down side was neither of us had a proper hot shower.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Original backpackers is a great place to stay if you want to get the full Sydney experience. A minute's walk from kings cross station it's really easy to get around town and grab some cheap(er) dinner.

The staff are really friendly and there's a nice communal feel to the kitchen area. My double room was clean and tidy, with a great hot shower and fresh towels. Its all you need!

• Stayed October 2013
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 October 2013

i stayed here whilst showing a friend around Australia. the staff were great. Share kitchen, movie room and computer access. Very easy to mingle and make new friends from all over the world. Only downside is if youre staying there and have a suitcase it is a bit of a struggle lugging it up the stairs as there are no lifts. clean bathrooms and toilets, it is a little bit noisy on weekends until early in the morning but its good for a real hostel experience. Near the cross and alot of night life. very good for price.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I stayed at the Original Backpackers Hostel for several weeks while looking for a place to live after moving to Sydney. I had a private room with a private bathroom. The room and bathroom were very clean, no lack of hot water and although I had a room right next to the communal courtyard, the enforced 10pm curfew helped with the noise levels.

The room was well equipped with a bar fridge, safe, TV and fan, plus coffee making facilities. I would stay again should I need to. The staff were helpful and pleasant.

Although I didn't do much cooking, there is a lovely big kitchen with all the amenities you could require. There is also a TV room available, although I had a TV in my room.

I've marked the hostel down due to the internet available. The WiFi is charged and barely works at all, I was disappointed.

The Hostel is located within 2 minutes walk to Kings Cross Station which was perfect for me.

Room Tip: I had a private 'double' room, plenty of space!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 21 July 2013

OK people first let me I've been living here for 5 months going on a few more. Now, I did read all the "bad reviews" and some are true to what they say but some aren't so, but don't judge this hostel based on bad reviews.

This is a GREAT hostel. I've made the greatest friends here that anyone can ask for. I'm a long term person as most people in this hostel are. The staff is great, but people try to remember its a HOSTEL if you want peace and quiet go to a Holiday inn. Yes, it's a "party" hostel, BUT we don't party all the time. There are times when it's quiet. The hostel has a event every night to go to (Clubs and bars) Monday night is Omalley's Night and they have Karaoke. Yes, the kitchen does close at 10pm, but if you know the staff and are friendly with them, they can let you in for the things you need. The reason why they close it at 10 (which every bad review fails to mention) is because if everyone stayed out in the courtyard partying they would cause noise for the rooms in the courtyard and facing the courtyard if you go to bed at 10PM. People do head out to the porch to drink and chat but they are only out there waiting to go out with the rest of the hostel for the nightly bar or club. There are 2 rooms that face the porch and my room is one of them, but the noise doesn't bother me. I sleep easily through it, but that's just me.

Cleanliness. Again, It's a hostel. If you want clean get a private room. Most bathrooms are always clean, but some are old. Only once I've seen a few things, but those were unexpected rare occasions and was cleaned up right away. Rooms are cleaned weekly. Friday nights for BBQ nights are fun. It's VERY close to the CBD s you can walk there in 10 min. Coles is close. I like living in a hostel. Reminds me of my college days. It's like living in a dorm or Fraternity, but you make great friends along the way. Most people who stay have stayed in other hostels and moved about because the atmosphere at the others were great and they loved the atmosphere at originals. You pretty much pay for the atmosphere. I haven't been to other hostels and I'm not planning on leaving because there is such a good group on people here. If you're staying short term yeah I can understand the bad reviews, but long term it's great. There's enough space for everyone and always have rooms available.

Internet is $10 not bad, but there is free internet around the corner at wicked travel and you can book your next trip.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We weren't planning to stay in a hostel, but the city was full due to a big event that was taking place in Sydney, and the only available option was this hostel. We've paid for a private room, and that was way better than I was expecting. The staff was really friendly, the location is very good. Something that surprised too was the free transfer from the airport to the hostel, saved me some money.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We enjoyed our stay because of good location, cleanliness in the room (we got private with bathroom), lots of informartion available and extremely helpful staff. They can help with any activity bookings and to get around in the city. Great job, guys!
In hostel there is a big nice kitchen available and big room for hangin' out with fellow backpackers.

• Stayed June 2013