“Great location,rates and atmosphere”
Review of Base Backpackers

Base Backpackers
Ranked #21 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Dublin, Ireland
“Great location,rates and atmosphere”
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Base is the ideal backpackers if you are young single and fun.
Great location is easy to locate and close to all attractions not to mention the best club in Sydney.
Weekly rates are really good and let you relax and unpack into the steel underbed lockers.
I am highly critical of hostels as can be seen from my reviews,if you want a bad Australian hostel go to Perth,for fun,location and more fun go to Base.
Its location location location and this hostel offers that and more just dont moan about the club thumping away keeping you awake,this is a place for young people!!!

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper try get a room on the higher floors as the club an be quite loud,id sleep...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 May 2012

We arrived into base as part of a welcome package we booked through STA. When we arrived not only did they not have a clue who the hell we were, but they missed several details regarding our accom. such as breakfast, and our job placement details. It appears that there are just simply too many people at the front desk and the details, and in our case....MAJOR details are lost in the shuffle. I have a huge problem with approaching someone who is clearly on shift in the customer service industry and you feel like they just can't be bothered....like they're above their job......I understand sometimes you need to look busy, however, this was not one of them.

I've stayed in all over & I have never had a more NOISY experience in my life! Normal partying is one thing, but having people shouting in the hall until 5am is a joke and should have been addressed ASAP.

The location was ok, nothing special....you are close to Darling, but for the most part be ready to take the train EVERYWHERE.

In its favor, the kitchen was pretty big, & the washing area had working units 24-7.

At the end of the day, we felt burnt by our arrival package. Normally you'd expect some sort of an intro into what we need to be doing in taking advantage of our package, but we finally asked them how to redeem our package details and they sent us out to several places......the breakfast that was included was a total joke too! Heading into the Scary Canary next door (it smelled to high heaven) was only accomplished because we were on a budget and looked at it as something we had prepaid for...otherwise....not a chance.

We won't be returning to the Base on Kent...& have skipped Base as an accom. since....

Room Tip: A tip, get a room somewhere else...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura M

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2012

People can be so dam fussy and picky. I stayed here from 19-22 April 2012 with 7 of my mates (20 and 21 year olds, guys and girls). We emailed X Base before we booked our accommodation to ask if we would be able to all be put in the same room and they were more than happy to do that for us. We were each given a room key which was great, I was expecting to have 1 or 2 for the group of us.
Our room was great. There was plenty of room to put bags and still be able to walk around the room. We were on the first floor and directly above the Scary Canary which is the bar next door. This did not effect anyones sleep. The room had a toilet, sink and shower which was great. They were all separate so if someone was in the toilet, the shower could be used, and the sink could be used. On the first floor there was also girls bathroom which had 5 or 6 toilets, the same amount of showers and 4 sinks. I went into these bathrooms 3 times and there was never anyone in them.
The place was really clean, the cleaners came and cleaned the room at around 10am, we were long gone before they came.
We didnt use the kitchen facilities but the kitchen was big, lots of storage and quite a few tables and chairs.
The only bad things about the place was that the bunk beds were a bit squeeky which was annoying when the boys were mucking around purposely moving to annoy us, but when we were trying to get to sleep they were fine. The storage under the beds sometimes got a bit jammed but you just needed a little muscle to get them out.
The location is great, 5 minute walk to Town Hall train station where you can catch a train, or catch a free bus to Circular Quey on George St next to the station. 10 Minute walk to Darling Harbour (if that, probably less than 10 minutes). Pub next door.
What more could you want for such a cheap price. I would definitely recommend this backpackers, it was great value for money.

Room Tip: If traveling in a group and you want to make sure you are all put in the same room, just email the h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2012

I had a double ensuite room for one night. Room was tidy apart from weird stains on duvet cover. Bathroom reasonably clean. My room faced the street so until 3am I had the floor of my room rocking from the bass in the pub downstairs. I am a heavy sleeper but found it hard to drift off. Staff were ok - not overly friendly and seemed to be under staffed as there was always a queue. Dont think Id be back

Room Tip: Nothing on the first floor and maybe take some ear plugs
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Netherlands
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Upon arrival, the staff tried to make me pay 25% more than the price of my reservation. It took quite some putting my foot down to get this corrected, as they just kept stating that the price for my room was in fact the higher one, no matter what my reservation said. Not exactly what you look forward to after finally arriving after a long trip.
I stayed in a private ensuite, and the room itself was actually quite nice. Even had a tv, which is unusual for a hostel. Also, they changed my sheets after 3 days, which is also not as common as one would think.
Unfortunately, the room was also right above the bar with very loud music until at least 2 am. Even though I was three floors up, this was still very present. The activities organised are also quite party-scene. Instead of the normal movie night/BBQ things, there were lots of strip shows, wet t shirt contests and the like.
In addition, the hostel was not as clean as others I have stayed in. There was a stuffed smell everywhere, probably due to a lack of ventilation. The kitchen was not very clean, and in the basement, which did not add to its appeal. There was no good place to relax, just a tv room without windows as well. This is clearly a place for people who want to be there as little as possible.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Gold Coast
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I stayed for three nights in the 'Sanctuary' girls only dorm in February. Whilst the bed itself was clean, and the lockable space under was great, the carpets and shower receptacles were feral. I was pretty close to buying some bleach to remove the mould build up and had to angle to remove the hair that didn't seem to be removed over the whole stay. In saying this, the water was always hot and the rooms were big. The location itself was excellent, just a few minutes to the city center or Darling Harbor. I liked that they held your bags on arrival, but not so much that they directed you to the expensive lockers on departure.

Room Tip: Check out their direct site for booking since if you book three nights or more they will reimburse y...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 March 2012

Price was not too bad for a twin room with ensuite. The room was clean with fresh towels and nice sheets. We were surprised to find complimentary earplugs as well - and later found out this is because there is a club sharing a main wall with the backpackers, so you will have bass pumping through your room until around 2am every night (yes, even including Sundays).
Had we known this when booking we would have stayed elsewhere. Hard to enjoy a big bed with nice sheets when you're unable to get any sleep at all.
The TV remote didn't work either - dead batteries - and despite repeated attempts to have staff rectify this they never did and when on counter always seemed too busy chatting to people to help paying customers.
If you're planning on not sleeping and getting hardly any service then definitely come here.

Room Tip: Only book here if you plan not to sleep.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple