“Loved this place and look for Base hostels everywhere I go”
Review of Base Backpackers

Base Backpackers
Ranked #27 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I was here as part of the ozintro group for a week, it was very clean, I walked around with no shoes on most of the time! Best hostel I've stayed in! The staff at reception were very helpful, we all had personal storage lockers. Very spacious rooms. Shared bathrooms were always really clean and quite a social place with scary canary conveniently right downstairs! Loved it, so much so that I look for base backpackers every city I visit. I've stayed in four now and sydney definitely is the best one. Nothing I can say bad about this place! :)

Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 27 October 2013

As comfy as the bed was and the spaciousness of the room, unless you want to be kept awake 7 nights a week I wouldn't recommend this party hostel. However, it is a great place to meet new people and sign up for free excursions and future travel.

It's very noisy in the evenings with slamming doors, especially weekends when it is over run with drunk teenagers.

I wasn't overly impressed with the customer service and the tv room was dark and gloomy all day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2013

It was by far the worst hostel I've ever been to. If you're looking for a charming hostel, please avoid this place. I didn't get any sleep due to the scary canary being right below my bed and getting a hold of the receptionist took forever and there was no order in the line. It seemed like they just prioritized their friends/people they knew over others. The hallways smelled like a fraternity house, and the rooms didn't have shelves, tables, or anything. Everyone put their stuff on the floor, so it was terribly messy. The atmosphere was very untrustworthy, so I felt very unsafe putting my stuff in public places. They claim to have lockers, but I was quite frustrated that you had to pay additional for locks. I've been known to sleep through anything and I'm not terribly clean myself, but this place was unbelievably nasty. I've got a lot of friends/co-workers who travel to sydney quite often, and I'm definitely going to go out of my way to tell them not to stay here.

The only advantage to this place was the location, but there are a handful of other hostels in the same area, so go to those instead.

Room Tip: don't stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 September 2013

After a few flights I spend a night in Sydney, before my last domestic flight. It has a good location, just near Town Hall Station (where you can easily take the train to the airport, both international and domestic), but also just 25min walk to the Opera house and the famous Harbour Bridge.

On an eight person dorm I had a good night. The rooms were clean enough, beds are fine. The bathrooms were also quite clean and the reception could give some good advice about where to eat and how to travel around.

Just next to the hostel is a bar, called the Scary Canary. So if you have a room near the bar you could suffer some noise, but at my room it wasn't a problem!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Base has a great location in sydney so close to central and darling harbour for the people who have just arrived in sydney, it was also clean but quite noisy. Hostels in sydney are relatively expensive anyway so this was a average cost for sydney and the staff were good, but as advertised in the girls only dorm that you would get conditioner shampoo and hairdryers in the bathrooms etc did not happen the hair dryers were broken and no shampoo or conditioner was in stock.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We booked a private double for 5 nights. Every morning from around 5am the continuing banging started from downstairs. The bar downstairs was doing renovations. The constent banging was unbearable and lasted till 12pm when the bar opened. When we finally got some sleep, the housekeeping would come in to the room with out knocking. The room was clean and the base is in a good location, but our holiday seemed wasted as we were so tired and had to try to sleep during the day. Not impressed!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Location here is great right in the heart of Sydney and it is a relatively clean hostel in comparison to some that I have stayed at and Scary Canary is next door which is a fun night out and good for backpackers on a budget. That unfortunately is all that is good about this place, and I have to say that the worse thing here is that the staff are so rude. One of the cleaners took my case by mistake and reception said I would need to speak to them as it is a different company… two days later case returned without an apology and I had to buy new clothes!!! I also witnessed several people in my room be moved at a moments notice (1 hour to pack their things) as they would need the room for big groups. The kitchen and common area really feels like a prison with no soul or community spirit. The hostel does put trips on for backpackers put the staff who go on them are arrogant and you feel like its just a meat market. All in all I would not recommend this place unless you have to, there are much better hotels in Sydney.

Room Tip: The best rooms are the ones located by the lift as they are 6 bedroomed and are larger than most.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends