“Poor Benjamin”

Ranked #21 of 137 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Kent, United Kingdom
“Poor Benjamin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

The hostel is ok but they wouldn't let Benjamin in who is a diamond. The kitchen is good and never very busy, expensive laundry but i met amazing people here and so sociable. Perfect if you are a solo traveller

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank liverpool2602

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013 via mobile

Smelly, noisy and run down. By far the worst hostel i've ever stayed at. I still cannot comprehend why the double rooms are placed right over the Scary Canary bar- these are the most expensive rooms and it is IMPOSSIBLE to sleep until the bar closes. At one point the music was so loud my whole room was vibrating! They also never cleaned my room in 4 days and did not provide soap. The location is the only good thing about this hostel, but given the high price and terrible experience, I can guarantee I will never stay there again.

1 Thank SpanishSun08

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

Was worried having read some reviews but my girls only dorm was quiet (people were really respectful early morning and at night), all the public areas were clean and although I could slightly hear Scaries it never was enough to stop me sleeping.

Really great location in the city. Can be slightly hard to meet people if there is a language barrier with the people in your room but I did the free city tour on a Tuesday and the Bondi tour on Thursday and was able to meet loads of people that way.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank rs_hale
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

I was here as part of the ozintro group for a week, it was very clean, I walked around with no shoes on most of the time! Best hostel I've stayed in! The staff at reception were very helpful, we all had personal storage lockers. Very spacious rooms. Shared bathrooms were always really clean and quite a social place with scary canary conveniently right downstairs! Loved it, so much so that I look for base backpackers every city I visit. I've stayed in four now and sydney definitely is the best one. Nothing I can say bad about this place! :)

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Kingswinford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

As comfy as the bed was and the spaciousness of the room, unless you want to be kept awake 7 nights a week I wouldn't recommend this party hostel. However, it is a great place to meet new people and sign up for free excursions and future travel.

It's very noisy in the evenings with slamming doors, especially weekends when it is over run with drunk teenagers.

I wasn't overly impressed with the customer service and the tv room was dark and gloomy all day.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Hong Kong
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2013

It was by far the worst hostel I've ever been to. If you're looking for a charming hostel, please avoid this place. I didn't get any sleep due to the scary canary being right below my bed and getting a hold of the receptionist took forever and there was no order in the line. It seemed like they just prioritized their friends/people they knew over others. The hallways smelled like a fraternity house, and the rooms didn't have shelves, tables, or anything. Everyone put their stuff on the floor, so it was terribly messy. The atmosphere was very untrustworthy, so I felt very unsafe putting my stuff in public places. They claim to have lockers, but I was quite frustrated that you had to pay additional for locks. I've been known to sleep through anything and I'm not terribly clean myself, but this place was unbelievably nasty. I've got a lot of friends/co-workers who travel to sydney quite often, and I'm definitely going to go out of my way to tell them not to stay here.

The only advantage to this place was the location, but there are a handful of other hostels in the same area, so go to those instead.

Room Tip: don't stay on the 1st floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

After a few flights I spend a night in Sydney, before my last domestic flight. It has a good location, just near Town Hall Station (where you can easily take the train to the airport, both international and domestic), but also just 25min walk to the Opera house and the famous Harbour Bridge.

On an eight person dorm I had a good night. The rooms were clean enough, beds are fine. The bathrooms were also quite clean and the reception could give some good advice about where to eat and how to travel around.

Just next to the hostel is a bar, called the Scary Canary. So if you have a room near the bar you could suffer some noise, but at my room it wasn't a problem!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo