“Highly Recommend! Clean, Fun, Friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Base Backpackers

Base Backpackers
Ranked #21 of 137 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Lexington, Kentucky
“Highly Recommend! Clean, Fun, Friendly”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I accidentally booked my stay at this hostel for the wrong weekend, and when my friend and I showed up to check in, the hostel was booked full! We were just about to panic when the man who helped us at the front desk offered to accommodate us in a room that was closed for the winter. We were extremely grateful, and very satisfied with our clean, comfortable, and warm room! Thanks, Base! We will definitely be back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Jeroen B, Guest Relations Manager at Base Backpackers, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your awesome review and for booking Base Sydney. I'm so happy to hear that our night manager Manuel sorted that 'mistake" out for you and that you were overall happy with your stay. I'm always happy to read when our staff goes an extra mile for somebody so I will tell him he did an awesome job.

We hope to welcome you to this or another Base property in the near future!

GS Manager
Base Sydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed here while in Sydney, the location was amazing! Just a 20 min walk to Harbour Bridge & the Opera house. It can be very noisy here but it's what u expect being in such a lively city. Staff were fab and very helpful ;-) and price was good reasonable!

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Julz J
Hi There,

Thanks for choosing Base Sydney and for your awesome review. Its great to hear that you liked our staff and we agree with you on our location, it cant get better then next to Town hall right?!

We hope to again welcome you back to Base Sydney or another Base property in the near future.

Base Backpackers Sydney
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We had a double private room when we came to stay at the end of June. The room was clean and quite comfortable considering the cost. The shared bathroom facilities were kept very clean too with plenty of hot water.

The hostel is in a great location, right across from the train station. Walking distance to opera house, harbour bridge etc.

Scary canary bar next door was pretty good too.

Room Tip: Take the free ferry to Manly for great views of the harbour
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Rachel,

Thanks for choosing to stay at Base Sydney. We take these reviews super seriously, and are really appreciative of you taking the time to complete one for us. It sounds like you had a great stay with us which was fantastic to read and exactly what we would hope for.

I am so happy to hear that you liked our staff as we work hard to create an awesome, friendly and knowledgeable team :)

Base Backpackers Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 August 2014

A friend and I stayed at Base Sydney for 3 nights. It was an amazing experience. Loved the bar and we got to meet very interesting people. Throughout the stay, we spent most of our time in the common area where we were able to interact with other travelers. Also, great staff!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Jeroen B, Guest Relations Manager at Base Backpackers, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
Hi there,

I love reading your review, thanks for the positive comments!! I'm so happy to read you liked our bar and that you met some awesome people here at Base. My favourite part is reading that our staff is friendly, in my opinion one of the most important things in a hostel.

We hope to see you again whenever you're back in Sydney :)

Safe Travels,

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stayed at Base for two nights in the sanctuary dorm and we really enjoyed our experience. The room was clean and spacious (I didn't even realise it had 8 beds in it at first!), as were the rest of the facilities (bathroom, kitchen, etc.)
We also enjoyed our time in the Scary Canary next door, especially the cheap food and the free glasses of champagne we got due to staying in the sanctuary dorm. The location is also spot on, especially if you are going to/from the airport!
The only thing that was disappointing during our stay were our very unsociable roommates, who dented the social aspect a bit. Of course, I should say this is not related to the hostel at all and it is after all a draw who you end up with. Otherwise everything was great.

• Stayed August 2014
Hi There,

Thanks for your awesome review. We just updated our Sanctuary space a bit (with all new power points in the rooms, fresh paint and the mirrored new hallway :) ) so I'm happy you liked it.
Shame to hear your room mates were a little anti social, I hope you met some awesome people at Scaries?!

I hope you have a great time travelling in Australia and hope to see you again whenever you're in Sydney :)

Safe Travels!!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 7 August 2014

stayed at Base Sydney for 4 nights in July. Took the 6 bed per room c/w bathroom ensuite. The staff at the counter were very helpful and they would greet you with a smile and try to help you check-in to your room ASAP. The receptionist attending to me even took the initiative to walk me to the lift and explain to me how to use the access card and gave me a quick overview of the facilities . Every door is equipped with a security lock similar to most hotels. The room is generally clean and spacious. There are adequate power point for all of us to charge our phones. Location is near darling habour and minutes walk to the subway station. Its pretty easy to get around. To sum it up, if i were to visit Sydney again, i would stay at Base without a doubt.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Hi There,

Thank you so much for your great review. We love hearing good things about our hostel, especially because we spend a lot of time in trying to get it all right. I especially love hearing that you think our staff was nice. I think that a clean hostel with nice staff is already "half the job". We got new power point in all rooms a few weeks ago so happy to hear that someone noticed them :)

Have a great trip and safe travels :)

Kind Regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

Good fun hostel! Lots of great memories of this place! Clean hostel, good size rooms, cool bar nice place to stay! Good bar and common area to meet people! Good kitchen to plenty of room to cook and meet people! Beds were good bathrooms were fine! Good staff!

Stayed August 2014
Raph K, Manager at Base Backpackers, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Hi,
Thanks for leaving your awesome feedback with us about your stay here this week! It is fantastic to see that we really nailed it this time, and hope we get the chance to have you stay with us again sometime soon,

Warm regards and happy travels,
BASE Crew!