“Down the Rabbit hole !” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Melbourne, Australia
“Down the Rabbit hole !”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2012

What an unbelievable property ! Decorated by Lewis Carroll, after he had gone down the rabbit hole, the most surprising mix of colour, objects and textures make the whole property a sensory overload.
The bar was incredible, although the service left a bit to be desired, terrific atmosphere and this place is clearly the place to be seen at the moment.
Front desk and door staff were friendly and informative.
Rooms were like the rest of the property, the only down point was the bathroom. Great layout, although the lack of a door on the toilet might be an issue for some, but awful lighting. I struggled to have enough light to shave in the mornings, even with the curtains in the room thrown wide open.
Overall, a terrific property, I'll definitely be back !

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Dear Petefromrye,

When I describe the property to my friends, I always reference Alice in Wonderland. Oversized high backed chairs in the brightest of bright colours, tea sets, costumed staff. I completely agree with you, and I think that is one of the best compliments I have seen written about the property.

I'm delighted that the staff were their gorgeous selves and took wonderful care of you. Even more delighted that they knew their stuff as well! Not just pretty faces, the QT Team!

We've had a few questions about the lighting in the bathrooms. There is a light on the side of the mirrors that creates light specifically for applying makeup and shaving. We might need to give a little pointer out in the rooms methinks, as it's now a proper recurring question mark on this site!

Please come again soon, 'when you're lonely in a world of your (sic) own'!

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (400)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2012

This was one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in and I'm sure that no one will find such an interesting designed hotel in whole NSW. The decor is eleven out of ten. The reception staff was fantastic, room and bed are amazing. A great mini bar with every thing you can think of. But the decor is to die for - unbelievable!
My only complaint will be the bell boys and girls standing on the entrance - rude and full of themselves. I came in and out more than 10 times and never got even a nod in the head. They are standing there and talking with each other and just don't care about what is going around them.
Even when I was looking to check in I had to ask for their attention in order to get some help regarding the reception location.
I will love to come back through the back door...

Room Tip: Before you make a booking join their loyalty club so you will get a better rate and a late checkout...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Oron R
Dear Oron R,

Holy Shazaam! That is one mighty impressive Trip Advisor portfolio you have going there! 61 reviews! I love that you are getting on here and sharing with travellers. Legendary.

Before I address your praise of the hotels design and and internal staffing, I want to say that I am horrified (horrified!) by the staff at the front of the hotel being snobby towards you. I have to say, every time I have been in they have been nothing but nice (yes, I work there so that's not a true representation), but it has been noted in other reviews that they were awesome too. So, I'm thinking we may have:

a) some staff being flirty pants with other staff and forgetting why they are standing there (to take care of you).
b) a serious case of a mass bad service day.
or,
c) an alien invasion. Something like body snatchers. Where our perfectly groomed and painstakingly trained staff were taken over by evil beings who made them forget everything they had learned.

I am betting on a mix of all three. Just kidding, it's probably a little from column a and a little from column b. I will comb through the footage to make sure this is not a regular occurrence, like the creepy lady that I am!.

Now to the good bit - you loved us. You loved the decor, the internal staffing, and the minibar (how good is the petrone!).

Please come back Oran. In fact, let me know when you are coming, and I will watch the monitors to really creep them out! (Just kidding again, sort of).

You're fun and we want you back!
Portugal
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

My best meal in Sydney.
Scenario at the entrance full of contemporary arty decoration.
Service is amazong and table set is very confortable.
Wine service is very good.
Oysters: 5 stars
Top quality meat.
Nice tuna
Dessert with caramel was amazing

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hugamam
Dear hugamam,

An international shout out! Fabuluos! Portugal is on my bucket list. I'm dying to get to Madeira! Now this is almost certainly a review of Gowings Bar and Grill, our QT Sydney dining experience, and it is.....drumroll please..... our first review on Trip Advisor dedicate solely to it!

Getting 5 out of 5 on on first review is fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing. We are beyond happy that you loved it, and I hope you get to come back (on this trip or the next.)

agradeço-lhe !

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

The QT is like staying in your own apartment in the centre of Sydney. Food, service, decor cleanliness all get ten out of ten. Beds even more comfortable than the Westin. Restaurant is well priced and delicious. Staff were fantastic as nothing was a problem. Only minor minus was the high valet parking charge. We will make the QT our Sydney home for future stays.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Madagencies
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 21 November 2012
Dear Madagencies,

I completely agree with you! Every time I stay at the hotel I feel like I am on Gossip Girl! So glad that you are going to make us your home away from home.

Can't wait to see you again!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our special night at the QT, from the moment we were greeted by the friendly staff at the front of the hotel! All of the staff were so attentive nothing was too much trouble! I am amazed how anyone can say anything bad about the hotel. I first looked at the website before it was officially opened, you could see from
The images the moodiness of the hotel with the colors fixtures and fittings. I am a Interior Decorator, so it was no surprise to us, what we were to see when we walked into the room, we had a fabulous view of theQVB top, which made me feel I could be anywhere in Europe..(room 1016). Boutique it certainly is, and we choose normally to stay in such a hotel. If we wanted the norm there are so many ordinary ones to choose from in Sydney.
The breakfast was superb. Again we could of lingered for hours, felt right at home! I also joined the QT program which gives you specials etc, and we asked for a late checkout the next day....... 4pm I had to ask twice is that right.....?... Unheard of?... Enabled us to have the full day, come back and check out at 3.30!
We took our friends for cocktails this weekend in the Gowing Bar, fabulous , and they now want to stay for their coming Anniversary, oh and we are coming back for my birthday in December! Yes we are sold, so Congratulations QT we will be telling everyone!

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank RHONDA48
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 26 October 2012
Dear RHONDA48,

Another fantastic review from a Sydneysider. Thanks so much for supporting our new hotel and we are absolutely overjoyed that you had such a wonderful time.

I know! Imagine being able to have a sleep in, then head out and about, and still be able to be late enough the next day to sneak in a cheeky espresso martini before you checkout! QT Sydney - it's the life!

We would love to see you again! If you would shoot me a message on here I'll make sure we VIP the shiznit out of you for your bday :)

With massive thanks

Sunshine coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2012

We are lovers of boutique hotels and all they offer. We were so looking forward to our 3 day stay and it was fantastic but after we settled into our room with fantastic decor the shine started to disappear.
If you are going tp stay here we suggest that you stay away from the bar and restaurant. If we had of we would have given this hotel 10/10. The bar staff were appalling. In an uncrowded bar it took forever to get a drink and them when we wanted to charge the room they didn’t know how and then took 5 minutes to find a pen. After that we thought let’s get out of here...pathetic.
The next morning we had breakfast in the adjoining restaurant. Both meals were terrible. I had a eggs Florentine and my wife had the a smoked fish dish with eggs. The vegie juice was nice, but that was it.

The location is great and the hotel staff were very friendly (and cute).
Will we be back? Probably, but we know what to avoid.
Also let the staff get your bags as there are stairs in the middle levels of the hotel that you will need to work around.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank justcruizen
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear justcruizen,

Thanks so much for giving us a shout out. Wow! 50 reviews! What an awesome effort to share the love with your fellow travellers.

I'm hearing that you had an awesome stay, marred by a couple of pretty average sounding food and beverage experiences. Sounds to me like something was amiss! We've been getting such awesome reviews in these areas from some very tough cookies, so I'm really disappointed that you didn't get to share in the same levels of service and beautiful food that others have.

In a hotel that is so magnificently put together, with so many excellent staff members, this simply should not happen. We are going to do a little reccy and see if we can snoop out any hiccups to make sure this is not a recurring issue.

Thanks for giving us the heads up, and I'm quietly confident that it will be a small tweaking needed to get us back in your major good books ahead of your next stay, which I hope will be soon.

Big thanks and many sorry's.

Grafton, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

Stayed one night as couple, we are probably a bit older than the targeted demographic !! We had a great time, decor is fun and interesting, the staff were extra ordinarily friendly and helpful.The valet parking was great and good value, the cocktail bar was fun but a bit loud and it was quite difficult to hold a normal conversation .The attached cafe near the hotel entrance was very good and reasonably priced .The bed was very comfortable and room facilities good except there was'nt a proper full length mirror Nigel Bacon

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NigelBacon
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 22 October 2012
Dear NigelBacon,

Now that, Mr Bacon, is an awesome name! I bet you get the 'seven degrees of Nigel Bacon' comment all the time. Too fun!

OK, back to the review. There's no target demographic for the hotel, only a target culture, and it sounds to me as though you fit the bill. We love lovers of art, delight in people who immerse themselves in food and wine, and spend our rare minutes of down time checking out the outfits on our guests. I bet we noticed you!

You're absolutely right, it can be hard to get a quiet word in at Gilt Lounge, as it really is geared for the 24 hour party person, so I'm really happy that you found Parlous Lane Roasters which offers a more delicate environment for people to relax in.

We would love to see you again soon, and send you a big high five for giving us a go!