“Terrific boutique-style hotel”

Ranked #13 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney
“Terrific boutique-style hotel”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

If you're looking for something a bit different to your stock-standard 5-star hotel in Sydney, then the QT Sydney should be on the top of your list.
Beautifully-decorated large rooms and gigantic bathrooms are a great change-up from the usual offerings in Sydney.
I will definitely be back!

1 Thank Richard B
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Sydney guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 17 December 2013

This is a great hotel in the thick of the shopping area of Sydney. Really cool decor, we got upgraded to a junior suite on the top floor which was amazing.
We ate dinner in the restaurant and though the fit out was memorable the food wasn't, maybe a little over priced compared to other Sydney restaurants.
Definitely worth a stay, we had our kids when we stayed and probably wouldn't stay there with kids again but would love to go back with just the wife. We stayed at the swissotel across the road as well which was also great and was more suited to families.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Dearest QT Sydney guest,

Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at the QT for 5 nights in the beginning of December. We both loved the place as it was very quirky, not your typical run of the mill blah, blah, blah hotel. The staff were very attentive and they always had a smile on their faces. We only ate breakfast at the hotel and this was very tasty with a good choice on the menu. For 2 of the nights we stayed in the Gowings side of the building which I preferred as it had more natural light. However, my husband preferred the other room! Location is fantastic, right in the thick of it. Very handy to restaurants, shops and ferry etc. My only gripes, which some of the other reviewers have also mentioned were the poor lighting in the bathrooms and lack of towel hooks lol! Also, the lack of storage for clothing etc. There is adequate storage if there is only one of you or you are only staying for a couple of nights but we struggled with the 2 of us staying there for 5 nights to unpack hardly any of our cases. These are just minor things that the Hotel can easily rectify. All in all I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Personally I preferred the room on the Gowings side of the building as it had more natural light.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

This is my second review for this amazing hotel.
Just stayed for 3 nights and had all my business meetings there as well as a couple of social functions . Each time I had someone arrive for a meeting, they were escorted to my little area in the guest lounge offered tea or coffee and so well looked after by Claudia, a delightful charming lady who looks after the lounge. By the second day all the staff were calling me by my name. One of them even found a credit card I had dropped in the street and recognised my name on it. Extraordinary. Apart from the beautiful rooms , wonderful restaurant and bars, the thing which really impressed me was that the staff so obviously love working there . The young people at the street entrance are just delightful. QT has really become my home away from home.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business

bathurst, australia
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We were to visit several weeks back, but due to overbooking we volunteered to be put up some place else which was nice. I wish i did not now because this place is the best accommodation in Sydney.Great location close to shopping, bars restaurants & transport The rooms funky groovy stylish, lovely comfortable beds. Service from bell hops to reception to checkout second to none a credit to all. We did not have a chance for dinner or cocktail etc, but if the restaurant, bars & spa live up the the service we received for our stay we cannot wait to be back and try what we missed out on

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 December 2013

I had heard good things of the QT from a colleague so was keen to try it out. I was mainly in Sydney to visit family but as they live 40 minutes out of the CBD chose to stay at the QT for the location. If you want to be central then it certainly is perfect - opposite the QVB on one side and the Westfield shopping centre on another. Unlike other more corporate looking hotels I've stayed at in the city there was a great buzz about the hotel. The staff were always friendly and helpful. I was even offered a free coffee as I waited for my Hunter Valley tour at 7am!!

My room was in the Gowings building - it was a small inconvenience to have to switch lifts but nothing major and I prefer to stay in hotels that have some character to them. I love the decor - super stylish but comfortable. If you like a bath then this is definitely the place for you. They are all huge and even have tealights ready and waiting if you like a bit of atmosphere!

I will definitely be staying here next time I visit Sydney!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

Roma
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Well the website gives an excellent impression unfortunately the QT Sydney does not actually measure up to the 5star standard they advertise. For a start we booked a suite as when we go away my husband like to relax and sleep and I like to have visitors or watch movies etc so I book a suite because a suite is a bedroom and SEPARATE living area. The suites here are only rooms and not much bigger than an average hotel room ( unless you include the ridiculously long hallway in the entrance). And don''t get any ideas about doing your makeup in the room as the whole place is dimly lit even in the bathroom you cannot get a decent light to see what you are doing, I went out not sure what I really looked like! It was a hilarious farce running around a room full of mirrors and lights and not one enables you to see yourself.
So the disappointment basically started when we entered the room to discover it was NOT A SUITE!!! Then my beloved opened the fridge to begin his usual raiding of all the beverages to discover the fridge did not work and was hot including all the beers drinks etc. We rang reception waited twenty minutes, rang again as we were in danger of dying of thirst, waited, rang again (!) finally a very nice but very confused looking man came to our suite fiddled around with it decided he couldn't get it to work and said he would be back. We called reception to get some cold drinks and an ice bucket to keep them cool, got put through to the bar, had to explain in some detail to the barman what an ice bucket was and why we wanted it (what the hell!!) we eventually got some cold drinks and a bucket of ice which we were charged fully for. After about two hours of various staff coming through and looking at the bar fridge they finally decided to give us a new one. I watched in disbelief as these - I'm sorry but idiots, put all the hot drinks into the fridge. My husband pointed out to them that it would take some time for hot drinks to get cool and in any case once a carbonated drink is cool and then warmed again it is no good! They simply looked at us dimly and continued to do what they were doing. This whole ridiculous process took over two hours. We had arrangements for the evening and had been travelling since 5am so were really in need of some sleep before we went out but because it was not really a suite we could not sleep with a troupe of incompetent staff trailing through our room. I do not expect anything for free but it is standard to at least apologise and maybe restock the fridge with cold drinks. Just to get some drinks we ended up ordering through room service and paying extra because of their incompetence. It was utterly disgraceful. And to top it off my husband was abused by security staff when he tried to open the front door after hours to get back in. I have friends in Sydney who told me to stay at the Shangri la or the Hyatt, Why don't I listen! The lady who checked us out in the morning was extremely pleasant and a real asset. I must also mention the food which was amazing, I would go back to the restaurant but I'd suggest staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: The suites are only the size of a normal hotel room and there is no separation of living areas.
14 Thank Helsi F
sasrowlandsQT, Director Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Hi Helsi F,

Thanks kindly for your review. Apologies regarding the mini bar fridge - glad it all worked out in the end. Regarding the suites, it's always a great idea to check out the room descriptions when you book to make sure you are booking what you require, especially if you have specific needs. We do have rooms with separate lounges, our penthouses, so these would have been perfect for you.

There are other sticky points in the review ('incompetent staff', and abuse from security) that feel a bit like a vent and not real indicators of the hotel which can be found in the bulk of our reviews, so will decline to comment on them.

We appreciate you taking the time to review the property.