“What an experience!”
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #12 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just WOW! Absolutely loved the character and the service at this seriously decadent and quirky hotel located right near QVB. It is perfect for shopping and/or sightseeing. I had to come to Sydney from Melbourne for a one hour meeting so decided to spoil myself with two nights at QT. I loved all the historical touches they incorporated into the decor. Apparently the wall of suitcases on the Reception level was a requirement of the design because they were part of the old theatre building.

I had breakfast in Parlour Lane both mornings - great coffee and the Avo Bomb was divine. Stopped for a drink one night at Gowings and tried the Mushroom and Rice balls for dinner, sitting at the bar. Great atmosphere and an excellent Margerita.

The room was decadent and very large for a city hotel. I was in a deluxe room on the ninth floor overlooking George St with a view of QVB. Styling was eccentric but perfect for the theme of the hotel. Huge deep bath and sliding panels that opened up the bathroom to the main room. Loved it!

I stayed on a Thursday and Friday night and found the room to be extremely quiet. Only two gripes - the bed was way too soft (and yes I know this is personal preference) but I didn't sleep well and woke with a sore neck both mornings. Other reviewers have noted the low lighting, which does fit with the hotel's style, and in principle I loved it, but you REALLY need a stronger light option in the bathroom - we girls need to be able to see what we are doing when we put on our makeup..... There was a small lighted mirror but it was not sufficient.

I think the door staff were one of my favourite things. From my spot in Parlour Lane I watched them in action. Helpful, friendly, attentive, funny and serious eye-candy! It was really quite amusing watching the expressions on the faces of passerby when spotting the super-cool tall girl in the red wig.

How does the lift know how many people are in it? "Are you lonesome tonight" is stuck in my brain.....

Hasta la vista baby.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy R
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hi Wendy R,

Thanks so much for a gorgeous and comprehensive review of the property. We absolutely love that we ticked all the boxes for you to have such a wonderful stay and really appreciate the time you've taken to let us know about it.

The elevator has sensors in the roof that change the music based on how many people are in it! Here is a link that will describe the full experience for you http://www.outtraveler.com/hotels-resorts/2013/08/21/video-high-tech-sydney-hotel-elevator-messes-guests

'People don't take trips. Trips take people'. - John Steinbeck.

There are newer reviews for QT Sydney

Reviewed 7 August 2014

One of the coolest urban hotels I've visited all around the world. Sexy and elegant, with striking public spaces. Everything is fresh with newest technologies, still maintaining the old charm of the building. Great in-house restaurants. Guests are met by porters dressed as if for a production of Cabaret - amazing! The most fun place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Kristaps K,

Fabulous review and sounds as though the property was the perfect mix of stage and substance for you.

We love that you took the time to tell us you loved us!

'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail'. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband booked the hotel for my birthday and it did not disappoint. What an amazing hotel. I had never known about this hotel yet it's right in the centre of the city with best access to Pitt street mall and QVB. The room was decorated in lush furniture and funky pieces of knick knacks. The bed was so soft and comfy.
The bathroom, wow. What a bath tub. And loved the shower and the fact that you could open the bathroom up to the main bedroom.
Complimentary movies which was good and 11am check out what I found rare for a sydney hotel.
It's located above the state theatre so it would be perfect if you were seeing a show in town.
The bar is also quite cool. Just went there for one drink.
Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: I think we had a deluxe room which had a view of the QVB. It was a large room with great bathroom.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Hi Kristy L,

What a beautiful birthday surprise! We are delighted that we helped to make your special weekend even more lovely and luxurious and that you were able to have a soak in the tub! My absolutely favourite thing to do while at QT Sydney.

I hope that we get to take care of you again next year.

'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list'. - Susan Sontag.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

A truly brilliantly designed and decorated hotel.

If Mad Men was made today, it's a place I'd expect to see Roger Stirling.

Food great, service great, decor great.

2 very very small notes of the hotel:
i) The room music on TV when you come in is a bit 80's!
b) Part of the iron was broken and not working (button on top missing)
Roger Stirling wouldn't accept this:)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Hi TheBaron62,

That was a really fun review. I am guessing you may be our answer to a modern day Roger Sterling AUS Style? We are delighted to have met your impeccable standards of service and decor.

We will have a look at the music (it's a digital artwork so I'm wondering if you had a chance to check out the TV to watch it at the same time, which may have given an extra dimension to the experience and tipped us back into 'hot' rather than 'not' territory.

Sorry re the iron. You are right on this one. However, I must say, I am very doubtful that Roger Sterling would ever have ironed his own shirt *clink of martini glass and click of the fingers sees a pretty blonde enter the room to iron said shirt as Roger bollocks some hapless creative on the phone.

"Look, we've got oysters rockefeller! Beef Wellington! Napoleons! We leave this lunch alone, it'll take over Europe." Roger Sterling.

Hope to see you again soonest.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

A truly great experience. We only wish we could have stayed longer to enjoy our room more! Greeted at the street and luggage taken. And the excellent service continued throughout our stay. Excellent styling of the entire hotel. The bed was amazing and felt like a warm hug!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lydia k

Hi lydiak,

Gorgeous review from someone whom I am sure was a delightful guest.

We would love to take care of you next time you are in town from Radelaide.

Great description of the bed too!

'Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.' -
Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Photos Gallery at Instagram or www.facebook.com/mskotravelsblog
other reviews www.mskotravels.com

How many times have I walked passed the State Theatre Building not realising that this quirky, cool Hotel was there! And there's no wonder I haven't notice, the only clues they give you is a small circular sign outside at the front of the building and a red-haired funky door-lady almost as if acting like a gate guardian.

It was my husband the one who discovered it, he saw an advertisement on a magazine a few weeks back and while enjoying a nice drop at Ash St Cellars I suggested to stay in the city, he sneakily went behind my back and made a extremely romantic gesture and arrange a surprised booking online.

I thought we were going for dinner while walking on George St and then, there we were, standing in front of this 200 guest suite building that was created within the historic Gowings and State Theatre Building.

Straight away you are transported in a musical elevator to a different era making it hard to believe you are still in Sydney. The "Wow Factor" is the mixture of gothic, steampunk, retro, vintage and burlesque style, so tastefully done.

First stop: Level 1 - Reception & Gilt Lounge. You will be greeted by friendly professional staff. Don't miss the custom made feature wall made out of books, old televisions, vintage suitcases and pieces of furniture, hosted by stunning dress makers mannequins.

There’s also cabinets full with interesting stuff that you can purchase.

The lighting it's quite dark all throughout, perfect for a romantic setting. Keep an eye for the black hand holding your room number, quite chilling!

Inside the rooms prepare yourself to be amazed by many of the out-of-ordinary details such as the DIY martini cocktail set - glasses and shaker, the Nespresso machine and milk froother, the crystal vases, trendy furniture and choice of materials, finally free WIFI and Movies -I just cannot believe other hotels still charging for these - a mini bar full of surprising things such as the condoms, emergency bow tie, ginger man cookies, ichocolates, large rainbow swirl lollipops and premium spirits - Belvedere Vodka, 10 Cane Rum and Patron XO Cafe among others.

Now you can truly relax on this oversized soaking bathtub and large walk-in shower. I love the fact that the room and bathroom is connected by a sliding mirrored door. It makes the whole suite flood very natural, more relaxing, perfect for a couple's night! I was a bit disappointed to find only minimal toiletries while there was so much extra detail everywhere else.

I was tempted to order room service offer by the Gowings Bar and Grill which serves pretty good australian modern dishes and lighter items after 11pm but got caught up on the chilling wave and we were more focus on enjoying our company while drinking wine and wrapped on the comfy black bath robes that on our appetite.

If you are thinking that the Mini Bar prices and Room Dining will be market up excessively I think you are right, but I can see the effort put into the things they offer so I think it can be easily justified.

Never before I have seen my 3 year old so still that while watching 101 Dalmatians, both the old and new Disney version. So having the free movies was a big plus for us.

Perhaps this is not the best place to stay on a business trip, it lacks on lighting but most importantly on power points that are so needed these days with the increase of technology devices. I just can't forgive a hotel that charges $300 a night and self rates itself 5 star and does not provide a good alarm clock with an iphone and android dock such as those one created by Bose or Sonos. Also we had trouble getting the in-house phone to work so I had to place a call from my mobile phone. I think overall it needs a bigger attention on technology gadgets.

If you have time there's plenty of pampering packages for both genres. Men can step back in time at The Barber Shop enjoying a shave or beard trim while seated on a antique leather barber's chair. The SpaQ offers health and beauty treats for everybody.
Shopping from this location is never a problem with the two Australian Giant Department Stores, Myer and David Jones, just minutes away as well as any other small, big and luxury brands.

For me the disappointment came as soon as I laid down on the bed. I spend a restless night due to the extreme softness of the mattress, I literary sank. It was very uncomfortable.

In the morning in an effort to shake the bad spine posture off us we treated ourselves to a deluxe bath and Champagne breakfast, checked out and headed downstairs for a drink. Reached the Parlour Lane and we were again astounded by this unique decor with the "legs with leggings" feature bar stools. Who design this place? What a great job!

Decided to stick around for a bit longer and went back up to the Mezzanine Level, it was fully booked for lunch at Gowings Bar & Grill but we were able to sit on the lounge area and had a drink, enjoy this special setting before heading back to regular Sydney.  This restaurant seems quite promising, fantastic wine list with a equally great temperature control cellar, the wait staff look sharp and modern in black and white wearing suspensors. The table seating its beautiful and the voices of busy business men and women closing deals over lunch while drinking expensive bottles of wines creates a superb atmosphere that goes hand to hand with this fabulous luxurious establishment.

Book Online http://www.qtsydney.com.au

Address: 49 Market Street | Cnr Market and George Streets
Sydney, New South Wales 2000, Australia

Self Rated 5 Star

How to get there:

BY CAR

QT Sydney is located 20 minutes from Sydney International and Domestic Airport. Follow the signs from the Airport to the city along Southern Cross Drive. Continue along the Southern Cross Drive and take exit Sir John Young Crescent for Metroad 1 (partial Toll road). Merge onto Macquarie St exit. Turn left onto Macquarie St. Turn left onto St James Road. Turn right onto Market St. Hotel is on the left.

From the South – Enter via the Harbour Bridge, take the exit on the right onto M4 Western Distributor Freeway. Take the Grosvenor St/York St exit towards City Centre/City N. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for York St/City Centre and merge onto York St. Turn left onto Kings St. Turn right onto Castlereagh St. Turn right onto Market St. The hotel will be on the left.

BY TAXI
From Sydney Airport - approximately $35-40. Prices vary dependent on traffic conditions.

BY TRAIN
From Sydney Airport - Sydney International/Domestic Airport, approximately $16 adult single, 25 minute journey. Stop at Town Hall (approximately 10 minutes walk) or St James Train Station (approximately 5 minutes walk)

BY AIRPORT SHUTTLE BUS
Available to the hotel. Contact the hotel for further information.
Parking: Limited valet car parking is available and is subject to availability. ** Contact the Hotel for further details. Costs apply.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Hi Ms K,

Thanks so much for such a comprehensive and glowing review of our property. We will share this with our team and I'm sure they will be as delighted by the content as I am.

Your blog is fantastic! Congrats on creating such a wonderful hub of lifestyle reviews.

We would love to take care of you again.

'Wherever you go, go with all your heart.' - Confucius.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I'm a Sydneysider and live about 1km from this hotel, but I decided to stay here one night because I felt like it. And boy am I glad I did. The hotel is definitely filling in a gap that is missing in the Sydney hotels market, and it is doing it very well! The bedding was amazing, and everything about my room was great - I particularly loved the Nespresso machine and the card shaped bottle opener. Obviously the hotel was very trendy in its decor, and I will have no qualms recommending this hotel to friends who decide to visit Sydney. Bravo! From a Sydneysider, born and bred, I am thankful that you're doing what you're doing at QT!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Hi gcdv,

I love, love, love that you stayed with us because you 'felt like it'. There is, in my opinion, nothing more relaxing that a hotel stay for the sake of it, and no better way to rediscover your home town that to see it through the eyes of a concierge in a great hotel.

Thanks for staying, and thanks also for letting us know that you loved your stay.

'I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move.' -Robert Louis Stevenson