“Great Quirky Hotel, Brilliant Staff”
Review of QT Sydney

QT Sydney
Ranked #13 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Queensland, Australia
“Great Quirky Hotel, Brilliant Staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Had an urgent but quick trip to Sydney and stayed at QT Sydney. Normally stay at the other end of the Pitt St Mall at the Westin which never does me wrong, but thought we'd try the QT as it was reccommended to me recently.

If you have a car,its a bit of a challenge during the day, but the valets make it easy and grab your vehicle and bags with massive smiles and enthusiasm.

We were directed upstairs to reception on level one. We knew our room wasnt ready as we had already been informed by text it wouldnt be ready until the afternoon. (kool service).

I had unintensionaly booked a room with 2 double beds and the young lady on reception noticed this and asked if this was correct and if I would prefer a king bed. I remarked that a King would be fine and rather than adjust the booked room, upgraded us to a corner suite!! Fantastic!!

We left the hotel by car a number of times and our vehcile was requested prior to heading downstairs and there was minimal wait each time.

The suite room was very large with massive comfortable bed. Decor is very quirky with all sorts of stuff going on. Mini bar was well appointed with complimenatry Nespresso coffee and and interesting range of helpful items including games!!

Although we did not dine on the premisies, the menu range looks good and the coffee shop downstairs is well appointed and very popular.

In summary this is a great hotel, well located in the CBD, about 50m from the southern end of the Pitt St Mall and Westfield. THE STAFF WERE BRILLIANT!!! and this what will make me return, always attentive without being intrusive.

Our compliments to both management and especially the valets and front counter staff. I would highly reccomend this hotel

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DaffyDoyle
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Hi Daffman 70,

What an absolutely magnificent review! Just warms our hearts to see these types of reviews.

How gorgeous are the Valets and Directors of Chaos? You are so right about the enthusiasm and massive smiles. They are a real treat.

Thanks also for the notes on the decor and the general service. I bet you guys were a real pleasure to take care of also.

“To travel is to live.” ― Hans Christian Andersen,

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 13 August 2014

The rooms were very clean and well decorated. They were maybe a little small. the concept between the bathroom and bedroom was fantastic. the bath was way too small.

Reasonably dissapointed with the parking charge at the end of the stay. my wife rang before we got there and was told there was ample parking. The car was taken from us. then on checkout we had to pay $70.00 per night in parking. this was not advertised or spoken of until checkout. i think it is poor that this was not explained on check in

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Adam G,

Thanks kindly for your review. We will have a good look into your notes and you are absolutely right, parking charges should be discussed and approved at checkin.

We really appreciate you taking the time to let us know about your stay.

“There is a kind of magicness about going far away and then coming back all changed.” ― Kate Douglas Wiggin.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The TV was extremely slow to change channel, we needed two separate people to try and fix the issue, no real luck. The fridge was nowhere near cold, I only had one warm beer, not happy as I wanted another. Very annoyed at the cost to have B grade facilities. Sort out the issues otherwise you have a good hotel.

• Stayed August 2014
2 Thank Sonya A
Hi Sonya A,

Thank you, we will check these notes out and make the necessary amendments,

“I didn't know that the world could be so mind-blowingly beautiful.” ― Justina Chen.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Booked a girls weekend away for me and my friend- the booking was for a king room so I rang well in advance and asked about the possibility of splitting the bed to into 2. I was assured this was no problem. I also rang the Spa to try and make bookings for us both. I left 2 voice messages after being told 'they would call me back.' No one called.

We flew into Sydney and arrived about 1pm. The room was not ready so we left our bags and headed out- no biggie. Before leaving I confirmed that we had 2 beds- yes we would have. I also mentioned about not hearing from the Spa but the check in girl took no interest in this other than to say "I'm sorry about that.'

Arrived back late arvo and were able to go up to the room. Unbelievably, beside the huge King bed all made up beautifully with pillows, colored cushions etc, was a single fold up bed. Did they honestly think this was ok? Where were the 2 proper beds we were assured we would have? Which one of us was supposed to have that when the other slept in the big bed? At reception I was told the hotel had overbooked their king rooms with beds that could be split. We were forced to share the one bed. I asked that they come and remove the fold out. "No problem, I'll see to that right away."

But back to the room itself. It was absolutely stunning- so different from most hotels. Cool, dark, sexy, plush and gorgeous. Really loved it- lots of special little touches everywhere; interesting mini bar and supplies (Pick-Up-Sticks, a bow tie, gingerbread men) ingredients to make cocktails and some nice glassware, great bath with candles in a beautiful bathroom (no door to the toilet- hate that) lovely products in the bathroom, and other usual amenities. Good internet.

A couple of gripes; no where to put cases except the floor. I mean it's a hotel with people who have suitcases and bags. Where do they think people should put them? My bedside light did not work- rang for someone to come and fix it- someone came and said they would get a different person to come and fix it- no one ever came. Bad lighting, like seriously bad. It's fine to have low lighting to create a mood for most of the time, but something entirely different when you need to put make up on. Couldn't see what was what in our suitcases on the floor either as there was no light above. No daylight from outside as our view was a brick wall a few metres away. And no one came to remove the bed despite now asking twice!

The bed itself was the highlight- a QT gel dream bed we are told. Absolutely heavenly, soft and comfortable with great pillows too. Loved the colours in the room and the carpet- wouldn't mind it in my own home. Free DVDs to watch on the big TV. We ate in Gowings Bar and Grill which was pumping on a Friday night. Food was great, some drinks a bit pricey but it is Sydney CBD so to be expected and not a complaint just an observation. A glass of Majella Cab Sav at $17 for example when a bottle is $35.

We loved the experience of the room but just wish the service had lived up to their self rated 5 star and at $850 a night for the QT Lite Package I would have expected it. Our dinner, not drinks, was included in the rate which we opted for after we couldn't get the spa to return our calls, which was our first option. As for the Spa, pity for them; we spent our money on facials somewhere else and $585 on products! Their loss.

If you book here just be aware that some of the staff can't do what they should, or say they will.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank heatherjanice
Hi Heatherjanice,

Thanks so much for a really comprehensive review about the hotel and service. We will run through the points of motivation for us to hone our service with a fine toothed comb.

That $850 rate though, I think is a typo. The QT Life package is from around $300 a night? We are checking on this now in case there was a rate mistake.

Thanks so much again.

“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.” ― Anita Desai

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Just WOW! Absolutely loved the character and the service at this seriously decadent and quirky hotel located right near QVB. It is perfect for shopping and/or sightseeing. I had to come to Sydney from Melbourne for a one hour meeting so decided to spoil myself with two nights at QT. I loved all the historical touches they incorporated into the decor. Apparently the wall of suitcases on the Reception level was a requirement of the design because they were part of the old theatre building.

I had breakfast in Parlour Lane both mornings - great coffee and the Avo Bomb was divine. Stopped for a drink one night at Gowings and tried the Mushroom and Rice balls for dinner, sitting at the bar. Great atmosphere and an excellent Margerita.

The room was decadent and very large for a city hotel. I was in a deluxe room on the ninth floor overlooking George St with a view of QVB. Styling was eccentric but perfect for the theme of the hotel. Huge deep bath and sliding panels that opened up the bathroom to the main room. Loved it!

I stayed on a Thursday and Friday night and found the room to be extremely quiet. Only two gripes - the bed was way too soft (and yes I know this is personal preference) but I didn't sleep well and woke with a sore neck both mornings. Other reviewers have noted the low lighting, which does fit with the hotel's style, and in principle I loved it, but you REALLY need a stronger light option in the bathroom - we girls need to be able to see what we are doing when we put on our makeup..... There was a small lighted mirror but it was not sufficient.

I think the door staff were one of my favourite things. From my spot in Parlour Lane I watched them in action. Helpful, friendly, attentive, funny and serious eye-candy! It was really quite amusing watching the expressions on the faces of passerby when spotting the super-cool tall girl in the red wig.

How does the lift know how many people are in it? "Are you lonesome tonight" is stuck in my brain.....

Hasta la vista baby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Wendy R
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Sydney, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Hi Wendy R,

Thanks so much for a gorgeous and comprehensive review of the property. We absolutely love that we ticked all the boxes for you to have such a wonderful stay and really appreciate the time you've taken to let us know about it.

The elevator has sensors in the roof that change the music based on how many people are in it! Here is a link that will describe the full experience for you http://www.outtraveler.com/hotels-resorts/2013/08/21/video-high-tech-sydney-hotel-elevator-messes-guests

'People don't take trips. Trips take people'. - John Steinbeck.

Riga, Latvia
Reviewed 7 August 2014

One of the coolest urban hotels I've visited all around the world. Sexy and elegant, with striking public spaces. Everything is fresh with newest technologies, still maintaining the old charm of the building. Great in-house restaurants. Guests are met by porters dressed as if for a production of Cabaret - amazing! The most fun place to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Hi Kristaps K,

Fabulous review and sounds as though the property was the perfect mix of stage and substance for you.

We love that you took the time to tell us you loved us!

'Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail'. - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband booked the hotel for my birthday and it did not disappoint. What an amazing hotel. I had never known about this hotel yet it's right in the centre of the city with best access to Pitt street mall and QVB. The room was decorated in lush furniture and funky pieces of knick knacks. The bed was so soft and comfy.
The bathroom, wow. What a bath tub. And loved the shower and the fact that you could open the bathroom up to the main bedroom.
Complimentary movies which was good and 11am check out what I found rare for a sydney hotel.
It's located above the state theatre so it would be perfect if you were seeing a show in town.
The bar is also quite cool. Just went there for one drink.
Would recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: I think we had a deluxe room which had a view of the QVB. It was a large room with great bathroom.