“A home from Home!!”

Ranked #153 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Malvern, United Kingdom
“A home from Home!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

I wish I had know about this hosetl from the beginning! Loved it here!!
It was cheap and you share a room with 3 others- so It quite cosy but you end up getting to know people in your room really well! Only problem is I didnt get to meet many otehr from the hostel!
The room provides you with everything you need!
The kitchen is on the roof with an eating area which is lovely on a clear night.
Meet some amazing people here.
Glebe is a beatiful place to live too! and no too far from the city if you know the short cut!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Stayed here for a long period over the course of my 12 months back packing in Oz, anytime I returned to Sydney I always stayed there. Staff very friendly and understanding. Fully equipped roof top kitchen with ''AMAZING VIEWS'' of the Sydney Skyline, could spend hours up there.

Common room downstairs where you can catch up with friends and have a few drinks after a long days sight seeing. Great location maybe a 15 min walk from Sydney City Center or there is buses outside the door of the hostel that will take you directly to the City Center, very nice selections of bars, restaurants and take aways on your door step and a gorgeous park a 10 min walk from the hostel with beautiful views of the Anzac Bridge.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Grenoble, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

Considering the high prices in Sydney, I would say that it's a very good place to stay! For 3 days or 3 months you can live in a friendly atmosphere, meet poeple, especially if you're looking for a job: the location is just perfect, near the city center in a lovely neighborhood full of bars and restaurants... You can go to the CBD by walk!
For the same price I first rented a room in a share house and it was just horrible and disgusting...
So I guess poeple criticizing the Rooftop didn't try to rent a cheap room in Sydney, cause it's crazy what you can find, so if you want to save money, be realistic!
Finally, I was staying in the Rooftop for a few months and it felt like home!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2013

My friend and I have been spending almost 3 months in this hostel. Nice and very friendly staff, very clean and well equipped rooms, and a wonderful hostel in general for a very cheap price. We were really looking for the catch, but we have never found it. We simply loved this place. It really did become a second home for us.

It is in a great location as well. Glebe Point Rd is known for nice restaurants, and little cafes. But you would also be in the city within a 15min walk.

We highly recommend this place for either one night or even a long term stay. You will not regret it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Having read the previous review I have to say I disagree totally with what was said.

I've stayed in this hostel on more than one occasion and have never had a problem. I think its great value for money considering every room has an ensuite and all are only 4 bed dorms. I have paid more in other hostels for 10 bed dorms where i've had to share a bathroom with the entire hostel.
The rooms are clean and have everything you need, same with the kitchen.
If I ever had a problem with my room (something breaking etc) the girls at reception were more than happy to help.

There may not be much of a party in this hostel but considering most people that stay here are working full time its good to be able to sleep at night.

All in all a great place to stay and I will definitely be back next time i'm in Sydney.

Thanks for a great stay Rooftop staff :-)

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MeganM556
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

When I first arrived in my room I thought hmm this might be a really nice place to stay, I might extend for another week. Thank god I did not.

ROOM

Gladly our aircon is working (although turning off from its own after a couple of hours) so the room can be cool if it's too hot outside.
The computer is not working at all, the only thing you can do is turning it on and off. So there's no internet for the stay as they don't offer wifi.
The bathroom is cleaned at most once a week so you can imagine how disgusting it is after a few days if 4 people are using it and some are not trying to keep it tidy.
Toilet paper is not provided so you either get your own toilet paper or buy one at the reception for $2 for 2 rolls of coles smartbuy toilet paper.
The bathroom door doesn't close properly and there are gaps where you can easily look through.
The beds are the worst beds I EVER slept in. The mattress I'm sleeping on is full of stains (blood probably from the period of a girl, and other stains I really don't want to know what it comes from). The beds are the squeakiest beds I ever heard or slept in. I can't turn around or anything else as it wakes everyone up everytime I move, it's terrible.

LOCATION
The location is brilliant as there's a bus stop right in front of the hostel or you can walk to central station within 20 - 30min

STAFF
On a scale from 0=unfriendly to 10=super friendly I give the staff a 4.

KITCHEN

The kitchen is on the rooftop so you have to walk 1 - 3 floors upstairs with all your food to get to the kitchen + you have to bring all your pots, plates, cutlery as well as all of it is located in the rooms.
It's good to have plates in the room if you want to have a snack there (as there's a fridge in the room) but then the should at least buy a few more pots to be kept upstairs in the kitchen, it's a real hazard to take just EVERYTHING upstairs to cook. Aditionally theres only one pot and one pan per room so if 2 people of one room want to cook at the same time - not possible.
The kitchen in general is tidy and big enough but way to hot as there's no aircon in there and it's located on the rooftop(as said)

PARKING

There's limited parking (but normally enough space for everyone) under the builing, but it's not underground, it's just under the building between poles and if you're having a van you're just f***** cause it's almost impossible to park. I'm a good parker but it took me about 15 or 20 minuted to park in there as every parking space is really tight and some are not high enough for vans.

COMMUNITY

If you want to socialize or party or anything else backpacker-like, then this hostel is nothing for you as most of the people are working and going to bed pretty early (or just work nd are not in the hostel). For me, this hostel does not have any kind of atmosphere.

All of this CAN be acceptable for the price of $154 a week, BUT

on the 2nd day of my stay I saw a lot of bugs crawling everywhere, in the shower, next to the sink and even in the kitchen!!
But the event of yesterday made me think of leaving earlier, I was mocing my coles-bag a bit and 5 COCKROACHES were running under it and were running away in a few holes. HOW DISGUSTING IS THAT?????
I am also not sure if there's no bedbugs, I'm not red anywhere but I'm scratching more than normal but maybe (and hopefully) I just imagine that!!

So overall, I really hope that you won't go to this hostel. I'm on a very low budget, I'm normally sleeping in my car in order not to pay for accomodation and I'm fine with not having a shower for a week but this hostel is just too much.
I'm and everyone else is worth more than staying in this hostel.

PLEASE listen to the reviews and decide to stay at another hostel. This is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

firenze
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

We've had a great stay here. The hostel was clean and the location was excellent as we were pretty much walking distance to what we were interested in. Let me thank Viola, she was very helpful and kind . Australia is far away but i promise....i'll be back

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends