“Good stay”

APX Apartments Darling Harbour
Ranked #117 of 180 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Great position - handy to darling harbour and the city.
The rooms are large and clean - most of all loved having the huge balcony!

Paid a very reasonable price and was very happy with our stay - we will be back.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank bellaandme
Srinivas K, Manager at APX Apartments Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for selecting to stay at APX Apartments Darling Harbour and taking the time to provide us with your feedback pertaining to your stay.
Our vision is to consistently exceed guest expectations through excellence, value, constant innovation and care. We value your comments greatly as this provides us with opportunity to improve our products and services constantly and improve upon overall guest experience at our property.
We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and I have shared the same with all our team members. Positive comments such yours are also huge motivational factor for the team who strive hard to please our valued guest.
We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to APX Apartments Darling Harbour.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The good, location is brilliant. The room itself is fine, has everything I needed.
The guy on reception was really very good.
The bad, the pillows were terrible. The bed had a bit of a sag. Corridor noise through the night, tiny shower cubicle. Pungent smell of curries in the corridor. Overall, can't see myself staying here again, there's better for the money. Home Thai restaurant on the corner is brilliant if you do stay.

Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Rounsie

Dear Rounsie

We thank you for your support and truly appreciate your time in sharing your stay experience.

Regards

Karim El Khateb

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed one night in APX Apartments, Darling Harbour last week on business, paid in full in advance.

Upon check in, it looked like a standard, run-of-the-mill hotel. Standard greeting by staff, room nothing flash, but appropriate for the price I paid.

Despite the toilet not having been flushed when I arrived (which I didn’t mention to staff as it was late) and the 'movies-on-demand' not being on demand, I had a reasonably comfortable night and checked out the next morning.

Unfortunately, that’s when the problems began. Later in the day, I noticed that $200 was missing from my bank account. The hotel staff member had ‘pre-authorised’ a $200 security deposit on my card when I checked in, but pre-authorisation means that the sum is placed on hold for the duration of your stay, and the transaction either finalised or cancelled upon check out. This clearly hadn’t happened. I was a little concerned, so I called the hotel. The staff member abruptly told me it was policy and wouldn’t be refunded for three days.

I was quite surprised – I am a frequent traveller, and have never had a situation where a ‘pre-authorisation’ meant that the hotel retained that security deposit for three days after check out!

I left my number and asked for the manager to call. When he hadn’t called three days later and my deposit still hadn’t been refunded, I called again. In the meantime, I had also noticed an extra charge of $11.11 to my card.

When I spoke to the manager of the hotel, Mr El Khatib, he was incredibly rude. He repeatedly and aggressively asked me if I had been ‘forced’ to give my credit card at check-in. I found this question very strange – obviously, no-one held me at gunpoint, but I was asked for my card to pre-authorise a $200 security deposit and I complied with what I considered a reasonable request! At no point was I informed that the security deposit would not be returned to me upon my departure.

I then queried the extra $11.11 charge I had discovered. He told me that it was for the in-room breakfast pack, but when I said that I had neither seen nor eaten any breakfast, he accused me of lying.

At that point, I asked to speak to his manager. He informed me that he didn’t have a manager, nor did he report in to anyone. From this information, I can only assume that Mr El Khatib owns the APX group. Perhaps investing in a competent, qualified General Manager and taking more of a backseat role would be in the best interests of his business… Incredible.

The monies were eventually refunded a full week after my stay, however, my experience was entirely unpleasant. I would recommend avoiding this hotel, and if you do stay, check your bank statements carefully.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Ellemm
Srinivas K, Manager at APX Apartments Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Ellemm

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your stay at APX Apartments Darling Harbour. Please accept my most sincere apologies for your dissatisfaction with your recent experience. It is clear that we have failed deliver to you a truly enjoyable and memorable experience and for that, I sincerely apologise.

Your comments have certainly outlined areas for improvement and I have addressed each of the areas with the relevant department managers.

Should we be able to welcome you back in the near future; if you would like to contact me on om.darlingharbour@apxapartments.com.au I would be delighted to take care of your reservation.

In the meantime; thank you again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

What an amazing place, we were so apprehensive about staying here due to a lot of the negative feedback on this site, however we couldn't fault this place at all. Room was very clean, modern, roomy, neat and well presented. It was safe and secure, quiet and very well equipped with all modern essentials. Staff especially Shelia who we dealt with a lot was extremely professional, polite and a wealth of information and very helpful, and so very friendly. The apartment was central to everything, most places were accessible by foot or any mode of transport was within a short walk. Can't praise this place enough wouldn't book anywhere else when next in Sydney. Thank you for making our romantic birthday celebration a weekend not to forget

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gidget07
Srinivas K, Manager at APX Apartments Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Gidget 07, Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. I was very happy to read that you had a romantic weekend and enjoyed our great location. We will do our best to continue to provide excellent customer service in creating a memorable stay and guest experience. We look forward to see you again soon! Karim El Khatib

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

The tv wasn't working the night I stayed and they didn't bother to fix it. The housekeeper came into the room without knocking 3 times before checkout even though I told her the first time to come back after checkout. The staff were rude and not helpful and never returned my calls. Over priced!! And in the bathroom the power point is next to the toilet and not the mirror so I can't see myself to blow dry my hair. I would have had a better sleep/stay at a haunted house!

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Katefirmin

Greetings Kate

It was with deep regret that we learnt of the challenges experienced. Having read your review, there was indeed no excuse but to extend our most profound apologies.

Regards

Karim El Khateb

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I stayed at the apartments over the weekend from 20/06/2014 and had paid for the accomodation in advance and in full using a family members credit card via the internet weeks earlier.

Upon arrival and booking in to my accomodation at the front desk I did not have a credit card to offer as assurance to any damage which could be incurred to the room. As such, the manager initially stated that I could not stay at the hotel and they also refused to return my money which I had already paid for, for the room.

Firstly, I have never had a problem like this whilst staying at any other hotel.

Secondly, to be refused stay at the hotel and to also be refused money back for the room which I was no longer allowed to stay in was extremely poor customer service!

It was not until I negotiated an outcome and paid an extra $1200 deposit (returned on check out) that I was allowed to stay.

Rhetorically, if I could not have come up with the extra $1200 deposit the hotel manager was not going to allow me to stay at the hotel and he was not willing to give me my money back so I could at least find somewhere else to stay. The complete indifference and lack of regard to my safety (as I was in a foreign city) demonstrated a disregard to basic customer service.

Luckily my bank was not closed and I was able to get the relevant monies, but APX management should not claim they care about there customers when they were so happy to do what they did to me!

The hotel manager did not seem to care about my situation continually referring to the terms and conditions of stay forgetting that the relevent term about about 'credit cards required as assurance' is hidden amongst a heap of other conditions in tiny sized font! I also used a third party internet booking site which did not care about conveying the terms and conditions and were much more focussed on completing the transaction.

Be aware and don't get caught out by APX hotel management who hide behind tiny writing rather than demonstrating good customer service.

Room Tip: Be aware before booking!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank brett r
Srinivas K, Manager at APX Apartments Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Brett,

In the meantime; thank you again for taking the time to write.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We needed somewhere to stay for 1 night after dinner at Chinatown, and attending a show at Town Hall, and APX apartments turned out to be perfect for us. Excellent position in Darling Harbour right next to Chinatown. Very clean apartment. ours was on Level 3, and was very quiet. No view except brick wall of adjacent building, but this did not bother us at all. Bathroom sparkling clean , bed comfy. Check in and check out great. I asked for late check out and was given 11 am which was great after a late night out. Fully equipped kitchen handy. Would definitely stay here again if needing somewhere at Darling Harbour to stay.

Room Tip: Our room 328 was very clean and quiet, view of brick wall did not bother us.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple