“Nice hotel that won't break the bank”

Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #19 of 59 Sydney B&B and Inns
New York
“Nice hotel that won't break the bank”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Simple hotel with just enough for a short stay.

My company put me up in the Hilton for a few days...then on my own budget booked a room in the Altamont for a single night. This place is smack between a backpackers hotel and a "proper" hotel. Don't expect any perks like room service or a mini-bar.

The front desk is only manned from 8 to 8, and the furniture could use some updating...but for the price this place is great. Also, not very wheelchair friendly.

Great place for younger people looking for a basic room near cool bars and restaurants. Not a great place for someone looking for a polished hotel experience. I would definitely return for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst my husband was in hospital, I chose this hotel because it was within 5 minutes walking distance to St Vincents Private Hosp. I was very pleased with my choice. The hotel was clean, the proprietor pleasant, and the room spacious, and comfortable. I would stay here again, it's in a great location, close to Paddington and plenty of nice eateries.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed at the Altamont for three nights for a work trip. I chose it because it allows pets which is brilliant for me because I hate leaving the little guy behind. For such a small hotel in a busy location the room was whisper quiet. Service was friendly and unobtrusive and the location is excellent. My room was clean and neat, nothing overly flash but I wasn't expecting that for the price. My room had a courtyard which wasn't really required but a nice touch for some fresh air.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Basically not bad for the money $105 for the night, bed only.. would not be my choice for more than one night. Attentive staff member when we booked in and we were shown to our room, the bedding was clean but the room very dated and in need of repairs and a face lift esp the bathroom, if your fussy you will not be happy with the bathroom which was probably clean but because of the age of the tiles, flooring etc still felt rather mucky, or the old and worn rug covering the cement floor. Our room was facing the court yard and was quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NSW_SMITHS
Perth
Reviewed 7 July 2013

We had a great stay, very convenient, bed and pillows were very comfortable, we slept well even though it was the weekend in Darlinghurst and we had a room facing the street. Alan and Bear (the dog) are great. Just over on Victoria St you have a good selection of cafes, bars and restaurants. It includes toast, cereal, juice, tea or coffee for breakfast, wifi, gym nearby.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street will be noisy at night, if you have trouble sleeping get a room away from th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
alanmzzz, Manager at Altamont Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Hi Janet
Cheers so much for your very positive review of the Altamont. Your kind words are very complimentary indeed; especially from such a seasoned reviewer as yourself - we are all glowing with pride...
We look forward to you staying with us again when next you are in the harbour city.
Bye for now............Kurt, Alan and team.
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

My mum and i stayed here for 5 nights and had a great stay. The hotelbhad great character and our room was so comfortable! Alan and kurt were great hosts. They recommended the best restaurants to eat in. Would definately go back!

• Stayed May 2013
Sebastopol, California
Reviewed 28 June 2013

On my recent trip to Sydney I ended up staying at 4 different hotel over the 3 1/2 weeks we were there. So I got to try many different locations and lodging experiences. Altamont was the 1st stop and since our flight got in at 6am and we eventually got to this small hotel at 9am, we were exceptionally pleased that they got us into our room by 11am. The folks at the hotel are great and we loved the location even though the airport shuttle drive said it was in the heart of the red-light district, which is incorrect. One street over has a great line-up of restaurants and there's a park down the street. It has easy access to public transportation. The room was quiet although the "courtyard" is not really what I would call the space outside our room. It still gives a sense of privacy and is the best choice when requesting a room. The free internet is super and hard to find in the Sydney hotels. Overall not a bad choice for a Sydney stay though I wish I had gotten a better rate. BTW the hotel dog is great!

Room Tip: the courtyard rooms are quieter and cooler
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business