“Gone, baby, gone ...”

Ranked #20 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Canberra, Australia
“Gone, baby, gone ...”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Love, love, loved the Altamont - favourite place to stay in Sydney. But it's shut! Going to be knocked down so that a block of ugly apartments can go up in place of this historic, funky and truly original boutique hotel. Where is all that great Balinese leather furniture going to go - that's what I'd like to know! There's another 8Hotel a couple of doors up, if you want to stay in the district, but it's not the same. Alan, the manager, and his lovely dog, Bear, are moving to another 8Hotel destination in Sydney. Vale the Altamont!

Room Tip: Missed the boat, I'm afraid
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ozcosbcos

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I spend every second week in Sydney for work and have for more than a year. After trying various hotels and private apts I was becoming very disheartened with finding the right place that would make my time away from home and family more comforting and enjoyable without imposing on friends all of the time.

I came across the Altamont through Tripadvisor. With good reviews and great value for money I thought I'd give it a go.

Well I've now stayed about six or so times and so glad I've found somewhat a "home away from home". The decor is very cool, laid back with a comfy non-sterile feel. My best friend came down with me one trip and she really enjoyed her time there as well. There's plenty of places to find somewhere to dine, walking distance to one of my fav precincts Crown and Oxford as well as the city. Also a couple mins walk to the train then short trip to the city and off to wherever you choose - I work in Chatswood and find it very hassle free, even in peak hour.

There's a roof top garden which is great to chill on at night with a wine and free continental bfast in the mornings.

Depending on the room, you can sometimes hear people coming back from the cross walking down the alley and street beside the hotel, but I find it more entertaining than annoying.

Definately give this place a go, it's so worth it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kris B
Reviewed 17 August 2013

I stayed here with a close friend who was visiting Australia. All I can say is that it was just perfect. Being a Sydneysider myself, I was particularly proud of the quality of this hotel, and the decor and all the little touches - the ever so friendly owner, or perhaps even just the receptionist, I wasn't too sure, because whoever is was, loved their job and loved the hotel. They gave me tips on where to park my car without getting a ticket!
I had a very relaxed, albeit, one night stay, but well worth the effort. Many thanks to the owners who made it very pleasant.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I had walked past the Altamont many times but never stayed. It had been on my list, just not high on my list. It does look less inviting from the outside than it actually is.
Having tried (and been rather disappointed with) Morgan's (across the road-ish) and with the Medusa (my personal favourite) booked out I ended up finally giving the Altamont a try.
I opened the chunky, rustic front door to be confronted with a big cuddly, fluffy beast! Alan also had his dog, Bear, with him. OK, I admit it , I'm a dog person. I didn't bring my two with me, which was why it was so good to have a resident canine to pat.
I was checked in by possibly the most breathtakingly beautiful Latina I have ever seen....I mention this only because I’m pretty sure the check in process went smoothly but I wasn't really paying attention so it could have involved a long wait on an ant nest followed by a beating and an angle grinder exfoliation; I wouldn't have noticed at that point. I'm sure it didn't, however, as my next recollection is of arriving in my room, on the north side of the building, top floor, quite happy.
The room was huge. H.U.G.E. Huge I tell ya! Actually far more than I needed, with an extra double bed and a couple of bunks. At that point I was really wishing I'd brought my pups. I consoled myself with the thought of another Bear hug on the way out to dinner.
Most of you will already know that this is a great area to stay; an easy walk to loads of great restaurants, bars, Oxford Street and (sigh) The Cross (if you must).
I asked for a quiet room and it was, mostly. I sleep light (at least without my German Shepherds watching over) and so that is particularly important to me. I did make unauthorised use of the spare double bed as I sound proofer on its end against the window (I put it back!). That helped a lot. There was some street noise but nothing annoying (it was mid-week though). If you are particularly sensitive to noise then I'd consider Victoria Court down the road, which is similarly priced. Not noisy, just less quiet than a little further down the road.
The room and bathroom were adequate, average, unspectacular but comfortable. Bed was fine and the staff delightful. There is no reason I put those two in the same sentence.
Bottom line; good value, great location, room was fine and the hospitality made my day.
Thanks Bear!
Thanks Bear's dad!
I've been going to stay again but it hasn't happened yet; the point is that I would. It's a character place run by character people; I like that.

Postscript: I have just heard The Altamont is to close to make way for more residential boxes. Just what our inner city neighbourhoods need; less character. Your Council- Building the slums of tomorrow!

Room Tip: You can park at Star Car Wash Across the road for $30 a night. Remember Victoria St and Darlinghurst...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Simple hotel with just enough for a short stay.

My company put me up in the Hilton for a few days...then on my own budget booked a room in the Altamont for a single night. This place is smack between a backpackers hotel and a "proper" hotel. Don't expect any perks like room service or a mini-bar.

The front desk is only manned from 8 to 8, and the furniture could use some updating...but for the price this place is great. Also, not very wheelchair friendly.

Great place for younger people looking for a basic room near cool bars and restaurants. Not a great place for someone looking for a polished hotel experience. I would definitely return for a short stay.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 August 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights whilst my husband was in hospital, I chose this hotel because it was within 5 minutes walking distance to St Vincents Private Hosp. I was very pleased with my choice. The hotel was clean, the proprietor pleasant, and the room spacious, and comfortable. I would stay here again, it's in a great location, close to Paddington and plenty of nice eateries.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2013

I stayed at the Altamont for three nights for a work trip. I chose it because it allows pets which is brilliant for me because I hate leaving the little guy behind. For such a small hotel in a busy location the room was whisper quiet. Service was friendly and unobtrusive and the location is excellent. My room was clean and neat, nothing overly flash but I wasn't expecting that for the price. My room had a courtyard which wasn't really required but a nice touch for some fresh air.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business