“Mediocre and disappointing ”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #18 of 174 Hotels in Sydney
Terrigal, Australia
“Mediocre and disappointing ”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014 via mobile

My partner and I booked the Amora Jamison as a mystery deal - we were celebrating his birthday and wanted to book a nice hotel that was close to Vivid Sydney so we were central to everything and could relax. He works across the other side of the country for 8 months of the year so time together is precious to us & we often splurge on top restaurants and hotels. So when I discovered a 5 star mystery deal hotel described as in Circular Quay with views of the harbour, I jumped at the opportunity. It was disappointing from the moment I received the hotel details and visited its website which revealed a basic looking and slightly outdated hotel - certainly not 5 star. A friend of mine had also booked the Amora through a mystery booking to stay a week before we did and she received a room upgrade to a refurbished room which contained a living area and separate bedroom. Not us though. We were given the key to a small suite on level 20 with views straight into a huge office block. No views as the mystery deal as had promised. There was no wall-mounted TV opposite the bed, just a really ugly painting in the wall. I had to search for the TV in some poorly fitted cupboards that have been cut into the wall with a big gap above it. The tiny TV accompanied with a cruddy looking dirty computer keyboard that had a laminated note asking that it isn't taken home otherwise "charges apply"... Um what? The reception was bad and being such a small TV, we eventually gave up & turned it off. The fabric covered chair in the corner was so badly worn that my partner and I didn't sit on it nor did we place anything on it because it looked filthy. There was no light above the bed, just dim bedside lamps & an ugly dull one at the desk. There was also a little table stand hanging on the wall by a thread - it needs to be drilled in properly & could do with a nice ornament on top. The hotel doors are so darn heavy and slam easy so if you are frail take care, haha. My partner and I had hoped to dig in to the buffet breakfast but decided not to after my girlfriend told us that she had paid $50 for breakfast there and it was very ordinary. Not all was bad at Amora Jamison - the beds are super comfortable and the pillows are divine. I would love to know what brand they were!! The bathroom is nice too - more modern than the room but still in need of a little upgrade. The building is nice and solid - just dated - and even the 6 elevators take forever to transport guests to and from their rooms. Upon checkout (which is on the upside is not until 11am - nice), we joined a queue that wrapped around the foyer to the elevators and then waited in line for 15 minutes. The man on check-out was lovely who but he was on autopilot, asking everyone 'how was your stay' over and over and keeping the conversation impersonal so when it came to checking us out I expected him to ask us also ... But not twice! Poor fella. The butlers and door men are nice but look way too fancy when you compare the rest of the hotel and it's mediocre facilities. Of all of the 4 and 5 hotels I have been to I honestly don't understand what makes the Amora Jamison 5 stars. If I were to be honest I would give it 3.5 stars at most. I have booked a bunch of mystery deal hotels and have never had an issue until now and this experience will definitely make me reconsider whether I will take one up again in future.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spoiltblog

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (542)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel is where you will be welcomed by happy smiles and hellos. It is clean and tidy. Beds are comfortable, and bathrooms are very clean. It is close in either direction to Pitt Street Mall or Circular Quay and it is right above Wynyard train station. The room had block out blinds which meant I had no idea what time it was anytime I awoke. Only fault was TV was off to side so kind of made it a bit hard to watch.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Woodbury, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Our first visit to Sydney as well as the Amora. Elliot Baker, Concierge Team Leader, made our experience here a 5 Star. Returning from first dinner I was very confused in regards to tipping and stopped to ask Elliot how it works in Sydney. He then took the time to get to know our interests, recommending and guiding us to tours that he knew we would enjoy. He assisted us daily with directions, navigating public transportation, restaurants, menus, reservations as well as volunteering to confirm our flights and print our boarding passes. I feel he went above and beyond in assisting my son and I. In doing so, I will definitely recommend the Amora Hotel Jamison. This hotel is centrally located to everything.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

This was a one night stay in a deluxe twin bedded room on level 22 - my daughter obtained the room as a Wotif mystery room a week or so before our stay.

Room was relatively spacious and spotlessly clean.

Beds very comfortable. Block out roller blinds and screen blinds on windows in bedroom but regular roller blind in bathroom.

Our bathroom had a separate bath and walk in shower. Regular plug in hair dryer in room - not the wall fixed type.

Free wifi and broadband now offered, though we didn't use it this stay.

Had room service in the evening - good quality meal and it was still hot when we received it - typical restaurant price plus $6.50 service charge.

Location is excellent - we were there for the Sydney Film Festival during the day and my daughter was then attending a friend's party in the CBD that evening.

A little noisy for a 5 star hotel - I spent the evening in the room and could here the noise from George street. Also the doors bang quite loudly unless you hold onto them and close them gently. There was also a lot of noise from 'singing' water pipes.

The switches for the lights were difficult to read so turning lights on and off was trial and error. The volume for the TV/Radio in the bathroom wasn't working in our room. The A/C switch was also difficult to reset - it had to be pressed really hard to raise or lower the temperature.

In sum it was good value for the discounted price that my daughter paid.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This hotel is well placed being 400 metres from Circular Quay. The rooms are well equipped and comfortable although views of the harbour are rare. All room doors close with a great crashing noise unless held back by the guest so don't be surprised to hear one or more such crashes in the night.The restaurants are very ordinary. Both have similar menus, the food is expensive and very meaty. When I ate there recently the waiter didn't mention the specials which included a pasta although I later overheard him outlining these to a nearby table. The pan fried chicken was underwhelming. There's a very annoying requirement to fill in a form when presenting for breakfast.

Room Tip: Low level floors often look straight into adjacent offices. Avoid anything close to the lifts.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Island of Gozo, Malta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very nice hotel in good location to see the Harbour bridge ,the Rocks & Opera house plus shops & malls.We upgraded to a suite which gave access to the Club restaurant for breakfast - plenty of choices on the menu + drinks & canapes in the evening so it was well worth it.
Suite was roomy with separate lounge area & the high floor meant we had good views of the City.
The front desk staff were very helpful

Room Tip: There are different types of suite that give you access to the Club restaurant so check out the size...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Bathurst, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

We booked this hotel through "Wot Hotel" on Wotif. This is our first time booking a Wot Hotel and were very impressed with the standards of the hotel. Being the long weekend & not knowing that Vivid was on in Sydney, we got a bargain for $240 for the night.

When booking the hotel, we only had the option of selecting a room with two king single beds. As we were travelling as a couple, we requested a King Bed and were impressed when we walked into our room to see that our request had been granted.

The rooms were standard king rooms & it's all we needed. We didn't spend much time in the room, but when we did, we felt very comfortable.

We were impressed with the bathroom - a deep bath & separate shower. It was huge! Probably the best bathroom of all the hotels we have stayed at in Sydney.

The location was great too - a short walk to George Street to do some shopping and to Circular Quay for the Vivid Light Display.

When closing the blinds at night we loved the fact that the room was pitch black & no street noise came in (we were on the 14th floor). When waking up in the morning, the room was still pitch black. Just the way we wanted to wake up after a long day out the day before.

The hotel also offers car parking & it seems like they try to accommodate all guests. The porter greeted us as we arrived at the hotel, we requested self parking & then he met us down near the boom gates to give us instructions on where and how to park. He was very helpful.

We'd definitely stay here again! The location is fantastic and the quality of the hotel is just how we like it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple