“not 5* but fab location”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #22 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 25 June 2014

stayed here may this year, wasnt the best place, i wouldnt class it as 5*, staff were very friendly, we were moved to a better room, although didnt see the one we had before, we had a duel aspect room. being in the middle of the city obviously the views arent fab, the room was quite run down and needs a refurb. the bathroom was lovely!! huge stand alone bath, yeh that was nice.all new looking, shame the room wasnt the same. ideal location, no noise at all from the train station underneath the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney

Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hotel for about $250/ night will provide you with a nice stay, minutes away from Circular Quay in Sydney. The King Deluxe room has a very comfortable bed, the bathroom is really good and well designed. Unfortunately the sign of wearing off are starting to show. The carpets are stained in many places, marks on the furniture....
In the same fashion the gym is in poor condition with half the equipment not working properly, no free weights. Two trade mills and an elliptical machine seems still doing ok. The pool is really nice but a ladder step is currently missing in the hot bath.
We were told renovations were due in a couple of month and that would be good news.
Having said that the staff were really helpful and pleasant. We had an A/C issue and we were given another room for the second night which was pretty much the same but on a higher floor.
The staff made it up for the hotel short coming and if you can get a cheap price why not. The rest of the city is so horribly expensive.

Room Tip: You would prefer a room located on the side of the building and facing the harbour to optimise the v...
1  Thank lucsky
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Had a business seminar here in June 2014. Conference facilities & food served during the conference can't be faulted. Hotel is in an excellent location also - good proximity to the airport by both taxi & rail (train station is almost directly below the hotel), which is useful for attendees coming from interstate. We also stayed one night at the hotel - lovely room, comfy bed - and had dinner at Char restaurant on site, which was delicious. Not much wrong with this hotel. Staff were also very friendly & helpful.

Room Tip: The higher up the better! I was on 7th floor and had a lovely glimpse of the harbour, but colleagues...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Lobby area is beautiful and service is good, but once you enter the room it's quite apparent it needs a renovation. Definitely not a 5 star hotel. Everything seems old and worn and not worth the value for money. On the plus side, location was fantastic which was close to circular quay and darling harbour - both walking distance.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
AmoraJamisonGM, General Manager at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear 92Irene,

Thank you for staying at the Amora Hotel and your kind comments regarding our staff. We are starting our rooms renovation on the 7th of July. The renovation will be done in phases and should be complete by December, the hotel will be fully operational during the renovation. Our first set of renovated rooms will be ready by the middle of August. Please follow us on Facebook for updates on the progress.

Kind regards,
Arpad Romandy

Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Amora Hotel Jamison may once have been a five star hotel, but until it gets a complete overhau, the days of being five star are well in the past. The reception area is beautiful and the service is very good, but everything from the dodgy card reader that you will encounter in the elevator, to the room itself, is in a sad state of neglect and disrepair. The walls in the hallway on our floor had visible (because they were not painted) plaster repairs. Everywhere you look in or out of the room, the baseboards are scuffed and marked, the walls are marked, the carpet is stained and dirty, the furniture is dated and worn, and in many cases actually damaged. The blockout blinds (which on a positive note really do block out the sun) were chipped and marked. Our room didn't feel dirty to the point that we didn't want to touch things, but it was very clear from the black edges of the carpets that many things like the carpets and furniture hadn't been properly cleaned in years. The bathroom was the nicest part of the room, but even there I could see things like poorly repaired tiles in the tub surround. The light switches had all been drawn on with black marker and were hard to read (this was true of the entire room) and seeing the phone by the toilet was like travelling back in time to 1995. In addition to the other problems, I booked and paid for a king room but was given a room with a queen sized bed. I didn't bother to complain and decided to just leave well enough alone.

On the plus side, the hotel location was fantastic. Just a short stroll to Circular Quay and and Darling Harbour, and great access to shopping and public transport. During the week there is a shopping centre close to the hotel with a grocery store, chemist and direct access to the train station. Even on weekends when that part of the CBD can be a bit of a ghost town, there are plenty of places to eat. I also appreciated the free wifi and didn't have any problems with service speed. There was a keyboard with the TV, but I can't comment on the TV internet because the keyboard didn't work.

Unfortunately... even a great location and great service can't save the Amora. The price is reasonable for the location... but when you consider that you could just stay in a proper 3 star hotel with fresh paint and clean furnishings for the same price, the 3 star hotel starts to look like a better option. After all, you can't hold it against a 3 star hotel for being what it clams to be. What is hard to forgive are the overinflated claims of the Amora Jamison. It's also hard to overlook the lack of cleaning. If you are going to be shabby, you can at least make the extra effort to be clean.

I would not stay here again or recommend it to friends.

2  Thank TracyNSW
Abhishek S, Front Office Manager at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the guest survey regarding your experience at the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney. It is through such feedback that we can isolate issues and areas in need of attention.

I do note your point in regards to the condition of the room and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused. I would like to inform you that the hotel will be entering into a refurbishment of its guest room very soon. Should you wish to discuss the matter further please contact me at fom@sydney.amorahotels.com

On behalf of our entire team here at the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, we thank you for your support and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Abhishek Sinha
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I booked this as a mystery hotel on Wotif, very last minute, and was excited to be going to a five star hotel so cheaply.

First impressions were great - sharply-dressed, attentive doormen and the woman who checked me in is absolutely made for a job in hospitality as she was the perfect mix of unobtrusive friendliness and efficiency. My room was neat and clean with a very comfortable bed and big deep bathtub. I ordered some delicious flathead and Paris mash from room service which was delivered promptly with a smile. Five star so far...

However, the next morning was a very different story. I had indicated my desired complimentary weekend newspaper upon checking in, and it never arrived. I called to order breakfast from room service and the call rang out three times before getting 'Amy' on the fourth go. I was pleasant (knowing how busy Saturday mornings can be) and ordered breakfast before asking if the hotel had a phone charger I could borrow as I'd left mine at home. Amy (who was quite surly and rude) informed me that the hotel only had one of that type of charger and that I would have to bring my phone down to the concierge to charge there. How is that five star service??? When my breakfast arrived, there was no butter for the bread, no sauce, condiments or salt and pepper, the bacon was very leathery and the scrambled eggs had the most unpleasant, gritty texture. What a shame! By the way, the room service staff were exemplary both times I ordered. Just a shame they are let down by other staff who neglect their roles.

The key to five star service is a consistently high level of customer service and attention to detail. Unfortunately the Amora was a mixed bag and I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014

Dear SamaraS,

I was disappointed to read of the service regarding the phone charger you experienced from our Front Desk staff. We strive to present “It’s a pleasure” attitude and this was clearly not displayed by our staff. Also I would like apologise for the service you experienced regarding the breakfast. Should you wish to discuss this matter further please contact me at fom@sydney.amorahotels.com.
Samara, these issues aside, I hope that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney when you are next in Sydney.

Abhishek Sinha
Front Office Manager

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed here recently for the third or fourth time.
The good: really comfortable beds; nice bathroom; good location.
The bad: the room needs at least one mirror in the sleeping area; combination of surly and abrupt reception at breakfast; the breakfast itself (many hot items were cold - not much of interest, fairly basic offerings); the bar (what exactly constitutes 'happy hour'? - there were no nibbles, no '2 for 1' drinks and certainly no happiness - and the service was extremely slow considering there was only one other table!).
In my opinion standards have slipped - I'll return when I hear otherwise.

Room Tip: Upper floors have better views, particularly rooms facing north.