“A booking stuff up spoilt the stay!”

Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney
Ranked #22 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 23 September 2009

The Amora is in a fabulous location - if you want to explore Sydney.
We were told the car park was full and we would have to pay for valet parking if we wanted to park there - given we were in the middle of Sydney we had little choice.

Reception staff were excellent and friendly. We were offered breakfast vouchers at 20% off which we took.
Went to the room, it looked great, unfortunately it smelt very badly of cigarettes. Having had a similar experience recently we couldn't be bothered to complain - we were pushed for time anyway, so we decided to put up with it.
Although the room was very nice, the smell wrecked it. After we'd been in there for a while we didn't notice the smell too much, but everytime we went back in it hit us.
The following day when we woke up we realised the damage - the bedding and everything else smelt so badly I was physically sick! So much for the cheap breakfast vouchers.My husband assured me the breakfast was great.
I filled in the complaints card with my comments and received a phone call telling me that I had been booked into a smoking room at my request. NO WAY! Somebody somewhere along the lines had stuffed up, I would rather sleep under a bridge than knowingly book a smoking room!!! I felt I had been fobbed off with the phone call - basically it was " tough, it's your fault" So, much as I liked the hotel, I'm not sure I would go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FussyNSW

Reviewed 18 September 2009

The room at the Amora was ncie without being fantastic. Though our bed was a little squeeky the rest of the room was very nice, clean and comfortable.

The hotel itself was nice and was aesthetically pleasing as we wandered around and checked out the facilities.

Probably the most impressive part of our stay was early in our night there. While the stay had been friendly and helpful from the start one particular staff member raised the bar on his peers.

It was raining when we left to find a place to eat nearby, not proving to be an easy option when everything nearby seemed closed on a Sunday night. So we did a quick runner down the street from cover to cover trying to find somewhere open. A staff member from the hotel was walking in the opposite direction and ran up to us and said "You're staying at the hotel right?" and then handed us his umbrella and told us to just leave it at the front when we got back and continued on his way in the rain.

I thought this very selfless act was amazing from a worker at a hotel, especially as we'd only been there a matter of hours and neither of us remembered seeing this staff member. If only we'd got his name we would have left a more detailed report of this on our appraisal of the room.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time here to properly use all the facilities which was a shame considering how much we enjoyed the time we did spend in the hotel.

All in all our stay was good, breakfast was very good and staff all around were fantastic.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 September 2009

Booked direct with them, a mistake they split the booking and had to get new keys on the second day. Got them they didnt work had to do it again. The first night was the seafood saturday special, for what you pay its good value but if you actually paid $65 a head you might feel a bit dissapointed. Our Second night was the busineess boost package which is meant to have a coffee from the coffee cart free the next morning, I had to track down someone that new about this to get a coupoun for the free coffee, couldnt so i asked the concierge about it, he just teed up a couple of coffees to resolve it, very helpful. Also meant to have a paper delivered, never got it either, also meant to have late check out 1pm, when i rang they said it was 11am they would extend free to 12pm but i would have to pay $20 per hour after that. Rang back with booking and they changed it to 1pm. Just a pain that I had to waist time getting everything i had paid for.
The room was nice, good size bathroom, however broken parts in the shower and the room, starting to show its age, finishes are becomming chipped and broken especially the veneer cabinets and desk, which is unacceptable really for a 5 star hotel. Service was good when ordering ice and other amenities although it took 3 irons and a burnt leg to get one that didnt leak.
Certainly not as good as last time but Will be back though

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2009

We have stayed here before, and both of our stays have been enjoyable. Check in and check out were extremely fast, and the room while simple, was nice. The only complaint with the room is that the doona was just too hot, and we couldn't match the air con with it. Also that at $40 to park the car, i could've got a taxi to and from my destination.

The buffet breakfast was delicious, with all of the staff very nice and helpful.

The guest services staff were very nice and ordered us taxis, held our luggage for us and reccomended restaurants with a smile, even when we had a restless 2 year old in tow.

I would absoolutly stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2009

We found out about Amora Jamison through a well known deal website, which offers surprise deals. We didn't mind where we stayed, as long as it was 5* and in the city,. boy were we glad when we got there. Airport shuttle took us to the door, where we were greeted by friendly, polite and accommodating staff. I can't remember what kind of room we had booked into when we originally booked, but we upgraded at the check-in for not very much money (maybe $50-80 per night extra?) to the executive club suite/deal. best decision ever!!! We had free breakfast in the exclusive club lounge, free refreshments all day, access to lots of other exclusive stuff and the room! Beautiful marble bathroom, stunningly appointed, pristine and clean. Bed was super comfy with the usual assorted pillow menu. was opulent - all class. Only problem with the room was that the TV was in a poor position and had bad reception - BUT - with views of the Sydney skyline, who wants to watch tv anyway? The hotel was near the rocks in sydney, and circular quay but it pretty far away from most other things. we took the monorail a few times and cabs to chinatown and stuff at the other end of the city. Lots of little back alley secrety type places to explore at night, with great food and cool bars scattered everywhere. The absolute BEST parts of the stay n- we were treated like royalty bc we had upgraded (exclusive after hours access to the spa and pool, which just quietly is fantastic - big balcony with views!) and the pre-dinner drinks and canapes, which are included. To be honest, we got quite drunk at the pre-dinner drinks, which again had amazing views and good company. It was unlimited booze and canapes like sushi, antipasto type things, delicious little treats. we ate and drank for a few hours and then chilled out in the bar downstairs, where we taught the bartenders how to make some of our favourite cocktails. a great experience, will be going back!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2009

I booked this hotel separately from the rest of our honeymoon package as I wasn't happy with the hotels offered in Sydney. The problem is, staying here just served to show how mediocre a couple of the other hotels we stayed at on our trip were!

Our corner room (28th floor I think) was fabulous, views of the bright city lights and a large beautiful bathroom. Staff on the door were very welcoming although it was disappointing not to get an early check-in having previously asked for it. Room service left the fridge door slightly ajar one day causing it to overheat and be very noisy, that was our only complaint really.

Location was superb as the trendy George Street is just down the hill and easy walking distance to Circular Quay, Darling Harbour etc.

Breakfast is overpriced ($35) but there are a couple of nearby bistros where you can eat for less than half that. There is a bar and restaurant but we didn't eat there, seemed quite trendy and fairly popular with locals though.

We would definitely stay here again if we ever return to Sydney.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I have never had any experience like this before in my life and I've traveled extensively to multiple countries. I've even had much better hotel experiences in multiple Third World countries! When I first checked in, I was given 2 cards that needed to be used to activate the elevators (and to get into the hotel room). The woman at the front desk gave me the cards without activating them, so I spent about 5 minutes in the elevator, unable to get it working and thinking I was doing something wrong before going back to the front desk. I went back to the desk and told her I was having problems getting the card to work in the elevator. She then activated the cards, didn't even apologize for her error (not activating the cards so we could use the elevator and get into our room), then sent us on our way. By that time, the bellhop already brought the luggage from the lobby and was waiting for us at our door wondering what happened to us! The room had an extra foldout bed in it that we didn't request (in the way). The room was freezing cold when we arrived. I turned the heater on, which after 2 hours of waiting still did not heat up the room. Housekeeping barged into the room (the security bolts had been removed from the doors.... the front desk staff claimed that the Australian government 2 years ago made it a law to remove all bolts from hotel doors... not sure if that is true or not) looking for the foldout bed that was removed by the bellhop hours before. The staff didn't know what other staff members were doing because housekeeping staff was asking ME where the foldout bed was. I told him to ask the bellhop where to find it. How crazy is that? Someone from engineering came to "fix" the heater, but the whole time we were there (12 days), we continued to have problems with it.

Every day we would be missing either washcloths (never in my life have I been to any hotel where I've had problems with this.... and supposedly this is a 5 star hotel!), or they'd throw away our soap and not replace it, or they'd take a towel and not replace it, or they'd move our towels around, provide dirty tea/coffee cups. The service was absolutely disgusting. There were way too many mistakes/things wrong for this to be considered a good hotel. There were so many problems.... every day there was an issue. I was just so sick of having to call down to the front desk for things that were missing! We started hiding soap (so that we would have soap to use and wouldn't have to call the front desk, isn't that ridiculous?) I've never had to do anything like that in my whole life! When they didn't bring washcloths we just went without them. I would have been better off somewhere else! I can say without a doubt that I would never go back there ever again! I've spent a lot less money going to other hotels in the past and had a lot better service than I got at this hotel. Even the heater in the pool was not working (I wonder how long that was broken for. They had a note in the pool area saying that they were getting it fixed. I wonder if that was really true). The only good thing about this hotel was that it was close to the Rocks, Circular Quay, the subway, ferry, bus route... basically in a good, central location and easy to walk to a variety of places.

• Stayed: August 2009
3  Thank uniquem03
Paul_Seaman, Executive Assistant Manager at Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the comments and feedback from your most recent stay at the hotel. We are extremely proud of the standard of service excellence that we provide to our guests and were disappointed that our standard was not reflected on this occasion.

The points that you have raised have been taken seriously and raised with the Executive Management Team and their relevant teams. This has provided us with the basis for re evaluating our standards and procedures in order to maintain a high service standard.

My sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused by our temporary pool heater failure which was due to a leaking heat exchanger. Rest assured this was replaced within 5 working days and is once again fully functional.

While I appreciate these comments cannot remedy your experience I would like to extend our sincere apologies for the inconveniences that occurred as a result of the above situations and thank you for your constructive feedback .

I wish you all the best in your future travels.

Kind Regards