“HORRIBLE BEDS”

Woodduck Boomerang Backpackers
Ranked #87 of 145 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I did not enjoy my stay here. The beds are horrible, I don't think they're even mattresses, just pieces of foam. The kitchen was very small. The bathrooms are all one one floor. The rooms are six flight of stairs up, so if you're travelling with a lot of luggage this is not the place for you. Good location, but other than that there isn't much to say. Very basic rooms, not a lot of room for belongings. If you are a girl then I highly recommend staying in the all girl dorms because the one I stayed in had 8 guys and they were disgusting.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 16 July 2013

I've been there for the firs time on March 2007 and came back again May 2008, in just one year everything changed. They depend way too much on the receptionist, so if the are not good the hostel will be a mess. Last time i've been there 2012 it was terrible, the reception had no idea, the toilets were dirty, the rooms were terrible, the TV room was always a mess and the breakfast was worst then 2007 and 2008. I dont know if they changed the owner because I did not see him during the 5 days i've been there on 2012.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 April 2013

This place has me in very mixed minds. I stayed here early April and while I paid for the cheapest room I don't think it entirely justifies the rubbish in it.
The people I met in the hostel were really nice and had a great time chatting and socialising with them. However as I went to my room I wasn't extremely excited by the smell of puke that greeted me in the stairs!!!
Once I arrived in my room (like I said, it was the cheapest as a 12bed dorm!) there was a lovely note on the door explaining I'd paid for the cheapest so pretty much what did I expect!
Turns out I think most the people in that room were staff or long termers as there pretty much wasn't an area of the carpet I could see, nor an area left were anyone new could store there stuff.
Bearing in mind this was a Saturday I then had the fun evening of people in the room bringing back 'newly made friends' for the night.
The only good thing is that you get free breakfast in the morning and the hostel is located quite closely to town!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I arrived in this hostel by chance...there is a really nice view from the amazing rooftop where it was always a pleasure to have a drink and meet people while looking around and see the skyscrapers and the harbour bridge. Really friendly staff and nice rooms though very basic. The rules are a little bit too hard but security is always important....had a really nice stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I arrived at Woodduck through the Work and Travel program and it's been one of the best social experiences I've had in Sydney so far.
I met a lot of international travelers from different horizons and now we are all leaving for a a road trip on the East Coast!
Comfy beds, simple but free breakfast and friendly staff.
Rooftop parties until 10pm is a plus ;)
The manager doesnt really like the party mess so it's a good thing that the open areas close at that time, so that everybody gets some rest!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2013

Nice hostel in good location very close to Kings Cross but only about 10-15 minute walk to city. Staff were very friendly and helpful for any questions. The internet is not free, but you can walk to their travel shop for free internet just up the road. Beds are not best and rooms are little warm but so are most hostels in the area from my experience. Made some good friends, hopefully back again.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Stayed here on my own, felt very welcomed by staff and guests. Very much a party atmosphere with pub crawls events and fun roof top with a nice view of harbor bridge and city skyline. Early and simple but free breakfast. Good for someone like me traveling on my own, met people fast, and close by to city and Kings Cross, simple and easy.

Room Tip: 8 share good value not too busy