“Glebes the place to be! ”
Review of Glebe Point YHA

Glebe Point YHA
Ranked #30 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

Everyone had told me glebe was to far out from the CBD to enjoy it's sights but I found this not to be true!

A bus pass to get into the city costs less than $3 one way but purchasing a ten pass for $18.40 works out cheaper if your travelling a that often and the bus stops just outside of the hostel and they run up to midnight in the week and till 3am on the weekends!

Think the lay out is good, with the kitchen on the ground floor along with the tv room, and thought the rooms were a good size.

Found other than meeting people in my room though the atmosphere wasn't great in the hostel but I was travelling out of season so it was quieter I suppose. Glebes got loads of trendy bars and independent restaurants to try so in the evening you don't have to go far to be entertained!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 March 2014

i LOVED my stay! i went to sydney from the states to visit my son in dec 2013. wonderful accommodations, very CLEAN private room as well as the common spaces, FRIENDLY, helpful staff. it is great walking distance to many places as well as easy bus and tram connections. the neighborhood is quiet, but not boring. fun to explore the architecture of the area/neighborhood. even caught a cricket game and had lovely conversations with the players/coach. this was a fabulous introduction to oz. i will never forget it and hope to return!

Room Tip: i had a private room that overlooked the courtyard. i loved hearing the birds in the morning; drunks...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank kathypi
Reviewed 27 March 2014 via mobile

I live in Tasmania and had a 60th Birthday to attend in Sydney and made a weekend of it. Traveling alone and all I needed was a "bed for the night" somewhere comfortable, safe and secure. The Y in Glebe was so much more than this!
Easily located from Central station by bus which stops right outside,efficient and welcoming checkin system. My private room with shared bathroom on ground floor was comfortable and quiet meeting all my needs. Bathrooms clean, more than adequate, no queuing, barely saw anyone else in them. Great leisure areas and communal kitchen meant instant company if you wanted. Lovely relaxing rooftop BBQ area giving a view of rooftops and chimney pots and an amazing lightning storm on the Sat night. I ate out all weekend but the kitchen is well equipped for cooking and most people were doing just that.theres a system and it works really well.the Y is very secure, keypad lock with daily changing code after 10pm and good room locks.there was complimentary tea and coffee in the kitchen which was nice in the middle of the night when I got home and first thing in the morning! I don't know what the dorm rooms are like but thoroughly enjoyed my stay and plan to go back in May with my daughter.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank footlooseTasmania
Reviewed 2 March 2014

So this is my view of this hostel, haven stayed there a week :

Positive points :

The hostel is in the leafy surburb of Glebe, which is soooo close to the city. If you catch the bus just infront of the hostel, you will arrive in the city in less than 15 minutes ! I prefer to walk so it takes me 30-40minutes. The Glebe area is sooo relaxing : big park, the harbour river, the little cafés, the library where you get free internet...Glebe is wonderful !

Clean : The hostel is pretty clean. I stayed on the 3rd floor and i was very happy to have a clean shower to come home to ! It was my priority to find a clean place, so good !

The room : I stayed in a 4 bedroom. It was really big. A lot of space for stuff !

Quietness : Yes in Glebe, the council has put on a 10pm rule, which means that after 10pm, no standing outside of the hostel...which means you get a very good nights sleep ! This was a very good positive, because i like partying in the city and coming back to a quiet night.

Ktichen : Quite big, but a bit old..but its a hostel !

Negative point :

And yes, i saw only one negative point, and it can be an important one...its the lack of friendliness in the hostel...the problem is that, there is not much of a garden outside the hostel, so it is very hard to meet new people and discuss with them...and most of the organized weekly activities take place OUTSIDE the hostel...which means less socializing :(

I hope they can change this..because it could've been perfect :)

All in all, thanks for the adventure. I love clean places and this was a great place for me :)

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank CarinaTakia
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Great friendly staff, clean and comfortable! Glebe YHA was home for a month and I loved it!

Perfect location, just a short distance (15 mins bus/tram ride) away from the centre of Sydney! And Glebe itself is a wonderful area, packed full of top cafes and restaurants, plus the Saturday market is a must!

Generally quiet, 2 or 3 parties whilst we were there but staff/guests were respectful towards one another (I was there July/August - so 'off-peak'). Met some lovely people at the weekly BBQ that the YHA hosts.

I stayed in a private room with my partner and though basic, we had everything we needed and the staff were very helpful! I'd say that it was good value for money for a couple sharing a private room. The shared bathroom and kitchen facilities were also kept in a generally clean condition.

The only thing that let it down for me was the lack of properly functioning wifi internet (which is only minor) but is a bit of a pain when I was there was there for so long and wanted to arrange further travel plans and get in touch with family and friends back home.

Other than that, had a great time! Thanks Glebe YHA

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed here because I liked it when I was last in Sydney 6 years ago. However, it's safe to say I won't be staying here again.

The decor needs a serious update. A lick of paint wouldn't hurt. The shower gel racks in the showers could do with replacing so they don't look so old and rusty.
The room I was I was in was OK. I was fortunate to have a bed that had a plug socket next to it (probably the best thing about the whole hostel). The room was so stuffy and hot. We had the window open the whole time, but as the room was on the inside of the building - there is an open area in the middle of the building - there wasn't much fresh air. They did provide a fan, but it wasn't much use.
And then there was the noise! One of the things I was given when I checked in was a list of rules. This included the roof terrace being closed at 10pm to keep noise levels down. However, on my first night there was a staff party on the terrace. This went on til nearly 11! And noise travels! The staff also decide to sort out the recycling before 8am. This included hundreds of bottles being moved from one crate to another creating an absolute racket!! Not impressed.
I also found the staff at the reception slightly rude. They do what they have to without going the extra mile and don't make eye contact, just stare at the computer the whole time.
Finally, this was not mentioned anywhere on the booking, but you need a $20 deposit for the room key. Something like that is worth mentioning in advance.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Enjoyed the location at Glebe - gives you a youngish and hip feel, not to mention the lovely bay just one minute away. If you want quiet and away from the city, but not too far off, this is a great place to enjoy!

Stayed in a private room (no ensuite) and decent enough, with clean sheets. We were located in the ground floor, so if there were noise upstairs, we're far from it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family