Blue Parrot Backpackers
Kingsview(Sydney)
Highfield Private Hotel(Sydney)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewskings crosspotts pointbigger hostelslong termersended up staying weeksmeet other travellersfavourite hostellovely sistersgreat tv roomhome away from homefree wifilong term residentssocial hostelworking holidayfantastic hostelcleaned every daycommunal areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Most importantly this hostel is very clean, with good facilities, spacious common areas and an excellent location (easy walk to the CBD, great transport connections, lots of bars/restaurants/clubs near-by). I spent 2 weeks here as a stop over in my travels and felt mostly really at home. My bed was really comfy, and i met some lovely people. However i feel in an effort to be super hygenic, staff can get a bit over zealous in their cleaning? Food, drink & straighteners/curling tons are contriband in the rooms & they have daily checks for this that made me feel a bit uncomfortable & like i was on a school trip. I noted on several occasions a couple of staff members kicking guests things/bags out the way to perfume the floor which i thought wasn't on, plus some times people would be abruptly awoken as staff burst in; turned on the light; yanked windows and curtains open and hoovered away. Yes; cleanliness is important. But i discussed this with several people, all of whom agreed it was verging on invasive. I stayed on my own & was lucky enough to make some good friends in my room. I found the long-stayers pretty unfriendly, and one girl and i during my first week felt too uncomfortable to go and use the kitchen at night where they were en masse playing drinking games repeatedly. However the internet is free & of high quality (a rarety in Oz i've found), and dispite only having 3 bathrooms there never seemed to be any real queues? Over all i would recommend this as a short stay accomodation, in a great location to explore Sydney.

Room Tip: the 6 or 4 bed dorms have better access points to chargers etc so oyu dont need to keep lugging things down to the living area
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank garlic_prawn86
BParrot, Owner at Blue Parrot Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thanks for the review and for recommending the Blue Parrot. We're happy that you felt at home and found the hostel clean, with nice people, great location and free high quality wifi! We appreciate your feedback and would like to clarify a few of your comments – when we clean the rooms we are sometimes required to move bags away from the middle of the room to under the beds, where there is storage space, so we can vaccum properly otherwise it's difficult to vacuum around each bag. We apologise if the daily room checks made you feel uncomfortable but we are not searching for 'contraband' but instead checking what beds are available for our new guests and to clean & tidy everything. The reason we don't allow food in the rooms is because it attracts insects (there's lots of them in Australia;-) ) and can smell the whole room out which can be unpleasant. We have a lovely kitchen downstairs to store all your food. We will speak to the cleaners and make sure they enter the rooms in a more discreet manner with minimal disturbance. Wishing you safe travels xx – BP Team

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I don't usually write reviews but this place deserves one! The hostel is clean, fun and friendly! Arrived on a Thursday and after a few hours I already made some good pals! Fun nights out and clean bathrooms! The station nearby at first looked crazy but its safe and close to good night life. Would love to stay here longer!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Blue Parrot is in a great location- a 5 minute walk to the action of Kings Cross, the train station and the supermarket.
It is safe/secure, quiet at night, and the staff are amazing, friendly and welcoming! It is easy to make friends here with regular social activites organised by the staff and a common room where everyone can watch movies together.The beds and blankets are really comfortable and I had no trouble falling alseep at night. Also, the bathrooms are cleaned every morning. I had a great time and was sad to leave!
The only things I would suggest improvement on are; more games in the eating area/game room, heater in the eating area (very cold in winter), and another fridge for alcohol!
Thank you girls for a great time!

Room Tip: The Mixed 10 bedroom dorm with private bathroom is directly above the coffee shop which opens around 7am and plays music quite loudly. If you're a light sleeper, don't get the beds next to the windows!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 June 2013

The Blue Parrot is easily my FAVOURITE hostel on my travels! It had a fun, social atmosphere where everyone was friendly and there's events on in the evenings to meet other travellers, that was important for me since i was travelling alone. It was also one of the cleanest hostels i've stayed at and everyone is respectful of clearing up after themselves since it's a small place and has a warm family vibe about it... you're not made to feel like just another number like some of the bigger places. Free internet was great! Staying here definitely contributed to me having an amaze-balls time in Sydney! Thanks Blue Parrot xx

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 June 2013

If you like to party, stay here. If you don't care about cleanliness, stay here. If you don't mind an insanely hot room with a fan directed on one bed out of 10, stay here. Otherwise, stay somewhere else. Naturally it's in the backpacking neighborhood so there are lots of young, drunk, party people everywhere, but the hostel itself isn't very clean and although the girls who run it are very nice and very helpful, it's not a relaxing or clean atmosphere. If you're just arriving in Australia I would DEFINITELY recommend staying at the YHA on the Rocks otherwise this might turn you off to Sydney!!! I give it two-stars only because the ladies at the front desk were nice.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Lisssssss4
BParrot, Owner at Blue Parrot Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you found our staff helpful and are sad to hear that you didn’t have an awesome experience here.

We are sorry if it was unpleasantly hot on the nights you stayed with us. We encourage our guests to speak to us if they’re not happy with something so it’s unfortunate you didn’t ask for another fan as we would have been more than happy to help out. We usually have more than one fan in each room.

You were concerned with the many ‘drunk’ ‘young’ ‘party people’. These are young people having a fun night out while travelling. We are not a ‘party hostel’ per se, but we are social and our location is near some very good nightlife. We mention that we cater mainly for people between ages of 18-35 years old so we can completely understand that since you’re older than our recommended age group this might not have been the ideal environment for you. Also from what we’ve gleaned from other hostel reviews you have left on your profile, you tend to prefer the hostels that are more like high-end hotels with air-conditioning and views. In fairness, we feel you can’t compare a small family run hostel experience to a massive hotel-like chain hostel like YHA. We both offer different travel environments, as a smaller place we tend to provide a sense of community, a place to nurture the travelling spirit and easily meet like-minded travellers in a social hostel environment.

We are concerned about your comments regarding cleanliness. We clean the hostel daily, throughout the day and pride ourselves on our dedication to hygiene. We would welcome the opportunity to address your concerns personally with you to gain a more specific insight on what you felt was not clean, please feel free to email or call us at your earliest convenience. Our guest’s satisfaction is most important to us and we hope to be able to fix any specific problem as soon as possible.

Thank you and happy travels! Team Blue Parrot