Blue Parrot Backpackers
Kingsview(Sydney)
Highfield Private Hotel(Sydney)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewskings crosspotts pointbigger hostelslong termersended up staying weeksmeet other travellersfavourite hostellovely sistersgreat tv roomhome away from homefree wifilong term residentssocial hostelworking holidayfantastic hostelcleaned every daycommunal areas
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2014

This hostel is not like the other hostel, especially the big and anonymous ones, it feels more like a home. I stayed there only for two weeks but you can easily spend more time as it is a very friendly and clean hostel. Sasha, Effie, and all staff members are very welcoming, giving you a map and explaining a lot of things to do in Sydney when you arrive. Everybody hangs out in the common areas, easy to meet people. The location is very good, close to city centre (walking or by train), close to cafes/bars/clubs/supermarkets/restaurants, and the hostel is very safe. I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but a little preference for the ones with private bathrooms
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Melanie C
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stay at Blue Parrot Backpackers for a few days, and it was really really nice !!!
I met a lot of people, the place is very well located and the staff is amazing. Always ready to help.
The rooms are very clean and cleaned everyday ! I would totally recommend this place !!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a real family feel hostel. I felt welcome from the moment I came in. It's smaller so everyone hangs out together in the evenings and you know everyone in the hostel so it feels safe. It's location is perfect. It's just around the corner from King's Cross if you want to go out but it's far enough away that it's not loud at night. Would recommend to anyone staying in Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Adam W
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Stayed here 2011 on my backpacker travels in australia and It really was a home from home. Sasha & Effie made me feel very welcome and introduced to me to a great set of people who Inow have friends with for life. The hostel has a great atmosphere, lots of information on whats going on in sydney and other amazing sites. Regular nights out with the hostel which were amazing and cheap as they would get you on the guest list! You may have to move rooms now then again but thats becuase its such a popular hostel. They even let me be the cleaner for a week when I was low on funds! So if you want a friendly, informative, safe, amazing, home from home hostel..... Then blue parrot is the place to go. I will return in the furute. Youth.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Adam W
Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with two friends in early march.
Effie greeted us when we came in and was incredibly nice. She told us all about the hostel, gave us a map, and told us about sydney. We felt very welcome.
The hostel also offers cheaper prices for activities such as the aquarium and zoo so as a traveler that was very helpful.
The rooms got very hot at night so I think more fans would be nice.
Our room had girls who had been staying there for many months and therefor really made themselves comfortable. I had a hard time finding space for even my suitcase because the space under the bed was being completely used by my bunk mate who had been here for months. Although that isn't the hostels fault, so I don't hold then to that.
The only problems I had with this hostel was the two men that were working at the hostel. We found them to be very rude. We had night plans to go to the opera and as we were leaving the two men were at the front. We said bye casually and they stopped us and asked us if we were going out later, we told them probably not and they were very rude. It felt like they took t very personally that we didn't want to drink with them because we had other plans.
The day before we left we talked to one of the men at the desk again, he told us check out time was 8 and we asked if it was possible to get or key deposit back that night as we had a train to catch at 815 and had to leave the hostel at 745. He told us it would be no problem and we thanked him and went to bed. We arrived at the front desk the next morning at 740 and waited 5 minutes. Nobody showed up. We started getting a little stressed as we already paid for our train tickets. After another 5 minutes the other man showed up and we explained that we had arranged to have an early checkout. He then told us checkout was at 9, not 8! After another 5 minutes of explaining he told us to give him our key and he would give us our key deposit money back from his own money then get reimbursed later. Luckily we only had one key and were able to get this money back. We made our train thankfully.
The only problems I had were very small fixable things. We didn't have time to talk to the owners about these small issues as they weren't there when they happened which was unfortunate.
I wouldn't return to this hostel but I would recommend it. The two female owners are lovely and it's a good hostel for young people.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kate2681
BParrot, Owner at Blue Parrot Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Hello Kate, Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We’re happy you felt welcomed by Effie, you thought it was a good hostel for young people at a good price and you would recommend us!

We’d like to resolve any complaints you had, as you say, they were ‘small fixable things’ but nonetheless important to us.

With regards to the two male staff - we’ve had a changeover in staff since March so they are no longer with us. Sasha and Effie are always here and we strive to hire friendly and helpful people. Knowing the boys well we can only speculate that they were probably just trying to make you feel included in the hostel’s night out. We never pressure people to go out but let them know the option is there if they’d like to get involved. On behalf of the boys we are sorry if you felt offended in any way, we’re certain they only had good intentions to make sure you girls got involved in the fun.

Apologies if there was a misunderstanding with the check-out time because check-out is between 9-10am (not any of the hours you mention). Guests are well aware of the hours since they are written on the check-in form you signed for, on the back of all the room doors and at reception. We can easily arrange an early check-out the evening before. Despite any confusion we are happy our staff could oblige and personally refund you the key deposit outside reception hours.

Thanks for bringing your concerns to our attention and we hope everything has now been resolved. Enjoy your travels, Effie & Sasha