“Great!”

Funk House Backpackers Hostel Sydney
Ranked #90 of 139 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
“Great!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Can't beat it for the value.... Could be cleaner I guess but what do you expect with the word backpackers in the name. Great place for what it is. If you are in the area & want a place for a great price, this is it.

• Stayed March 2014

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I'm a backpacker,stayed here for a month,then came back for a second time.The staff are so.helpful and friendly gives the.place a warm atmosphere.The wifi showers and breakfast are decent,I like the rooftop the TV room.It's a little dirty but that's to be expected with so many back packing residents,having said that all the residents are lovely and fit well into the vibe of the place. I get the impression that if a resident was a complete tool they wouldnt last long.Safe,happy fun environment highly recommend to first time backpackers

• Stayed May 2014
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Funny how this place won't refund my money a day in advance. My flight was canceled and I couldn't make it. Keep in mind you also get blast mail from them. I didn't enjoy this experience. I also emailed them and got a response stating they wouldn't refund me. I'm sure there are better places for people who may have something come up.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

The staff here aren't particularly friendly. The first thing they get you to do when you arrive is sign a long list of strict and unfair rules, such as no deodorant in the rooms. I personally am not a fan of small dorms, and all the dorm rooms here are for 3 to 4 people. The toilets aren't particularly clean, and the place was very noisy into the early hours. They don't offer refunds, which was inconvenient for us as an hour after asking to stay an extra night, a relative offered us to stay at their place however the hostel refused to refund, or even give a discount. The breakfast is literally a loaf of bread and some cereals in a container which you make yourself. The common room is dirty. The wifi is good though and I enjoyed the individual artwork on each room door. Very average in my opinion.

Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Cimmmy
Dorset, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

this hostel is the est in sydney by far!
We stayed there for most of the summer and had a ball, the staff were excellent, cleaners considerate to our needs ( ie when I wanted a lyin!)
Hostel clean, tidy, lovely HOT showers etc...
free breakfast was useful, and movie night fun!
overall a lovely homely hostel and family feel.... thanks xx

Room Tip: only 3 or 4 bed dorms..... Winner!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Abbie F
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 March 2014

After many backpacker, I can tell it was the bet one!!
This Hostel is the best for start your new adventure in Sydney!
I made so many friends there, I'll remember all my life this place!!!
Everybody talk with everybody, we help each-others etc.
I lived 6months in this place! My first 2months and after living in a flat for few months I went back in this Hostel because was better finally! You feel like you're at home with a lot of friends! Can't imagine before that I'll live in a backpacker, but this place is really nice and the peoples at the reception are really nice as well!!! (Johanna, Sam, And Marcus the director)
If you want to hanging out, tcheck the blackboard you will found the place to go for the night, and if you want to sleep because you work it's fine, you have some quiet room for the Long Term resident)
I had my best parties on the rooftop, and every fridays there is a BBQ!
I recommend this place absolutely!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank ALEXsansDrap
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for four nights because it was the best option we could find (we didn't plan much...), and it ended up being pretty good.

Since we were staying for 4nights we had free pick up from the airport, but the company that runs them was not the best... We had to wait for over 2 hours. Anyway, that was not the hostel fault and we saved $30.

The hostel is easy to find and walking distance to the CBD, which is good as we didn't need to spend much in public transport. The only bad point of the location is that the area is not very nice if you don't want to just get smashed every night...

When we arrived one of the receptionist checked us in and gave us our keys. There was a deposit of $20 (mentioned in their website though) that we got back with no problems when checking out. The room was private with a double bed and shared bathroom. It had a TV, a little fridge, a table and a chair, and although it was tiny there was enough room for all our stuff. The most important thing is that the sheets were clean and the room too (it was not immaculate, but remember it is not a hotel!). We even got our rubbish removed every day! Bathrooms were cleaned regularly too. The bed was quite comfortable.

They offered free breakfast every morning, which consisted of toast, tea and coffee, and cereal. It was nothing special, but it saved us some money...

We only had two "issues" during our stay, and they weren't too bad. The first one was on arrival. Since we arrived after 6pm they had run out of towels for hire, so we couldn't have a shower until the next day... In the morning they didn't have any yet, so I was reccommended by the receptionist to buy some in a cheap shop nearby, as so I did ($8 per towel, not that bad I guess...). The other problem was during the last night there, some drunk guy was smashing all the doors and yelling some crap in the middle of the night which must've woken everybody, this went on for at least 20 minutes

In conclussion, this place is great if you want to get something cheaper than a hotel, but I wouldn't reccommend it if you expect the "luxuries" that you can get in a hotel. It was not heaps cheap though, I'm sure you can get something cheaper, but I don't know about better value.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple