“great place with great people”

Sydney Central Backpackers
Ranked #84 of 149 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed at sydney central for a long period of time. the hostel has a really homely and family envirnment. We even left sydney and came straight back there when we returned. You have your own fridge's and sinks in your room so you dont have to worry about putting your food in a communal fridge's for it to get stolen.

It has a roof top which has great views and good to drink on with all the amazing poelpe that you will meet staying there.You are also in walking distance to the train station and a 10 minute walk into the city for when you want to see the sites of sydney. For when you want a night out all the backpacker clubs are a small walk away but its good because the hostel is off the road from all of them so you dont hear any of the noise of kings cross as I have done in the past staying at other hostel's in kings cross.

i would recommend this hostel for people to stay at, I had the best time staying there. met some amazing people and became really good friends with the staff there.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 10 June 2013 via mobile

Reviews for this hostel vary, the only bad thing I have to say is the kitchen is a little small but never seems to be an issue for anyone, every hostel I've stayed in sydney has a busy dinner period no matter how large the facilities are.
I have stayed in this hostel for a couple of months now as have many people I know here.
Rooms are cleaned every morning and vacuumed as long as your reasonably tidy with your belongings and don't cover the floor.
Bathrooms are cleaned first thing in the morning, after lunch and later in the evening.
24 hour reception, foxtel in the common area, and recently updated wifi.
Always nights to go out on and a great rooftop for weekend socialising in good weather with views of the bridge and opera house.
I would recommend this hostel for anyone ages between 18 and 30!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 4 June 2013

I'm a student backpacker and stayed at sydney central backpackers for 2 nights before moving on to chili blue backpackers. I had found Sydney Central Backpackers (SCB) really nice at first glance, but I've then found it quite dirty (the kitchen especially). The room's where not cleaned during my stay once, except they do give you clean fresh linen upon arrival. I would recommend this for those who don't really care about cleanliness and simply want to party since every night there's parties on the rooftop until around 10 and then they go in front of the hostel to finish the partying. I (being a clam and non-partyer backpacker), did not like this hostel, but some say the very opposite. Check it out if you like parties yes! On the opposite hand, if you want tranquility, I would Suggest Eva's which is right beside this one. (more expensive, but really clean and quiet)!
Have fun!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank ImOverseas
Reviewed 28 May 2013

The other positive and glowing reviews for this property are grossly inaccurate. This is a slum. Plumbing and electrical hazards abound along with other hygiene concerns that would make you want to look elsewhere for your tourist activities. Cramped and useless bathrooms for instance making it all but impossible to enter or exit.

With little exception, the staff were neither friendly nor helpful. Although the hostel advertises itself as a resource for activity planning and booking, not a single staff member I spoke with was willing to provide any helpful information or recommendations. The cooking area was very dirty; the hand towels there for clients to dry dishes with were covered in food residue. They would fall onto the floor and staff would just pick them up for you to use again.

Other guest are as rude as the staff members there and they seem to like to lord over people to make trouble for them, all in all a bad situation even if you thought you wanted to live like a homeless person for over $1000/month. I'd forget booking ANY accommodations with these people.

Room Tip: Do not go there.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2013

We had arrived in Sydney from three weeks in Thailand so Sydney central backpackers offered us what we needed at the time - a bed! Expensive for what it was but the free brekkie was a bonus (just toast and jam) and the staff were friendly enough. Good location for a walk to the Harbour Bridge and Opera house.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank amyw07
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We loved Danny who was on reception, he was so helpful and really nice to us. The room was okay with television and fridge and a couple of fans until the moment we were leaving and I found a giant cockroach under the bed....argh the first such experience after two weeks in Oz. the wifi works well downstairs but not in the room. The location was okay and we were able to walk to many bars and restaurants. Probably wouldn't return but thats cos we are out of the hostel scene now due to our grand old ages of 27 and 29!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nicola H
Reviewed 26 March 2013 via mobile

I stayed in central backpackers for 3 nights, we stayed in an all girls dorm as it was the only room left but was still very reasonable especially for over future music festival time! The staff were lovely! The kitchen is small but good and there is a tv and seating area! The wifi is awful and expensive!! The rooms were clean the beds were comfy we even have a fridge and sink in our room and the bathroom was next door which was cleaned daily! I would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed: March 2013