“A case of lipstick on a very old bulldog”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #165 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 8 March 2012

The rooms here are very very tired and used, although Rydges management have splashed out on a lick of paint and some new carpet in the foyer sometime recently I guess. Generally way below the standard of other Rydges hotels overall though... Having said that the rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable. Staffing levels are good, speedy check in and check out. Location is the biggest plus for this hotel - walking distance to scores of good restaurants in Newtown and good bus links get you into the city within 15 minutes anytime of day or night.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Gnome G,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay with us, it is very much appreciated.

I’m glad to hear the Hotel’s location suited your needs during your stay as we are closely located to Newtown and only a short ride from the CDB.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future and if I can be of any assistance please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

We stayed at Rydges Camperdown because of the proximity to a function we were attending.
I had prebooked parking and a bottle of sparkling wine as part of the overall package. When checking in, I was told parking would be an extra $18 per night. I had to tell them that it was included. On arrival at the room, there was no bottle of sparkling wine, so I contacted reception and was told that it would be delivered.

When checking out, I was again told that parking would be extra and I was also charged for the bottle of wine and a room service fee. Needless to say I objected and did not pay the double fees.

Meals were of average quality but on the last morning there was no hot breakfast available at the buffet due to "technical requirements".

The furniture in the rooms are getting dated and overall the place needs a major overhaul.

Parking in the basement is limited and very small spaces. $18 a night is reasonable for the inner city area, but I would object to paying that amount to park in the few spaces in the open air (not secure).

I would stay there again if needed, but would not expect a quality establishment.

Room Tip: Don't go for the city view rooms. They overlook a busy road intersection and can be noisy.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear simpfen,

Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us.

I am very sorry to hear of the mix up you had experienced with your package and I will be speaking with the IT Manager to ensure the issue is rectified. I can understand your frustration and I do apologies.

I am also disappointed hear the Hot Breakfast was not available at the time you had you had arrived for breakfast as we did have some technical issues that morning in the kitchen and were rectified later in the morning.

If you do have the requirements to travel back to Sydney in the near future please feel free to contact me direct and I will personally ensure your stay is as memorable as possible for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Not being familiar with the City, we chose this motel as it was near RPA where we needed to go. Our room on the fourth floor was very large, clean and fresh smelling, yes it is getting tired but they cant always be 'new'. We felt the $18 for parking was very reasonable for city parking. We had breakfast and dinner in the restaurant and were very satisfied.
For convenient accommodation so close to the City centre, public transport as well as many and diverse eating options, we will return

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Dear Jayal_11,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide feedback from your stay with us in February.

I am delighted to hear the Hotels location was suitable for your visit to RPA Hospital and trip to the CBD and you enjoyed your meals at Rowley’s Restaurant.

I am also glad to hear you found the parking charge to be reasonable considering the higher rates that are charged in the area and City.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 2 March 2012

A typical Rydges Hotel which requires some major upgrade work. The rooms are shabby but would be tolerable if one was looking for a third tier Tourist Hotel within a bus ride to downtown Sydney.
Rydges however have suddenly raised their midweek tariff to $170 which is about $70 above what it is worth.
Not only that, they want an extra $18 for parking, including outside parking and an extra $20 for a Real Estate Agents idea of a "City View"
A tourist would be a lot better off paying a bit more and moving to a proper Down Town Hotel.
A Tradesman would be better off moving a few kilometres west at $95 per night.

Room Tip: Don't get on on the first floor near the pool. Drunks like to swim at 2AM and Rydges do nothing...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SimmoHanoi
Rydges C, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2012

Dear SimmoHanoi,

Thank you for providing feedback from you recent stay, we do appreciate all feedback as it is good to know what our guests think about the services we provide and the overall feeling from the Hotel.

I am sorry to hear of your disappointment of our parking rates, we do believe in comparison to other Hotels in the area we are very competitively priced as prices around the $30 mark.

In regards to your comments of the people in the pool, as it has been O’Week at the University we have unfortunately been the target of an initiation prank that has now been resolved and we do apologies for the inconvenience caused.

If your travel plans do require you to visit the Inner Western Suburbs of Sydney soon please feel free to contact me direct to ensure you have an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed as close to RPA for medical appointment and 11.00am checkout saves parking hassles if early morning appointments. Extremely good restuarants close by in King street and close to transport to the city
TV in room wasn't working and the hotel was old and tired

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Dear hammo99,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to provide feedback from you stay with us.

I am very glad to hear the Hotel’s location suited your needs as we are so close to the RPA Hospital and Newtown’s restaurants.

I am however disappointed to hear of the issue you had experienced with the TV and I do hope you did express this to the Receptions staff as if we were not able to fix the problem on the day we would have offered to move you to a room with a working TV.

If you do have the requirements to visit the Hotel in the future please feel free to contact me direct and I will ensure all features of the room are in working order so you have a great stay.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

We stayed at this Hotel as it is the closest to RPA Hospital as we were attending a conference. We found this hotel the most rundown we have seen for a long time. Check in was completed by diinterested staff who were more concerned with joking and flirting with each other. The carpark was under the building with an ancient roller door that looked like it had been crashed into many times. the carparks were haphazard and extememly tight which caused angst when trying to park. Our room was large, but very old furnishings, smeely and not as clean as you expect at this sort of establishment. then airconditioner worked occasionally, it was cooler to open the windows. The room was noisy with a football tema sharing our floor and partying all night. There werre people smoking on a non smoking floor and this fileted into the room. When we mentioned this on check out the girl on the counter said she was unable to do anything as she could not control the guests. We dined the resturant, however this was a big mistake as the food was stogy at best. the meat was very well done when we asked for medium rare and the vegetables were salted to such a point the were indeible. When we mentioned this to the waitress she thought it was a great joke and nothing was offered in the way of apologies. The convienience was good, but there are many far better accomodation options available in Sydney.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank jandk_95
rydgescamperdown, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2012

Dear jandk_95,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience during your stay with us.

It’s great to hear the Hotel’s location and size of room’s facilities meet your expectations. I am however sorry to hear of the issues you had experienced whilst with us and I would suggest in future reporting this to the reception at the time so we are able to take action and resolve it at the time.

We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future so please feel free to contact me direct if you do have the requirements to stay in the Camperdown area.

Reviewed 3 February 2012

Rydges Camperdown would have to be the oldest looking of any Rydges Hotels I have stayed at. The look on my face when the lift arrived at my floor and the doors opened would have been priceless. That said, the room I stayed in on Level 4 was large, clean and nicely decorated without being over the top and unlike so many Rydges Hotels the bathroom was actually fairly modern. The view of the city skyline was an added bonus and quite impressive considering the location. As with all Rydges Hotels the bed was extremely comfortable. Being located next to Parramatta Rd there are numerous buses running to the city but remember that they are prepay only between 7am and 7pm weekdays. Taxi fare from city is about $15.00. Rydges Camperdown is very much a case of looks can be deceiving and is a really nice place to stay with prompt check in and check out. The best thing is I paid alot less than I would have at an equivalent city hotel and this included a full buffet breakfast. I also didnt have to take a loan out for car parking. Overall I was more than happy with my stay here and would not hesitate staying again in the future.

Room Tip: Book in advance and get a great deal.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear bluemountainkiwi,

Thank you kindly for your positive comments in regards to your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you were impressed with the overall presentation of the guest rooms and the bathroom facilities. We do strive to provide the highest level of service to our guests and I am so happy to hear it was appreciated.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon and if I can be any further assistance in the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,