“Regular visitor”

Ranked #151 of 175 Hotels in Sydney
Dubbo, Australia
“Regular visitor”
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We travel to Sydney a few occasions a year and try to stay here. Member of the Rydges club. What brings this place down is the tired rooms. Rooms are spacious, staff courteous and helpful and for us the location is great, top this with reasonable pricing. Due back in a couple of weeks.
Supermarket, cafe, and transport close by.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for the purpose of your visit.

I am also pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a fresh and more modern feel and are excited for this to be completed in the coming months.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
  • Vietnamese first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Having read some critical reviews of this hotel, I wasn’t sure what to expect. But as I was attending a conference at Sydney Uni, the location seemed convenient and I am a Rydges Priority Guest member, so the price was right, esp. at the tail-end of a holiday special which included the buffet breakfast for only $5.
I had requested a room on a lower floor with good natural light (this hotel has only 6 or 7 floors, so good for those who don’t like high-rises), so was delighted with my bright spacious room on the 2nd floor. All the essentials were there: radio, big tv, coffee/tea makings, small fridge, nice toiletries, super-comfortable bed and an iron & ironing board. No balconies, but that was OK for a 1-night stay. Despite being at the front of the building, I had no problems with noise.
A few minor quibbles – only 1 hanger in the wardrobe, the wall-based tissue holder needed to be repaired, and the shower curtain could do with replacing (perhaps part of the program of room upgrades) – but not a big deal. There is a charge for internet in the guest rooms (hope this will change!), with free WiFi in the foyer only (which is strangely empty of furniture). First place I've seen for a long time that didn't have a guest feedback form in the room.
The buffet breakfast was perfectly respectable (perhaps a bit skimpy on the fresh fruit) with a good selection of hot and cold options (including excellent scrambled eggs and decadent, delicious yogurt).
Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. My questions were answered quickly and helpfully, extra milk was provided instantaneously, and luggage was stored cheerfully.
What really impressed me was the location of this hotel. At one end of Missenden Road, it is easy walking distance to Sydney University’s Camperdown campus, and minutes from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. A 10 min. walk up Missenden Rd puts you on King St., where you can explore Newtown and its many cafes and quirky little shops. There is a good Nando’s restaurant just across the road from the hotel and many other nearby food options, including a well-stocked convenience store. As someone travelling alone, I felt quite safe in this area in the evening, as the streets were well-lit and there were plenty of people walking around.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and that you have mentioned several positive points that are in line with our goals to provide the best possible service and product to our guests.

I have also passed your comments about the minor maintenance issues in your room to our maintenance team to resolve, thank you for making us aware of these so we can fix them.

Furthermore, I am pleased to advise we are in the final days of upgrading to free wireless access throughout our hotel for all of our guests, which is now a feature shared across all Rydges hotels.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here with my wife for 2 nights. The room was in need of some work. The hair dryer did not work. We had to ask for a bath and basin plug. The shower/bath had mould in the tile grout. To charge $22.00 per night to park in a forest of concrete pillars was outrageous. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Had a problem with access after using the locking button on the inside of the door - don't do it as someone will have to come and unlock it for you, your keycard will not work until that is done. Room did not have sufficient well located power points.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your comments to our Maintenance Manager and our Executive Housekeeper, who are working closely with their teams to rectify these issues.

I am pleased however to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms and are excited for this to be completed in the upcoming months.

We do understand that our car park can be a little tricky to navigate, however all pillars are structural and for this reason cannot be changed, we do also regularly compare prices with all other parking facilities in our area and we do offer some of the cheapest rates available. We can also offer our guests all day parking, until 6pm, on the day of their departure at no extra charge.

Again, thank you for your time, we continuously endeavour to exceed our guests expectations of both the product and service we provide and your feedback will go towards helping us achieve this.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this any further.

Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for the location only. The price is reasonable but our room was in terrible shape. The second room is booked for my family was in better condition. The hotel needs some TLC. Location is good and I would go back if I needed to be in that area again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank W K
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 18 May 2014

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the condition of your room, our Executive Housekeeper is regularly advised of all our guest feedback, and she will share this with her team to ensure they are taking every effort to provide a clean, comfortable environment for all of our guests. I am pleased to advise however, that we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a more modern feel and are excited for this to be completed in the upcoming months.

Guest Relations Manager.

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

newcastle nsw
Reviewed 14 April 2014 via mobile

Must admit I was a little apprehensive after reading such negative reviews about this property, but can happily report that I did not agree. My room was spacious and clean. Hotel is located close to where I needed to be for training the next day. Decor was reasonably modern and the room looked and smelt clean. It had been raining and no sign of mould or leaks. Bathroom fittings were a bit worn but that's the only bad thing I noticed. Breakfast was way overpriced at $27. Overall very good.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay, and mentioned some positive points that are in line with our goals to provide the best product and service to our customers.

Guest Relations Manager.
Australia
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A convenient location if you need get to the RPA hospital or Sydney University. King St, Newtown is a short walk away, with lots of great options for eating out.

My room oldish in decor, but I can live with that. I wasn't impressed with the cleanliness though - the bathroom floor felt grubby, the bottom of the wardrobe was dirty, the mini bar items were coated in dust and there was clothing in the drawer left by a previous guest. The bathroom sink had been cleaned and the floor was vacuumed, but it seemed like it had only had a very superficial clean.
The shower was appalling - cycling through hot/cold/medium which is unpleasant and could be dangerous if you don't jump out to avoid getting burnt. I reported this to staff who said they would have it looked at, but nothing changed and I understand that other rooms have the same issue.

On the good side - the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was enjoyable and the staff were friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 5 April 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay, I have addressed your concerns with our Executive Housekeeper and she is addressing the issues with her team. I have also passed your comments about the shower to our Maintenance Manager; he is currently looking into why this has occurred so that this issue can be resolved as soon as possible. This is certainly not the impression we intended to leave you with, as we continuously endeavor to exceed our guests’ expectations in both the service and product we provide, and your feedback will go towards helping us achieve this.

On a more positive note, I am pleased to see you enjoyed our Rise Buffet Breakfast in our restaurant, found our team friendly and helpful and enjoyed our Rydges Dream beds. I am also pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a fresh and more modern feel, and look forward to this being completed in the coming months.

Again, thank you for your time and feedback, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this further.

Kind Regards,

Singapore
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Pleasant staff on check-in who stored our bags due to our early arrival. Walking distance to Sydney University and restaurants/cafes in Newtown, also short bus ride into the city. The room was large, clean and adequate with a small bathroom, nice view of the city. Could do with some updating but overall good value for the location

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank FamilyAtoll
Clair W, Guest Relations at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 25 March 2014
Hi, Thanks for your nice review, we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, it sounds like our location was very convenient for your requirements. Hope to welcome you back to the hotel another time.

Thanks again!