“Utility rules”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #165 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed a night for business, which was next door at Sydney University. The hotel is "aged" and was once, I think. a Travelodge. The rooms show their age, are reasonably clean, and have most amenities. But the rooms are large, which is a nice change from the modern cubicles that claim to be rooms. I reckon the bed was too soft. Bathrooms could do with a bit of updating and a little more elbow-grease on the cleaning.

It is a relatively cheap hotel or Sydney, but you get what you pay for: location and basic features. You wouldn't stay here on a holiday, but for a business trip it is quite okay. Staff are overworked but helpful. Great rnge of restaurants within about 10 minutes walking.

Like most Australian hotels, the internet charges are too high.

Room Tip: Get on the back of the building for some quiet.
1  Thank Kevin H
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2014

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I have passed your comments about the cleanliness of your bathroom to our Executive Housekeeper and she will share this feedback with her team to ensure all rooms are cleaned to the highest standards for all of our guests. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused during your stay.

I am pleased to see our location was convenient for the purpose of your visit, and excited to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a fresh and more modern feel. We are also in the final stages of having wireless internet installed for access throughout the hotel which we will be offering as a free service to all our guests.

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The room as noted by others was a bit tired, but surprisingly it was both noisy and cold. This is because the window did not have a top seal and you could actually put your finger into the gap. When this was reported, as we were booked in for two days, the staff did provide a doona, together with an explanation that as the air-conditioner was still set for summer it will not heat, only further cool. The bed was very comfortable however. Staff too were helpful and friendly but the building is tired, despite some tarting of the bathrooms. A real drawback was that the shower continually fluctuated between too hot and too cold.
We have stayed here several times over the years but this will be the last time despite its convenient proximity to RPA.
I would not opt for the breakfast at Rowley's bistro, as by 0835 it has been on display for so long that it is half cold an unappetising. Why they don't cook in smaller batches throughout the morning is an open question.

1  Thank Jim C

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay with us.

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your comments about breakfast to our Head Chef and he is currently looking into why this has occurred. I have also spoken with our Maintenance Manager and he is fixing the issues you have addressed with the room you stayed in. Thank you for providing this feedback to us so we have the opportunity to resolve these issues and prevent them from occurring again.

We would like the opportunity to turn this experience around for you, please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this any further.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

I only needed a single but was given a QS bed and a single, overlooked the city of Sydney too. The view was great. Lots of fluffy towels too. A cute touch was the different snacks in the mini bar - old style choccies and lollies too.
The reception staff were super friendly too - especially this tall lean fellow- wish I could remember his name to offer more praise as he was so helpful.
good spot too - If you walk lots like me, the walk to the hotel from CBd was less than half an hour, both times.
I didn't have breakfast there but I'm sure it would be nice.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and have outlined several positive points that are in line with our goals to provide the highest standard of service and product to our guests.

From your description I am sure I know which staff member you are referring to and will pass your compliments along to him.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

I was apprehensive after reading other reviews, I was mostly pleasantly surprised. The room was large, tidy and the Bed was comfortable. My room faced Missendon road (308) was by far the noisiest motel room I have ever stayed in. Windows have no sound insulation which is no good if your going into RPA the next morning for a procedure.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at back of motel ...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused due to the noise on Missenden Road during your stay. We do offer quiet rooms which are located on the opposite side of the hotel, and are able to provide these to our guests at their request. I am pleased to see you found your room clean and comfortable and otherwise enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

We travel to Sydney a few occasions a year and try to stay here. Member of the Rydges club. What brings this place down is the tired rooms. Rooms are spacious, staff courteous and helpful and for us the location is great, top this with reasonable pricing. Due back in a couple of weeks.
Supermarket, cafe, and transport close by.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found our location convenient for the purpose of your visit.

I am also pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a fresh and more modern feel and are excited for this to be completed in the coming months.

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Having read some critical reviews of this hotel, I wasn’t sure what to expect. But as I was attending a conference at Sydney Uni, the location seemed convenient and I am a Rydges Priority Guest member, so the price was right, esp. at the tail-end of a holiday special which included the buffet breakfast for only $5.
I had requested a room on a lower floor with good natural light (this hotel has only 6 or 7 floors, so good for those who don’t like high-rises), so was delighted with my bright spacious room on the 2nd floor. All the essentials were there: radio, big tv, coffee/tea makings, small fridge, nice toiletries, super-comfortable bed and an iron & ironing board. No balconies, but that was OK for a 1-night stay. Despite being at the front of the building, I had no problems with noise.
A few minor quibbles – only 1 hanger in the wardrobe, the wall-based tissue holder needed to be repaired, and the shower curtain could do with replacing (perhaps part of the program of room upgrades) – but not a big deal. There is a charge for internet in the guest rooms (hope this will change!), with free WiFi in the foyer only (which is strangely empty of furniture). First place I've seen for a long time that didn't have a guest feedback form in the room.
The buffet breakfast was perfectly respectable (perhaps a bit skimpy on the fresh fruit) with a good selection of hot and cold options (including excellent scrambled eggs and decadent, delicious yogurt).
Hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. My questions were answered quickly and helpfully, extra milk was provided instantaneously, and luggage was stored cheerfully.
What really impressed me was the location of this hotel. At one end of Missenden Road, it is easy walking distance to Sydney University’s Camperdown campus, and minutes from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. A 10 min. walk up Missenden Rd puts you on King St., where you can explore Newtown and its many cafes and quirky little shops. There is a good Nando’s restaurant just across the road from the hotel and many other nearby food options, including a well-stocked convenience store. As someone travelling alone, I felt quite safe in this area in the evening, as the streets were well-lit and there were plenty of people walking around.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for providing your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and that you have mentioned several positive points that are in line with our goals to provide the best possible service and product to our guests.

I have also passed your comments about the minor maintenance issues in your room to our maintenance team to resolve, thank you for making us aware of these so we can fix them.

Furthermore, I am pleased to advise we are in the final days of upgrading to free wireless access throughout our hotel for all of our guests, which is now a feature shared across all Rydges hotels.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed here with my wife for 2 nights. The room was in need of some work. The hair dryer did not work. We had to ask for a bath and basin plug. The shower/bath had mould in the tile grout. To charge $22.00 per night to park in a forest of concrete pillars was outrageous. Bed was comfortable. Room was clean. Had a problem with access after using the locking button on the inside of the door - don't do it as someone will have to come and unlock it for you, your keycard will not work until that is done. Room did not have sufficient well located power points.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your comments to our Maintenance Manager and our Executive Housekeeper, who are working closely with their teams to rectify these issues.

I am pleased however to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms and are excited for this to be completed in the upcoming months.

We do understand that our car park can be a little tricky to navigate, however all pillars are structural and for this reason cannot be changed, we do also regularly compare prices with all other parking facilities in our area and we do offer some of the cheapest rates available. We can also offer our guests all day parking, until 6pm, on the day of their departure at no extra charge.

Again, thank you for your time, we continuously endeavour to exceed our guests expectations of both the product and service we provide and your feedback will go towards helping us achieve this.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly should you wish to discuss this any further.