“Two nights at the Rydges Camperdown”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I stayed at the Rydges camperdown for a work meeting over a weekend. I spent two nights in the hotel. the room itself was adequate and I can't complain about free wi-fi that worked most of the time. The bed I slept in was comfortable, I didn't try the other two beds in the room. I had two concerns, one was the cockroaches in the room and the second one was a broken toilet flush button. The toilet still flushed but I reckon the button should be easy enough to repair.
The proximity to the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and the University of Sydney is fantastic.
Room service from Rowleys Restaurant was very good. Check out my blog to read a review.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gary L
Janefa H, Guest Relations at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time out to write your feedback on your recent stay with us.
I am very pleased to read that our beds were very comfortable, the free Wi-Fi worked well for you and our location was convenient for the purpose of your stay.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenienced caused during your stay. I have passed your concerns to our Housekeeping and Maintenance department regarding the broken toilet flush button and cockroaches in the room and we will get this issues resolved as quickly as possible.
Once again thank you for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

There are newer reviews for Rydges Camperdown

Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

I had to stay due to its closeness to RPA hospital where my husband is a patient. The lobby staff were friendly. I wish that I knew you had to pay to park there, it costs $22 a day.
The room was large but very rundown. It says you get free wifi but only in bar area not in rooms. The bed was amazing a pity there is no foxtel only limited channels not at all what I expected. The food was truly overpriced!!!!
The cost for you get was a joke $170 a night for a very rundown room.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank cassie436
Janefa H, Guest Relations at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

I am pleased to read that our lobby staff were friendly. I am also pleased to advise that we do have free Wi-Fi in the hotel which now includes the hotel rooms as well.
I do apologise for the inconvenienced caused during your stay. We do charge for parking which is $22 per night and is the cheapest in our area.
Your concerns have been passed on to our Food & Beverage and Housekeeping department and will be resolved as quickly as possible.
We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

When you pay more than $800 for 3 nights accommodation you would expect that the hotel be of a high standard. We were extremely disappointed with our stay at this hotel June 2014. To be told at booking that kids eat for free at the restaurant was a huge plus for us. To be told at check in that the restaurant is closed was rediculous. We should have been told at time of booking. The bathroom was a disgrace with rusty shower curtain rod and mouldy shower curtain,as well as shoddy repairs and a faulty front door lock. We had to call the hotel upon check out via phone as we couldnt raise anyone over intercom when we were trying to exit the basement. A rip off and any wonder we will travel overseas from now on.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank trev1577
Janefa H, Guest Relations at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I do apologise for the inconvenienced caused during your stay. Your concerns have been passed on to our Management and the Housekeeping Department and we will ensure these issues are resolved as quickly as possible.
Once again we do apologise for the inconvenienced caused and we do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I was a little worried about staying at Rydges Camperdown, as it is directly across the road from Royal Prince Alfred Hospital and the thought of sirens and traffic noise all night was worrying. Luckily I had a room at the back of the building which was not very noisy at all. The room was clean and tidy but certainly showed signs of its age eg there were only two power points in the room and as I was travelling for business it made it difficult to charge up phones, computers etc.
The staff were very friendly and helpful. The restaurant was pleasant and offered a reasonable selection at the breakfast buffet. WiFi is free which is also fabulous.
The central position makes it a great place to stay for work as it is close to universities, hospitals and public transport. As long as you have a room away from Missenden Road you are probably able to have some piece and quiet but I would take some ear plugs just in case. The motel would greatly benefit from a facelift including triple glazing to the windows.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jane D
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with us.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and found our team friendly and helpful as we continuously endeavour to exceed our guests’ expectations in both the product and service we provide. I am also excited to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms and look forward to this being completed in the upcoming months.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

At last - a hotel in Sydney with FREE WIFI! I'd return just for this alone. Yes, the rooms are somewhat dated with 'bitsy' renovations e.g. the bed is new and the sink in the bathroom is new but the carpet is badly worn and the furnishings look like they were from my Nanna's house in the 1960s. The TV didn't work properly and the TV remote was repaired with copious amounts of sticky tape.
I had a city view room which was worth the slight extra charge and it was quiet, although you're on Missenden Road very close to Parramatta Road, so sirens and drunks abound at night.
Another upside - walking distance to King Street, Newtown and all the funky bars and restaurants up there.
The staff were really good and very helpful. Check-in was very efficient.

I'd return but only when renovations are complete.

Room Tip: Get a city view room
Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank KathyW201

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay; we are very excited to be able to provide our guests with free WIFI access throughout the hotel.

I have passed your comments about the TV in your room to our maintenance team and they will be checking all of our guest rooms to ensure there are no further issues; however our reception team are always happy to assist with this at any time of the day or night.

I am also pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms, including replacing furniture, and look forward to this being completed in the upcoming months.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

My partner and I stayed here on the weekend, good location but when we arrived Saturday and enquired about the bar/restaurant we were advised that it was closed on weekends, What a joke!! if we had of know that prior to booking we would never have chosen to stay here, there was no fan in the bathroom and the hot water surged on and off in the shower.
On the upside the staff were friendly and the bed was comfortable.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katrina b
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have informed our Maintenance Manager of the issues you experienced with the shower in your room and he is working to resolve this.

Unfortunately our bar and restaurant don’t open for lunch and dinner on the weekends, however we do still offer 24 hour room service to ensure there is always something available for our guests.

On a more positive note I am pleased to see you found our team friendly and enjoyed our Rydges Dream Beds.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed for business and went with Rydges for the name, big mistake. The room was OLD and in bad need of refurb, there were power points hanging off the wall, a light without a cover with the bulb and wiring exposed, the phone was missing buttons. The bathroom was disgraceful, there were holes around the power points and around the taps on the shower, the hot water was scolding then cold while I was in the shower and it happened both times, the bath plug was yellow and green clearly from not being cleaned properly, the room service was barely edible and seriously over priced. The breakfast buffet was the only demeaning thing about this place and even then it was fine but not spectacular.
I was bitterly disappointed and will not be staying here again.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Lys_culley
Clair W, Guest Relations Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Please accept my sincerest apologies for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your concerns to our Maintenance Manager and Executive Housekeeper and they are ensuring these get resolved as quickly as possible. I have also passed your comments about our restaurant and room service to our Head Chef and he is following this up with his team.

I am pleased to advise we are currently in the process of updating all of our guest rooms for a more modern and fresh feel and are excited for this to be completed in the upcoming months.

I am disappointed your stay was not as enjoyable as we would have hoped and we would love the opportunity to show you we can in fact ‘get it right’. Please don’t hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel should you wish to discuss this further.

Again, thank you for your time, your feedback will go towards improving the experience our guests have whilst staying with us.