“Average Room but Excellent service May 2010”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I was travelling looking for a place to stay.. I thought too big about the first Rydges but am only familiar with Rydges in Auckland. In Camperdown it seemed like a cold unattractive lobby when we reached the floor I was glad to ask to look at a room first that came close to a Priority Guest room.
Realized i could get the same price at the 4 star in north sydney but out of the way in that area.
Very good service from the hotel staff I was grateful for them helping me book a room right there for north sydneys Rydges hotel

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Particularwhynot
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, we are currently in the process of updating our reception and foyer area. We are delighted to hear your comments regarding the reception team and hope that we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 25 May 2010

I had two major concerns:

1) the state of disrepair of the room - and in particular the bathroom - was distressing.

2) This is my major complaint: I realised when I returned late that evening that I was in a room that reeked of smoke. I found this very distasteful and distracting. The odor made it difficult to sleep and enjoy my stay. Later I found an ashtray in the room confirming my suspicions. There was no sign on the door designating the rooms as a smoking room. Later when I complained to the desk clerk on checkout I was told in an almost flippant manner that the hotel was phasing out smoking and that the previous guest must have been 'bad'. This was one of the worst hotel experiences in my last decade of travel.

Why didn't I request a new room? I noticed / recognised the smell late in the evening. I figured I could just soldier through.

I was disappointed on three levels regarding the smoking issue:

1) that I was not given a choice / notified about the state of the room.

2) that the desk clerk was not particularly concerned about my discomfort. I wonder if she reported this to management.

3) The fact that such a room could exist. The oppressing feel / smell of the room is my most distinctive memory of the Rydges Camperdown in Sydney.

Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank sitegeist
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address these comments with the front office team. The hotel does have 6 non-smoking floors and 1 smoking floor. I do apologise for the inconvenience causes and hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed 1 April 2010

My second time at this Hotel as I’ve had to spend some time at the Hospital that is just down the road so very convenient.

The rooms during my first stay were looking tired and was a bit hesitant to re book, but thought I would give them another go mainly due to the location. But now that the rooms have been refurbished with new bathrooms, beds and carpet they look fantastic, great value for money. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have already booked for next month as I have to revisit the Hospital... unfortunately. And the staff was lovely especially in the restaurant.

Justin

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple

Hi Justin,
Thank you for for taking the time to post this positive review, we really appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown.

Reviewed 28 March 2010

Outside looking of hotel is very old and discoloured. Went to the room and found the basin was too small to fit the kettle inside to refill the tap water.

There are few channel on TV as well. Even there are not full of free air channel. Very surprised that I could hear the TV sound from next room. Wow, if you want to talk some private things, should be careful the ears in the next door.

More disgusting that there were some stains on the flat sheet.

I dislike this hotel and will not recommend it to others. It is my first time, also last time to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank bylife

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, we are currently in the process of updating our reception and foyer area. We are disappointed to hear your comments regarding the room and have personally addressed them with both the Housekeeping Manager and Maintenance Manager.

Reviewed 2 February 2010

The room was unclean... I accidently knocked the bed, and found underneath the bed was absolutely FILTHY! My bottom sheet had been put on without covering the lower section of the bed.

I asked for a wake up call as I had a six hour meeting the next day. I was woken up 1.5 HOURS prior to the time I asked to be woken up! How unprofessional!!

There were signs everywhere in the hotel advertising a happy hour with canapes during weekdays. There was no happy hour or canapes.

I was charged twice for WiFi access due to internet dropping out!

Shower was cold (had hot tap on full and no cold water, and it was STILL cold!), and had a leak out the side, which leaked all over my clothes.

Upon complaining to staff, I was treated very nonchalant, and given a discount. I made it clear I didn't want a discount, I wanted an apology. Didn't get one.

I am a priority privilege member with Intercontinental Hotels and have stayed with them worldwide, and NEVER had any troubles with them. I will never stay at a Rydges again after this experience, would not recommend.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Ducati_Girl848
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address your comments you mentioned with our Management Team. Once again I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 15 January 2010

Checked in and they had allocated a non smoking room despite repeated requests for a smoking room. Another friend who doesnt smoke was allocated a smoking room. So it appears if you request a smoking room you dont get one and if you dont smoke you get one.
Then the very kind man at the Reception found us a room on the smoking floor but it only had one bed so he offered us a roll away bed. I have slept on rollaway beds before but this one was awful and very very uncomfortable and woke with a very very sore back. When the rollaway arrived the guy just dumped it in the room and ran out of the room so quick and didnt offer to set it up for us.

The room itself is very very tired and there is paint peeling from the walls, the bathroom is worn out and cracked and broken tiles and a very filthy toilet.

Having stayed at other Rydges Hotels before I was expecting a pretty good standard and was not impressed with this place at all - it would barely meet the 3 star rating.

The room service breakfast was great value and arrived on time and was very appetising.

There were serious problems with the airconditioning in the room as in the early hours of the morning it was boiling hot in the room and impossible to sleep comfortably. I ended up having to wet a towel to keep me cool.

A bit disappointed considering the brand new Rydges.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Matey9

Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address your comments with the Management Team. Once again I do apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Reviewed 24 December 2009

Room was neat and clean which suited our needs. Beds were comfortable. LCD T.V. very nice. Male reception person needs education on customer focus i.e. polite communication NOT just the word 'Yes!' spoken in a rude and disinterested tone when approached politely by Guest who asked 'excuse me please.......'. Extremely unprofessional.

Full breakfast was atrocious! Not hot, not much on offer and that was just after 8a.m.! Coffee could not be drunk as it actually looked like dirty dish water. A cliche, I know, but true. Dining room staff really should move the butter & margarine away from the industrial size toaster. Just common sense! Please ensure enough hot food for guests as I saw people with barely anything on their plate as baine-maries' were nearly empty. Two staff went about slowly removing and replacing plates but not replacing food! So, do NOT have breakfast there!

Female reception staff was very pleasant, courteous and professional.
All in all got a good price and it was what it was. Not really complaining but they do need to pick up their act in a couple of areas as above.

• Stayed: December 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, I was truly disappointed to hear you comments regarding the level of service, as this is something we pride ourselves in. Once again thank you for your comments and we hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.