“Functional, slow lift, helpful staff”
Review of Rydges Camperdown

Rydges Camperdown
Ranked #156 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Brisbane, Australia
“Functional, slow lift, helpful staff”
Reviewed 24 July 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here for a conference at the uni (over the road). Initially I was given a front room - but there is no double glazing and the windows don't fit the frame so there is a steady breeze and traffic noise. Rooms at back quieter. The hotel is functional, if a little tired. The second lift wasn't walking, and the other is slow, slow, slow. There is no way to walk down stairs (the fire doors are for emergencies only). Morning congestion were regular pain. On positive side staff are helpful, and I feel sorry for them because given better facilities this would make a pleasant hotel. The price is reasonable, the location was great for conference and city, but I think next time I'll go for a local B and B.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 9 August 2010
Dear Mr Balfour
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown.
As you mentioned unfortunately one of the 2 lifts was out of order due to an unexpected maintenance issue, which had an impact during morning checkouts, this maintenance issue has since been rectified. We thank you for the comments regarding the customer service, we pride ourselves on customer service and our staff play a big role in achieving this, Once again thank you for your comments and we hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Warm Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Vietnamese first
NSW
Reviewed 15 July 2010

Have stayed here a few times and although the rooms are dated and in need of an upgrade, for the price it is very reasonable. Staff are always lovely and helpful. Showers are pretty average and hard to fit under if you're tall. Room service was quick, hot and tasty (got the club sandwich and beef burger). Location is great for visitors to Sydney as Newtowns King St is 5 min walk and the city is a $10-15 cab ride.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 21 July 2010
Dear jsmoo1,

Thank you for for taking the time to post this positive review, we really appreciate it and look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 16 June 2010

We stayed their for our 33rd anniversary as it was close to Harold Park trots that we had arranged to go to, we paid $169 for a top floor smoking room with city views the room did not smell of smoke, we paid $12 for overnight parking & did not have to worry about our car as it was locked up under the motel & a lift took us straight up to our room which we liked alot. We found the room to be clean & comfortable, the staff friendly & we had a great breakfast delivered to our room on time, we would like to say thank you, we had a good night.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments on trip advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown in the near future
Gold Coast
Reviewed 13 June 2010

Booking online was a breeze, the prices were the cheapest around the area $100ish a night for 3 nights, the room was used purley to sleep in, it was a little plain but I wasn't expecting a palace.

Being close to RPA and Parramatta Rd with express bus to city was a huge benefit, didn't use the restaurant and bar, ate in China town each night, Cruisy little pub up the road with $8 steak and chips cant go wrong.

If your looking for opulance at $180 a night this place isn't for you, but if you budget conscious this place will suit you perfectly with fast close transport I'll stay again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Thanks for taking the time to post a favourable comment on trip advisor. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown.

New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2010

I was travelling looking for a place to stay.. I thought too big about the first Rydges but am only familiar with Rydges in Auckland. In Camperdown it seemed like a cold unattractive lobby when we reached the floor I was glad to ask to look at a room first that came close to a Priority Guest room.
Realized i could get the same price at the 4 star in north sydney but out of the way in that area.
Very good service from the hotel staff I was grateful for them helping me book a room right there for north sydneys Rydges hotel

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Particularwhynot
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, we are currently in the process of updating our reception and foyer area. We are delighted to hear your comments regarding the reception team and hope that we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I had two major concerns:

1) the state of disrepair of the room - and in particular the bathroom - was distressing.

2) This is my major complaint: I realised when I returned late that evening that I was in a room that reeked of smoke. I found this very distasteful and distracting. The odor made it difficult to sleep and enjoy my stay. Later I found an ashtray in the room confirming my suspicions. There was no sign on the door designating the rooms as a smoking room. Later when I complained to the desk clerk on checkout I was told in an almost flippant manner that the hotel was phasing out smoking and that the previous guest must have been 'bad'. This was one of the worst hotel experiences in my last decade of travel.

Why didn't I request a new room? I noticed / recognised the smell late in the evening. I figured I could just soldier through.

I was disappointed on three levels regarding the smoking issue:

1) that I was not given a choice / notified about the state of the room.

2) that the desk clerk was not particularly concerned about my discomfort. I wonder if she reported this to management.

3) The fact that such a room could exist. The oppressing feel / smell of the room is my most distinctive memory of the Rydges Camperdown in Sydney.

Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank sitegeist
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown, I have personally address these comments with the front office team. The hotel does have 6 non-smoking floors and 1 smoking floor. I do apologise for the inconvenience causes and hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.
Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Sydney
Reviewed 1 April 2010

My second time at this Hotel as I’ve had to spend some time at the Hospital that is just down the road so very convenient.

The rooms during my first stay were looking tired and was a bit hesitant to re book, but thought I would give them another go mainly due to the location. But now that the rooms have been refurbished with new bathrooms, beds and carpet they look fantastic, great value for money. I was pleasantly surprised.

I have already booked for next month as I have to revisit the Hospital... unfortunately. And the staff was lovely especially in the restaurant.

Justin