Rydges Camperdown
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)
US$250
US$195
US$189
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$139
US$125
Priceline
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2010

Were do I begin!!!
My partner and I had booked a Superior Queen room for the night as we were seeing a concert near by. Had fast check-in. As we got to the room our card took us about 10 attempts to open the door very frustrating, this happened everytime we wanted to enter the room throughout stay. Very annoying!
Well what can I say about the room! It had a double bed and a single bed in it. It looked nothing like the room we had booked. One of the reasons we booked here as they have the dream bed which are the most comfortable beds ever!! When I looked at the bed it look to be as old as the hotel!! Definently not a dream bed. Had one of the wheels broken on it! When I pulled back the cover on bed which looked to be about 20 years old it had stains all over it and the blanket underneath had hair all over it. So gross. I rang reception and said this dosen't look like the room we had booked. He said sorry they don't have any Superior Queen rooms left! Well maybe they shouldn't have had them on there webpage that they had 3 Superior Queen rooms when I booked! Not happy. He said we could have the $12 parking for free and free breakfast.
Well I'm glad the breakfast ws free because I wouldn't have payed $21.50 for it! Not a huge variety to chose from. Bacon under cooked and overall not worth it!
Also the bathroom shower was terrible, glad I didn't need to wash hair as It would have been difficult to get hair wet! Also the toilet had black stains in it like it hadn't been cleaned in ages and there was black hair in the bath! Im blonde!
Im not one to usually write a review but was very dissapointed with stay here. I am a rydges member and have stayed in numerous other ones and have never had a problem before. I feel for the $171 we payed I think we deserved better. We could have payed abit more and stayed in a much nicer hotel in town. The location was good close to Newtown and great restaurants. Would suggest when booking to ring and comfirm what room you have as the other rooms on website look much updated and has new bedspreads.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frogstar01
Reviewed 24 September 2010

On a recent stay at the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised when walking in to the room.

The rooms are spacious, clean and have been recently refurbished to a high standard in comparison to other hotels in the local area. The Dream Bed in the room was amazing, I have not slept so well in months. My husband particularly enjoyed the larger than average LCD televsion and the fact that there was three sports channels to flick through.

If you are looking for a good priced hotel that is close to the city, without paying CBD prices, then this is the hotel for you.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

We planned to stay here because of the position, and then had to also bring 2 teenage girls to stay with us at short notice so had to book another room. The reservations people were very helpful and got us interconnecting rooms even though the hotel was quite full.

Staff at reception were efficient for both check in and check out, although we had a child in a wheelchair and it was raining so we could not park near the entrance because someone without a disabled permit had parked in the disabled spot. The person on reception either couldn't or wouldn't do anything about this. In the whole time we stayed in the hotel there were cars without permits parked in the disabled parking spot. I think that the hotel needs to start monitoring this as it is quite difficult to get a wheelchair in and out of a car in the rain believe me!

The rooms were nice but there was no cutlery in the rooms which was also a bit inconvenient as we could not go out in the rain for dinner so bought take away from across the road at Nandos...btw if you want to see bad service check that place out !!!.

Overall though, it was a good experience and I would rate the hotel as good value for the price and position.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We were a small group of parents caring for a number of teenagers who were attending various theatre workshops/functions at the Sydney University and the ATYP. The hotel staff happily accommodated us all on the one floor and were happy to oblige with any request throughout our stay . The hotel is located very close to the Uni and the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital. Buses and taxis are a stones throw away. The rooms were basic but clean, with opening windows which was an added bonus. The room had a mini kitchenette with a small sink , a double stove top & small bar fridge, although we found no pots or pans or cooking utensils. My son & I found no problem with noise even though we kept the window ajar overnight......perhaps we were too exhausted! We enjoyed fabulous breakfasts (& coffee!) at the Hoochie Mama Cafe only a 5 minute walk up Missenden Road towards Newtown. All in all, a good hotel for a reasonable price in a good location.

• Stayed: July 2010
RCDManager, Manager at Rydges Camperdown, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2010

Thank you for taking the time to post your positive comments on trip advisor. We are delighted to hear that you enjoy your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to Rydges Camperdown in the near future

Kind Regards

Reviewed 24 July 2010

This is the second time I have stayed here for a conference at the uni (over the road). Initially I was given a front room - but there is no double glazing and the windows don't fit the frame so there is a steady breeze and traffic noise. Rooms at back quieter. The hotel is functional, if a little tired. The second lift wasn't walking, and the other is slow, slow, slow. There is no way to walk down stairs (the fire doors are for emergencies only). Morning congestion were regular pain. On positive side staff are helpful, and I feel sorry for them because given better facilities this would make a pleasant hotel. The price is reasonable, the location was great for conference and city, but I think next time I'll go for a local B and B.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Dear Mr Balfour
Thank you for taking the time to post this review, it is disappointing to hear that you had an unfortunate experience whilst staying with us at Rydges Camperdown.
As you mentioned unfortunately one of the 2 lifts was out of order due to an unexpected maintenance issue, which had an impact during morning checkouts, this maintenance issue has since been rectified. We thank you for the comments regarding the customer service, we pride ourselves on customer service and our staff play a big role in achieving this, Once again thank you for your comments and we hope we are given the opportunity to host you again.

Warm Regards