“Exceptional value, helpfulness and friendliness”
Review of The Maisonette

The Maisonette
Ranked #4 of 57 Sydney B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 May 2010

Having been in New Zealand for 5 weeks we decided to stop in Sydney for 7 days in the middle of April, but then found ourselves caught up in the volcanic ash fiasco with no prospect of a flight for ages and had to extend our stay. We then left Sydney for two weeks and when we came back in May, we booked back in to the Maisonette for the simple reason that the staff and management had been so helpful, and friendly previously that we felt like "family" and were treated the same. Yes I have to admit that the rooms are not over large, but are more than adequate, and the plus side for us was having the fridge, microwave etc., and being so near the shops to be able to buy food and cook some dinners as money became a bit tight. Luckily our room was on the first floor and as we are not "youngsters" this was a bonus as I dont think we could have managed another flight up. Yes the front rooms do suffer from the noise of the street and restrauants but you can shut the blinds and put the fan on and it cuts out 90% of the noise. I cant fault the cleanliness, and certainly wouldnt expect my sheets to be changed daily, but the towels were and they were good quality towels. For the price being charged here taking into account its location, I think it was exceptional value for money and if we ever went back to Sydney we wouldnt hesitate to book in again!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and I read all the reviews on here so we were not sure what to expect. We wanted something somewhat inexpensive (which is hard to find in Sydney) and had a good location (close to transportation and what not). We were very surprised and excited by our choice to stay here. Every morning we would walk to the harbour, which takes about 20 minutes. On the way, we would go through the botanical gardens, eat at Harry's Cafe (must go), and see the beautiful views of the city. You can take the 311 bus (picks up right outside the hotel) or the train (Kings Cross stop - which is about a 10 minute walk), but we just loved walking around in Sydney. The location of this place is actually quite good - yes you are not staying in the middle of downtown, but you do have a great area for restaurants and bars in the Kings Cross area. Basically, it was a good distance away from the Kings Cross area so it wasn't loud, but close enough that it was easily accessible. It is also only 2 stops away from Bondi Beach. The rooms were an ok size and had a microwave, plates, etc, which was nice because we were able to make sandwiches. This is obviously not a 5 star hotel and we weren't expecting it to be. The staff was wonderful! Very friendly and welcoming plus they were helpful and explained how to get everywhere. I think for the price (Sydney is pretty expensive in terms of food, accommodation, etc) this was a great place for us. I would recommend it to anyone that wants a good value and good location. The only negative that I would say is try to get a room in the back, we liked our room, but unfortunately every morning at 6am the garbage man would wake me up. We could have complained, but it wasn't that big of deal. I will say that the pictures of the rooms look much nicer than they are, but they were comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 April 2010

Visting Australia on both business and leisure with my husband, we stayed at The Maisonette Hotel upon our arrival in Sydney (before venturing to other parts of Australia). Being in the "industry", I can be quite a pain to deal with and had asked loads of questions, all of which were politely replied to, before our arrival. For the price we paid for a King Room with ensuite, I found it to be exceptional, especially compared to some other hotels I had also contacted. The staff were very courteous and made us feel at home. The location is also a great asset to The Maisonette Hotel, my husband and I love to wine and dine (!!) and there were so many restaurants in the area, not to mention that in 20 minutes of walking you could find yourself in the heart of the city centre. On our return back to Sydney, and before flying back home, we said "why the hell not" and spent our last two nights in Australia again at The Maisonette Hotel. They welcomed us as if we had not left (and we got the same room too!). If you are looking for great location, cleanliness and a hotel that is not going to "burn a hole in your pocket", then check out The Maisonette Hotel. Thank you for having us - we really enjoyed our stay!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank AthensandBeyond
Reviewed 6 April 2010

I stayed for 2 nights in April 2010, and booked a special internet advertised deal that included breakfast in a self contained room with kitchenette. There was no tea bags, milk, or tea towel and then when i inquired about breakfast I was told (rudely) I got such a great deal that it wasn't actually included even though my voucher stated it was and the place is called a bed and breakfast, and was then told that they had actually sold the restaurant. I see they are still advertising this deal on the internet though even though I pointed this out. Other than that, the room was nice and clean and the location good, though the $100 key deposit and host was a bit strange. Unfortunately I won't be back.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
maisonettesydney, Manager at The Maisonette, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2010

Dear guest, I was sad to read that you feel that our service was bad. During the period in which you stayed with us, our restaurant was in the processes of changing ownership and thus breakfast is no longer included. This would have been reflected in a cheaper rate being offered to you. If there has been a mistake with what was quoted please email us and let us know so we may rectify this for you. The $100.00 deposit is taken as security for your room and is destroyed when you return the key upon check out. This is standard practice with all hotels. Most hotels however do not offer the courtesy of explaining this to you on check in, rather they put an amount on hold on your credit card. There is nothing strange about this. Again if you have any concerns I would encourage you to contact us.

Reviewed 31 March 2010

We stayed here while in Sydney for a family wedding which was held at the nearby Botanical Gardens. The Hotel was clean & we had a room at the front which gave us a lovely view especially at night over the city.
It is in walking distance to the City (for people with reasonable fitness). Kings Cross & the Botanic Gardens.
The two small problems that i found were 1: the en suit in our room was very small if you are an over average sized person. 2: The rooms are upstairs which if you are not able to climb lots of stairs can be a problem. These were only small issues which we handled.
The price of the rooms was more than reasonable for the location. I understand that if staying there now you also get a breakfast included in the price. I don't recall this when we stayed there which was in 2005.
Car parking was hard to get in the Street but we were able to park in a nearby undercover car park for the week we were there which was arranged with the Hotel.
All in all a more than reasonable stay was had by both of us, & we were able to walk to the wedding & back.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 March 2010

We stayed at the Maisonette Hotel for a total of two weeks and were were in two rooms - one for two people and the other for 3 people. The rooms are adequate in size given we were sleeping there or having an afternoon snooze. The price was excellent for what we got. I am chemically sensitive and found the rooms to be clean enough for me. During the second week the staff had installed vanilla scented plugins in the room which I had to remove. But other than that I had no issues.

The price includes breakfast at the restaurant downstairs which is a croissant (baked there) and choice of types of coffee. If this doesn't interest you then save up the coupons to use the credits another day for a different breakfast. All the food is really good.

The laides that man the front desk are extremely friendly and go out of their way to provide information and assistance.

The area in which the hotel is located is in the "hub" of Sydney. There are loads of restaurants nearby, grocery store, post office. It is a short walk to the docks and then to the Botanical Gardens. Just beyond that is the Ferry Quay. A five or ten minute walk from the hotel gives access to the trains which we used to get to Bondi Beach.

All in all this hotel was extremely good value and I would not hesitate to stay there again. I notice that someone complained about the bed linens not being changed daily. I have never stayed in a hotel that changed the sheets daily during my stay. I don't do that at home. The towels were changed daily and there was one day in which their laundry supplier did not deliver so the towels could not be changed. The staff were very appologetic about that shortcoming.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank lisaworm61
Reviewed 10 February 2010

We stayed in The Maisonette for 3 days, and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Ideally situated in one of the better areas, surrounded by small bars and restaurants and in easy walking distance to the underground trains, we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone! The room was spacious and very very clean, and the staff could not do enough to ensure that your stay with them was one to remember..next time we visit Sidney we would deffinately stay at The Maisonette..... Jackie & Chris from England.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple