“Really quite OK”
Review of Maze Backpackers

Maze Backpackers
Ranked #26 of 144 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I didn't expect the world - after all Maze is simply a really well priced backpacker hostel - but I was more than happy with what it offered. General cleaning certainly needs some attention, but my bed was comfortable and the bedding was clean. I only stayed a couple of nights but would be happy to return. Yes there was some noise. To be expected! But this was more than compensated for by the price, free meals and fabulous location. The staff were really lovely and helpful despite being incredibly busy. I recommend it for what it is. If you want more then pay for a 5-star hotel!!!!

Room Tip: My single room is really large and nice. It's an old building so the walls are thick which means...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 28 November 2012

Arrived from the airport to this stinking awful room, which had stained bottom bed sheets and stained duvets. Next the showers were disgusting and had hair all over the floor... Not just any old hairs!! Absolutely disgusting! Then there was hairs all in the sink were some hanging disgusting person didn't clean there mess up from shaving. The room stunk like sweat as soon as we walked in and had this unusual smell in it all the time. The room well that was just a double bed, no wardrobes, no table no nothing just a bed and window. Which when I looked out the window I couldn't because there was so much S***t on it. Cocky Australians eating out of a massive saucepan which is meant for cooking not eating out off and left other people to wait for him to finish his food first before they could use it. One thing is DO NOT GO TO THIS AWFUL HOSTEL!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank JoshP1122
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I can appreciate the appeal of backpacker accomodation and have stayed in several myself when moneys been tight while travelling but I know for a fact you can get better backpacker accomodation than this. Try other hostels before you decide to take the plunge on this one, the thing that hit me most of all as I walked up the stairs to my room was the smell, like a combination of sweat and musky carpet. The beds were uncomfy, their were suspicious stains on my sheets, the toilets smelt worse than a train stations and the staff on the desk were obnoxious and rude. At least the showers were warm.

Room Tip: Pick one in a different building.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank wanderer1990
Reviewed 23 November 2012 via mobile

I had a weekend in sydney and needed to be in the centre of town. Everything is so expensive in there, but the Maze offered very reasonable rates. Then I read all the scathing reviews... I was almost put off.
The majority of these reviewers are clearly over-pampered backpackers. It saddened me how petty some of the complaints were. Sure it's a little noisy; you are in the middle of town!
The room was fine,relatively clean with fresh sheets.The carpet was clearly old, but not anything that concerned me.
I arrived at 4pm and the staff (especially a spritely irish lass) were incredibly happy and helpful. My room was right beside the pool room; alarm bells? Sure there was a little rowdy behavior... it's a friday night... it's the city... I get on with things and shut mentally shut it out... being tired when you go to bed helps.

Overall, I was extremely surprised at how much I enjoyed my two nights at this timesaver. Well worth a stay for those who are not analy-retentive.

The whole city within walking distance !!!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Paul T
Reviewed 14 November 2012

read the other reviews previously, but fortunately I didn't have awful experience. the receptionist was quite impolite. but the bed and toilets were okay. i saw someone cleaning it.
It is a cheap rent and located in the middle of the city, so what would I expect.
I chose 6 person bedroom, and actually it was quite nice, considering my bed was clean and the room is not that messy.

Room Tip: book in advance.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 November 2012

The thing that the other reviewers don't realize is that this backpackers is catering for a certain type of clientele - that is, people who are from other Australian cities (such as myself) who are only coming to Sydney to party for the night and need a place to crash afterwards. I completely agree that this is NOT the place to try to get some sleep before flying out/after a day of sightseeing. But for people such as myself, Maze is by far the best option: its near central station so you can go back and forth to different areas but also great bars close by, free dinner and drinks to get you started for the night (also cheap food everywhere around the hostel), free towels/hairdryers to rent, and everyone gets their own key so going in and out of the hostel is easy at any time of day (there's a guard to to let you in at night).

I've already booked this place again for my next night out in Sydney.

Room Tip: Ask for a 'green' or 'yellow' room: the rooms are a floor above the kitchen so you d...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Security are very rude. The receptionists as well. The Worst hostel ever. During the night someone came in my room because the receptionist gave him a wrong key. and it's very dirty and noisy. One night I came back with my girlfriend and the security stop us like a criminal and ask for our keys, I showed him my key and I said we left the other key in the room because we was togheter and we didn't need two keys to go out, and he didn't want to let us pass. I asked to go in the room to grab the other key and show it to him but it was no way. After 5 minutes a guy from the reception check our name and it was ok, but I still hate that security stupid guy.

Room Tip: No one is good, and every room are dirty, noisy and unsafety.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple