“Most disgusting place i have ever seen!! ***AVOID***”
Review of Maze Backpackers

Maze Backpackers
Ranked #26 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Most disgusting place i have ever seen!! ***AVOID***”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I had booked to stay here for 4 nights in November. To make it quick, the reception area looked like it was a cool place, lots of young people our age around. We had booked a private double room... We got into the room, it was very basic. Bed was falling apart, holes in the bed linen and curtains, and DIRTY tissues and beer bottle lids were under the bed from the last people who stayed there. There was also a rotten plank of wood under the bed too, i have no idea why!! The toilets were so disgusting that I don't want to write what they were like on here but take my word for it, I wouldn't put my dog in there. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Had to wait for 2 hours to speak to the manager, who was helpful and did give me a full refund. Avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MOC90

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I think the best thing about Maze is its location- Chinatown and lots of good eating places just around the corner. The 24 hour check-in was great as my plane was very delayed and didn't get to Sydney until nearly midnight. However I found the building itself to be very run down and the bathrooms very grimy. Having to shower ankle deep in other people's shampooey water was a bit grim. It was very noisy despite the 11 pm "no noise" policy and unfortunately I found that whilst my room was well air-conditioned and the bed was good, there were bugs in the linen. Well, at least it was cheap...

Room Tip: Avoid schoolies week if you want some shut eye.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I went there earlyer this year, it was the most rudest place, the staff where horrible and not friendly at all, very rude, walking down halls, don't even get a greeting. My partner and i went there for soundwave music featival. It was very hot that week, the whole place stunk like old dogs, the rooms stunk so bad, had litterly a fan and the small window, the bed frame broke and was already taped up with duct tape.
Very disrimative agaisnt my partner thinking she was a man,on three situations, the venue had kitchens with unsanitary utensils for cooking, everything was ruined and was a massive issue where you can cook your meals, the washing machine never work, four people on our floor had there clothes ruined from the machine staining with the soap, a young boy got bottled in the foyer and we couldnt get to our room after a long day, after 2 hours. We no longer felt safe, we would if rather going down spending 60 more dollars to the 4 star vibe apartment hotels. Ruined our time away, would not think about going there again, and a run down for money, they make it look so well presented on the internet but when you get there it is conpletely different

• Stayed February 2013

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We only stayed 2nights, it was a very run down building! Not great compared to the other hostels I've stayed in in Sydney! It's located right in the cbd which is a big plus though! There was a lively crew in the hostel also which was refreshing !! Could be better

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Cearlbird
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Firstly. I hope there is never a fire at this place, it is impossible to get out bar one small staircase (no lift- so you have to carry your bags up all the stairs and negotiate others coming down). It was more like a prison, a small (dirty sheeted) bed, stained walls, no ventilation in our room and it REEKED. The lock on our door didn't work and too bad if you wanted to go to the toilet or have a shower- our bathroom was flooded ankle deep from a tap which would not turn off (and no one came to fix it) and there was no hot water for any of the time I was staying there. It is not fit to provide a place to stay. Also bags left at reception were not locked up or monitored, and many people reported things going missing or bags being messed around in while we stayed. We had actually planned a 2 night stay but I did not even sleep on the first night so we left and paid for another backpacker just down the road (cheaper AND closer to the train station).Aside from all of this, its in a bad part of Sydney. Save some money, sleep at the train station- it's likely safer and cleaner.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wanderluster91
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

This sqaulid tenement is not fit to provide lodgings. My prison cell of a room, conatining a bed only, was located above an Asian live music venue, however at least the music till 3am drowned out the sound of my lock being picked. I paid $80 for one night in a dirty, dilapidated building in the worst area of the Sydney CBD. At least receptionist was nice. Travelers beware.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This place is so confusing. I guess the name explains. I got lost many times trying to find my room/shower toilets. Needs more signage. But it was clean, not noisy and service was acceptable. I just guess that yha is ahead of the game and that extra $5 is worth it. I would stay again if all yha were full but no other time.

• Stayed October 2013