“Maze Memories”
Review of Maze Backpackers

Maze Backpackers
Ranked #29 of 143 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed 5 January 2014

well now... I spent four nights in a single room which was advertised on web as a special offer at 50 aus dollars per night (200dllrs total) in December 2013; upon leaving hostel I noticed their brochure in which it advertised single rooms in high season for 45 aus dollars per night?? go figure!!! however, most irritating problem was the unwelcome Maze memories, mainly from bedbug bites, which I got a reaction to; it cost me 75 aus dollars to see doctor and 45 aus dollars for tablets and hormnone based cream to treat them! (I have several photos of said bites and one of a tiny red bug walking along sheet!!! I reported said bites to staff member on desk duty the morning I checked-out. I also thought it strange that you are only required to bring your pillow-case to desk on checking-out, I now know why, taking the sheet off could leave you with nightmares aswell as bites!!! Also, although the staff working on the desk where helpful and freindly, there was an incident when one male staff member used aggressive behaviour to push two individuals out the front door, one of whom was staying in hostel, although the two individulas had some beers taken, they weren't behaving in a threatening manner, and the staff member lost the plot and dealt with it in the wrong way, his female colleague had to try restrain him and get him to calm down. When I returned to Melbourne, I spent days over Christmas applying cream:(

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank PatrickBenignus
There are newer reviews for Maze Backpackers

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We actually were very surprised to like this place despite the awful reviews on tripadvisor. It's very well organised, clean and people respect each other (no loud noise after 10pm). The hostel was full when we stayed there and there are so many rooms, it's very impressive. Our room with 2 beds (one over the other) was the smallest I've ever seen but we had clean sheets and a window facing the street.
It's very central to many bars and restaurants. The bathrooms and toilets were clean.

I recommend this hostel.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a window facing the street to get fresh air (not all have one)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2013

We arrived in Sydney with no where to stay and despite being told not to stay in Maze because it was "disgusting" we had no choice as everywhere else was booked up and obviously this made us very anxious about what to expect. The guys on reception were really friendly and went out of their way to accommodate us for our last week in Sydney. They booked us into 2 double rooms, which were very basic but they were clean. And anyway, we were in Australia; we wasn't planning on spending much time in our room!! There were laundry rooms on each floor, expensive to use at $4 for the washers and another $4 for the dryers but they're there if you need them. On the first floor there's a good size communal kitchen, with a wash room and fridge rooms. The kitchen is well equipped but check the pots before you use them as some peoples washing up skills were extremely poor. Also, watch your food in the fridges, you have to label your bags but that doesn't stop people going through them and helping their self to your food!! The reception staff provide you with a welcome pack when you arrive and it has lots of decent free drink tickets and food offers in and at good bars so if you're skint they're really helpful! After 2 nights we moved into a 2 bed dorm, which again was very basic but did the job! The toilets were pretty basic but was always clean - every morning and night there was a staff member cleaning them. Same with the kitchen. Stayed here for 8 nights and every day there was a member of staff hoovering the carpets and cleaning the mirrors in the corridors. Booked a trip to the Blue Mountains through reception which went smoothly and had a fantastic day!

At the end of the day you get what you pay for and everyone's experience/opinion is different but this hostel is far from "disgusting" as we were first told. It's a basic, clean, friendly and well equipped hostel and I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nat D
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I had booked to stay here for 4 nights in November. To make it quick, the reception area looked like it was a cool place, lots of young people our age around. We had booked a private double room... We got into the room, it was very basic. Bed was falling apart, holes in the bed linen and curtains, and DIRTY tissues and beer bottle lids were under the bed from the last people who stayed there. There was also a rotten plank of wood under the bed too, i have no idea why!! The toilets were so disgusting that I don't want to write what they were like on here but take my word for it, I wouldn't put my dog in there. Staff were rude and unhelpful. Had to wait for 2 hours to speak to the manager, who was helpful and did give me a full refund. Avoid this place at all costs!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MOC90
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I think the best thing about Maze is its location- Chinatown and lots of good eating places just around the corner. The 24 hour check-in was great as my plane was very delayed and didn't get to Sydney until nearly midnight. However I found the building itself to be very run down and the bathrooms very grimy. Having to shower ankle deep in other people's shampooey water was a bit grim. It was very noisy despite the 11 pm "no noise" policy and unfortunately I found that whilst my room was well air-conditioned and the bed was good, there were bugs in the linen. Well, at least it was cheap...

Room Tip: Avoid schoolies week if you want some shut eye.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 November 2013

I went there earlyer this year, it was the most rudest place, the staff where horrible and not friendly at all, very rude, walking down halls, don't even get a greeting. My partner and i went there for soundwave music featival. It was very hot that week, the whole place stunk like old dogs, the rooms stunk so bad, had litterly a fan and the small window, the bed frame broke and was already taped up with duct tape.
Very disrimative agaisnt my partner thinking she was a man,on three situations, the venue had kitchens with unsanitary utensils for cooking, everything was ruined and was a massive issue where you can cook your meals, the washing machine never work, four people on our floor had there clothes ruined from the machine staining with the soap, a young boy got bottled in the foyer and we couldnt get to our room after a long day, after 2 hours. We no longer felt safe, we would if rather going down spending 60 more dollars to the 4 star vibe apartment hotels. Ruined our time away, would not think about going there again, and a run down for money, they make it look so well presented on the internet but when you get there it is conpletely different

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We only stayed 2nights, it was a very run down building! Not great compared to the other hostels I've stayed in in Sydney! It's located right in the cbd which is a big plus though! There was a lively crew in the hostel also which was refreshing !! Could be better

• Stayed: August 2013