The Mercantile Hotel
Adina Apartment Hotel Sydney Darling Harbour(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$129
US$279
  • Restaurant
The Urban Newtown(Newtown)(Great Value!)
US$82
Macleay Hotel(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$128
US$108
  • Free Internet
Cambridge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$97
US$76
US$295
US$262
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Pitt Street, Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$133
  • Pool
All reviewsirish pubrocks marketshared bathrooms were cleanchicken schnitzelcircular quayguinness pieweekend marketrocks areagreat locationheavy suitcasesprivate bathroomrooms are basicopera housesydney bridgebreakfast was includedsingle roomgeorge street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 February 2012

It is hard to know where to start with this hotel. Perhaps I could overlook the 5 toenails I found on the floor throughout our stay, the fact our beds were only made about twice during the 8 horrible days we stayed there and the pounding music until midnight, if it wasn't for the way we were treated by the staff. I am a 22 year old backpacker and had spent the year staying in $20-a-night hostels, and never have I been treated like we were here!

We asked the woman in charge, Yvonne, if we could please change rooms as my bed was completely broken - she said, "Jesus! Give me a break!" sighed and showed us a different room but said "You can move now or not at all girls I can't move you again after this. She's just a baby anyway she can sleep anywhere!" So, naturally, we decided to stay where we were, and the solution was to turn the bed on it's side and I slept for the week on a mattress on the floor!

Unbelievable. At the end of our stay we simply left the keys in the room and left so we didn't have to talk to her again!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
7  Thank happycamper8945
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Stayed here again in December 2011. Still a no frills hotel in the Rocks area. Considering the great location, I doubt you would be able to find accomodation offering better value for money than the Mercantile.
Don't expect a reception, lifts or porters, but you can expect some of the friendliest staff in Sydney, from the excellent bar manager, to the head doorman, both of whom offer a warm welcome.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Called in here again, great Irish pub @ The Rocks. Busy, live music and good pub food. Great way to spend late afternoon on a wintery Saturday.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 28 February 2011

Horrible. Above a pub, hunt down the bartender to check in-no front desk. LUg your bags up three floor walkup - no bellhop. No phone, no adapter, no hand towels or face towels, just two towels someone probably used to wash their car, filthy rug, dusty headboard, scuzzy, stained bedspread, T.V. From the 1980's, dirty wall. I won't go on anymore other than to say the location is great, but I was horrified we had to sleep there!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Claire914
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Travelling on your own in Australia is not easy, the reason being that very few hotels have single rooms. This means you always have to pay for a double room (or an apartment for 2 adults and 4 kids) , i.e. you pay at least twice the price all the time (unless you want to sleep in a dorm of course). One exception is the Mercantile Hotel in Sydney! I could not believe my eyes when they said they actually had a single room!! For only 80 AUS$ including breakfast! This is less than I paid anywhere else during my 3 week trip to Australia. OK, my room was very simple and the view was towards the street. And I shared bathrooms with the other hotel guests. This was not a problem, however, since there were four bathrooms and very few guests. And sometimes I had to use ear plugs because the music in the pub downstairs was too loud for me to fall asleep. But all in all, this was the best place I stayed. Nice to get back to the hotel late at night, to the pub full of people and live music. And the restaurant served great food! If I ever come to Sydney again, I will stay here.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo