“In the Midst of the Hustle and Bustle of the Rocks Area”

The Mercantile Hotel
Ranked #107 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Sydney, Australia
“In the Midst of the Hustle and Bustle of the Rocks Area”
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We really enjoyed our stay here over the long weekend & Vivid Festival.
We had a basic, but comfortable & clean room. The shared bathrooms were well & often cleaned. The staff were friendly and helpful, and also gave us a simple but very good breakfast of bacon, eggs and toast in the morning. (I think this is served weekends only)
Our room on the second floor was not noisy at all considering all the activity in the bar below, the market being packed up early in the morning was perhaps the most noisy thing.
It was wonderful having the open market just outside. Plenty of quality Australian products to be found there.
We enjoyed being in the midst of all the weekend hustle and bustle of the Rocks area, and within a short walking distance to Sydney's main attractions.

Room Tip: If street / pub noise bothers you, stay on the second floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank VivienneSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
melbourne
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I wasn't expecting much from this place, being so cheap, but I'm really disappointed. Holidays are meant to be relaxing, but in the two days I stayed at the Mercantile I managed less than 7 hours sleep in total.

The place is clean and comfortable enough, but the noise is ridiculous!

You pay more to be here on the weekend, but that's when you get less sleep because the music is thumping through the floors until after 1am.

The insulation is terrible. If you do manage to get to sleep you get woken up by the street sweepers, traffic and people outside at least every hour.

Don't expect much from the included breakfast either - cereal or toast are your options.

The location is great, the bed is comfortable and the place is clean enough, but because of the noise I could never stay here again. My partner is a very heavy sleeper and even he barely slept here.

Unless you've got some strong sleeping pills, AVOID!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank staceym24
MercSydney, General Manager at The Mercantile Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
HI Stacey,
Sorry to hear your comments, unfortunately your stay was in the middle of the very popular vivid light festival and just before a long weekend so activity in the area was a lot more, combined with current works on the Harbour Bridge this is a flaw for being in The heart of The Rocks. We are pub accommodation and we advertise live music which we do have on Friday & Saturdays till 00.45 and 23.45 on Sunday nights.
With regards to breakfast - $100 for 2 people in The Rocks area including a continental breakfast is a very good deal. Our continental breakfast midweek is cereal, toast, danishes, mini muffins, banana's, apples, tea/coffee and OJ, not just a choice of toast or cereal!!
Regards,
The Merc Team.

Travellers are raving about these Sydney hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Really nice Irish restaurant and bar. The food there was lovely and not too expensive for Sydney. Great band on the Sunday I was there, great craic and good Guinness.
Its in a lovely location, is very clean and staff are friendly.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank TippElle13
Ormea, Italy
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed in a single room for a night for less than $80. It was a little room with a bed flat screen and fan. I have paid 6 times that in Rome for almost similar. Shared spotless bathrooms always clean and they are refurbished. I ordered grilled chicken with chorizo sausage salad which was good. My room was above this Irish pub in the Rocks everything at your door step. Their only complaint with me was I asked for a dash of lemonade with my pint of guinness. Its just a pub room and its good value but if your after the usual 3 to 4 star go elswhere.

• Stayed February 2014
Chorley
Reviewed 27 December 2013

If you want good old fashioned food, great beer and a place to watch to world go by then look no further than the Mercantile.
After a walk round Circular Quay, some where that needs no explanation, we went to the Rocks and found this Oasis, we sat outside had several beers, an exceptional lunch with some good friends. The range of beers is very good in keeping with the Irish flavour there are Kilkenny, Guinness, and a large range of Lagers from Europe and of course local beers.
As a bonus there was a open air market with the usual range of tourist tat, and the odd bargain, watching people of every race under the sun walk by while enjoying a beer and lunch is always a pleasure. The price might seem pretty steep by UK standards, it is relativity cheap in Sydney and of course there is no fuss and no need to book.

Room Tip: As I didn't stay here I can offer no opinion on any rooms.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank glenrobbo
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

Nice and relaxing atmosphere, great for a cold beer to chill out with, might be a little pricey but then again it is Sydney after all. Location is just perfect, but experience it for yourself and be your own judge.

• Stayed December 2013
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My partner and I booked a One night stay here before going to new zealand. I knew we were getting a budget room so my expectations were low. However we were horrified on how we were first greeted by a man handing us room keys with no welcome or even talking to us. When we got into our room the bed sheets were soiled and the room smelt. The power points had been pulled out of the wall and thge shared bathroom was filthy. Very upsetting that such a low level of service was given and the lack of clenliness

Do not stay here!!

Room Tip: Bring own bedding
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Jessimuss C
MercSydney, General Manager at The Mercantile Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Hi Jess,
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at The Mercantile, but i'm a little surprised by your comments also.
Our hotel is known for its friendly staff so i apologise if you did not have a good experience on check in.
Our bed linen is changed daily for new check in's and our linen is from an outsourced company which is why i find it hard to believe that the linen was soiled!! Did you not complain to the manager on duty regarding this matter? I have also walked into all our bedrooms and could not find any power points that were "pulled out of the wall"
I also can't believe you thought our shared bathrooms were "filthy" because if you have a look on Wot If our hotel is highly regarding for being friendly, great price for a great location and very clean, especially our shared bathroom rooms.
Again i apologise that you did not enjoy your hotel experience.
Kind Regards.