“Terrible slow service and rude female maitre de - food good”
Review of JPB Restaurant

JPB Restaurant
Ranked #830 of 6,385 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Central Business District
Reviewed 13 April 2014

What is with this place - four of us went for dinner last night . Two of us got served with their bottle of wine almost immediately. The other two were waiting for almost 40 minutes for the other bottle of wine to arrive. One would imagine they were searching high and low for a bottle shop in the suburbs to find what i wanted. Mind you i had ensured that they had the wine i wanted more than two weeks ago and it was also written on the reservation. What do you call that for service , i would think unacceptable.

The female maitre de was extremely short with us to the point of almost being rude - again what is with the staff there . The only redeeming staff member - Luca was obliging and sweet and tried to curb our impatience at two of us waiting almost 40 minutes for our drinks .

The other redeeming feature was the excellent mushroom risotto ( which i am sure had truffle through it - yum ) and the slow cooked beef cheeks on polenta which were gorgeous - so hats off to the chef for those . The starter was un appetising - one prawn on a plate with one salad leaf about 2 inches big - hmmm whats that all about ?

Deserts were ok - and impressed the others on the table - chocolate chocolate and more chocolate presented well though - it's too bad i dont especially like chocolate.
Would i go back again ? maybe - if the staff are more attentive perhaps -a new more humble maitre de would be great

its all about the dining experience - but we had a nice time despite the drinks coming so late.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

Arrived at JPB at 6.40pm for dinner, told staff we had to be at the State Theatre across the road for a show starting at 8pm and asked if the timing is possible. Was told the early bird 2 course meal will take 35 mins. There were only 4 other tables occupied in the restaurant. After seated at table again told 2 other wait staff of our time restriction and again told we would be out in 35 mins. By 7.40pm our meals still hadn't arrived and chased them up again. Our meals finally arrived at 7.50pm but our sides didn't arrive. We literally had two minutes to throw our meals down. Tables that arrived after us were served and gone before us. We were offered water to drink but had to chase that down. We asked for our wine glasses to be topped up but they were topped up with a completely different wine. POOR service with no excuse and no apology. Food was ok but bland and tasteless. A very disappointing experience.
Don't bother, spend your money elsewhere

1  Thank Lou036
Reviewed 12 October 2013

Resturant is Comfortable with a nice ambiance and not too noisy.
Barramundi was really well cooked and apple tart was delicious.

Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

Limited menu, which I don't mind. Food nicely presented and fresh. However the waiters are terrible. There were 5 waiters on the floor and only 5 tables occupied, however the waiters could not manage to handle the "crowd". One of the waiters said to us: I wouldn't choose this desert from the menu...- who does that?!

Reviewed 18 January 2013

I dined at jpb twice on a recent trip to Sydney, once by myself and the second time with a companion. I was talked into trying it by the hotel front desk staff and I was glad they had. They told me that the ingredients were sourced from local farms so everything was fresh and high quality. They also mentioned a $25 main course price tag, which was perfect for someone travelling on a daily spend maximum.

I ordered the chicken both times, not something i would normally do. It was served with mushrooms and green and yellow beans and was tasty enough to order twice. I also really appreciated that it contained a good serve of healthy vegetables. The first time the chicken served was piping hot and just a touch dry. It needed to rest a bit before being brought to the table. The second time it was just about perfect. In both cases the skin has been salted and heated to a crisp chicken skin crust - delicious, if salty.

My companion ordered the scotch fillet and was pleased at how tender and tasty it was, even though it came out closer to rare than the medium he requested. The bearnaise sauce had a single fleck of tarragon (the only one he spotted) and lacked flavour.

In terms of starters his duck confit was served in a single pancake that made it look like a Peking duck. My companion pronounced it delicious but was a bit baffled by the beets that were served with it as he felt the flavours didn't match well.

I had a goats cheese starter, with the goats cheesed served like a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It was served with beets and a smear of honey and was delicious. In that case the flavours did marry well together. It would have been greatly improved by the addition of lavosh or some other crisp bread.

The prawn cocktail was supposedly infused with pernod, but I was unable to detect any aniseed flavour. It was more like a big, wet, flavourless prawn salad than anything else and was too large a portion, when compared to the size of the other starters. I had to add salt to give a flavour kick.

The freshly cut spelt bread was doughy and cakey and not pleasant. the only edible part was the crust.

Mixing the salt and pepper in a little bowl at the table so you can't pick one without the other - big thumbs down on that one, too.

So for food 7 out of 10, could reach an 8 or 9 with just a bit more effort.

Now to the service. The poor service at meal number two was a disappointment. I swear I saw our server working as a bell hop the day before, and it showed.

He was overly chatty with poor English and we felt embarrassed at having to asking him to repeat things three times.

He asked us what kind of whiskey my companion wanted in his scotch and dry. Really?

Did we want our water glasses re-filled? Shut up and fill them, already.

There seemed to be a competition going on between our server and another about who was going to look after us. My companion picked up on a sense of tension between the two of them, perhaps because the restaurant was close to empty and they needed something to do.

The issues we had were all minor, really, but it's a shame to see a restaurant with such a good concept fall just short of the mark. I would go again and hope that they've sorted out these minor issues by then.