Abey Hotel
Radisson Blu Plaza Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$162
US$193
US$260
US$175
  • Pool
Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$207
US$170
  • Pool
Meriton Suites Kent Street, Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$156
  • Pool
The Grace Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$167
US$152
US$207
US$198
  • Restaurant
Cambridge Hotel Sydney(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$99
US$92
  • Pool
Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour(Sydney)(Great Value!)
US$209
US$136
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscambridge hotelsurry hillsindoor pooldouble double roombudget hotelgreat locationthe wi fifront desk staffevery morningwould stay againwalking distancestayed nightsan easy walkcentral stationbuffet breakfastpoolsidebath
Reviewed 19 November 2012

stayed here for one night before going to coldplay concert. 2 double beds turned out to be one in a room and a sofa bed that sank dreadfully in the middle and the pillows were soft and probably past their useful time. no water in fridge, order for room service seemed too much for reception to cope with. room was directly above entrance to hotel and as such was extremely noisy, even with doors shut and curtains drawn, curtain in bedroom doesnt cover end of window so light shone in there all night. some of the reception staff were extremely arrogant and condescending. car park was an absolute nightmare - hard to navigate around in such tight circumstances and dont bother trying to park in there if you have a large car, our small sedan struggled to get around in there and to find a suitable parking spot to fit into.

Room Tip: perhaps try the "cambridge" part of the complex - abey the poor relation!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kerrie Y
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2012

Dear Kerrie Y,

Thank you for your recent stay at the Cambridge Hotel and for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm sorry to learn that your experience with us did not meet your expectations.

All the issues you experienced have been investigated, and measures have been taken to make good use of your feedback. All department heads, including the housekeeping manager, the maintenance manager, front desk manager have been involved in this process.

I am pleased to inform you that next week, there will be a compulsory full day staff training where many issues will be touched upon. Over the past few months all staff have made extra efforts to exceed guest expectations in the process of refurbishment, and we are now excited to be able to open up a new hotel and a new restaurant and the retraining and motivation is key to accomplishing this goal.

I do hope that this isolated experience will not prevent you from visiting us again so that we may reinstate the hotel back to your good favour and demonstrate the warm welcome and exceptional facilities the Hotel is known for.

I hope you give us an opportunity to be of service to you again.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

This hotel is having an identity crisis! Abey Hotel and Cambridge Hotel occupy the same building, use the same reception and share all the same services. It appears that the only difference is the Abey rooms are a slightly lower standard? I am not sure, I am still confused by the (seemingly unnecessary) different branding. The marketing of this property is also confusing.

We were in an "Abey Tower" room. Not much of a tower, considering the Abey rooms only occupy floors 1-3 of the building. Confusion aside, we were on the first floor with a great balcony (thanks to reservations for kindly fulfilling that request). The room was very spacious with a sofabed in the lounge and separate bedroom with queen bed. Great air con. Small flat screen TV's in both rooms. The room was renovated, and the bathroom and shower were great.

Funky lighting in the lift was a nice quirk. We were facing Riley street, but I cant complain about the noise. Quiet, despite it being a Saturday night. This area is just off Oxford street, but I guess the Police Headquarters across the road means that wild behaviour late at night is at a minimum.

Service was very good - needed to call on concierge twice (once for glasses and once for pillows) and both times service was swift and friendly. Check in and check out were hassle free and quick. It looked like they have a self service check in machine as well, although I preferred to do it the old fashioned way.

The room was large so I guess this goes some way to justifying the cost. Although at $250 for the night (booked a few months in advance), I don't really consider it great value.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Brocko25

Dear Brocko25,
Thank you for your recent stay at the Hotel, and I would also like to thank you very much for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and enjoyed the service, your spacious room, balcony and overall hotel facilities.
I appreciate your feedback regarding the Abey and Cambridge Hotels, and we are working heavily on the branding. The two different categories of accommodation were implemented as a solution to guests’ wishes and demands. We are aware of the temporary confusion involved in the separation and rebranding, and I would like to thank you for bringing this to our attention.
I would like to thank you for your comments regarding value for money, we always take this very seriously and take it into consideration when readjusting the pricing.
Once again, thank you for your feedback – it has been very helpful, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again.

Reviewed 25 October 2012

Although self-rated as only a 3.5 star hotel, I felt that the marketing for the Abey created an expectation of something more than it was.

We booked a fully renovated Tower Twin Double, with flat screen LCD TV and top of the line bedding. I guess a flat screen LCD could look like a clunky older style TV but the images on web sites showed modern, slim, wall mounted TVs.

The expectation was that a Tower wouldn’t be a dungeon. The only image I found of the exterior was of a 14-storey building. We were put on Level One, in Room 100. It was at the end of a long corridor, adjoining the cleaner’s room and opposite the pool filter. The room was dark and depressing, not ‘bright and cheerful’ as described in the advertising. We pulled up the blind to find the wall of another building right next to us, so immediately pulled the blind back down and left it that way. I think the top 11 floors must be the Cambridge - be aware of images.

We needed an early evening rest but found the noise of the pool filter and the continual running of the air conditioning in the bathroom very distracting. The cleaners did not start work until 8.00 am so that was a bonus but it sounded as though a washing machine was going all day, it may have been the pool filter.

I checked the mattresses when we arrived as I thought I had read they had Cloud 9 mattresses. I mentioned this when checking in and got no reply to my question, they were training a new staff member. The mattress looked fairly average but felt comfortable so I didn’t say any more but it wasn’t what I expected a ‘cloud’ to feel like.

I had an okay first night’s sleep but I felt that the springs were digging into me a bit much for a room that had just had a soft refurbishment, so I checked the mattress again, and it was upside down. The padded top was on the bottom. When I told the male duty manager, he said that I had booked an ‘Abey’ room and that the Cloud 9 beds were in the Cambridge Rooms, like I was supposed to know I’d only booked cheap accommodation. My only cost comparison was a similar room at the Sebel so I figured the Abey would be okay as it cost more. I have stayed in backpacker accommodation that was more cheerful and better presented than our room in the Abey.

The duty manager questioned me about the upside down mattress as if it couldn’t happen. When the friendly maintenance person came to check the mattress, he found that the mattress was, indeed, upside down and turned it for me. Once it was turned, we found it was a brand new Sleepmaker mattress that was comfortable. My travelling companion had a Sleephead which she found comfortable.

Because we paid a $200 deposit and had heard the check in clerk tell someone that they might not get it back for a week or more unless they paid cash, I checked out the room for damage. The window sill had a deep break in the wood where someone had stood or sat on it, the door stop was coming off the wall and the bathroom door was covered in filthy fingermarks. When I reported these things, I was looked at in an accusatory way that implied that I may have caused the damage myself. Also, the hairdryer stopped all the time when used on long hair for a reasonable length of time.

The same friendly maintenance person replaced the hairdryer without complaint and the bathroom door was cleaned. He acknowledged the broken window sill as a known issue.

There was tea, coffee and milk. Finding a socket to plug the electric jug in was difficult as there was nothing to sit the jug on near the sockets. I initially sat it on the couch but spilt the water into my suitcase. Ended up plugging it into the bathroom socket but not much room to do so once all the toiletries were out. There were two beaten up stainless steel rubbish bins that had seen better days but obviously didn’t fit into the ‘soft’ category when the ‘trendy’ renovation was done. I didn’t see a mini-bar, although the room was promoted as having one.

The bathroom renovation involved a coat of paint on almost every surface in the bathroom - bath, walls, tiles, floors, basin – if it didn’t move, it appeared to be painted. The paint was lifting off the tiled floors and made the room look tacky. There was grubby sealant in places around the bath. Overall, the bathroom was dated and the paint job didn’t do much to enhance it. The only images on the web of the basins, were of the nice new long line basins with exposed bottle traps, not the reality of dated fixtures.

Positive things: The hotel is close to shops and public transport. Apart from the aforementioned Duty Manager, the staff, most who seemed to be Eastern European, were very friendly and helpful. The full buffet breakfast was extremely good value. The beds (when mattresses up the right way) were very comfortable for a budget hotel and there was plenty of hot water for showers.

The most depressing part was being in a dark room that felt like a dungeon. The lack of light and view in the Abey room was so far departed from the expectation, that it came as a real shock. A mixed message that needs addressing.

I think I found the Abey on the Cambridge Hotel web site. The Cambridge and the Abey are in the same building. The Cambridge and the Abey have the same furnishings. The Cambridge has a 'Like the Abey Hotel on Facebook' badge on its home page - another confusing marketing message.

I worked out that the Abey was the budget end of the Cambridge and I was okay with that but I expected something bright and cheerful and was shocked by the dark depressing room. I didn’t think AUD269-AUD299 a night wasn't all that cheap and I could have paid less for similar if I had known that the Abey was far more budget than the marketing indicated.

The 2% surcharge for paying by credit card was advertised but it does add to the overall cost of budget accommodation.

Check your exchange rate if they offer you to pay in your local currency. We think our rate was very high at AUD.76:1 when the rate for the weekend was around AUD.80:1

Room Tip: If you just want a room and don't care about light, day time noise, or view then Abey is economical and comfortable, otherwise ring first and clarify what room you will get.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ColleenKing_ab
AbeySydney, Assistant General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2012

Dear ColeenKing_ab,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us a feedback of your recent stay. We are very grateful of client feedback in any instance.
I do apologise that we were not able to meet your expectation with your stay and if it caused any confusion.
Thank you for taking my call and I hope I was able to explain the issues raised. The TV's now have been replaced with LED TV's, We have also added extra lighting to the room. I am happy to hear that you felt comfortable in the beds that were in the room.
We have just rebranded the 1st 3 floors of the Cambridge Hotel as an Abey Hotel thus this may have caused some confusion. We are continually trying to keep the branding separate from the Cambridge Hotel. Additionally all staff members have been retrained in distinguishing the different brand.
As per our phone conversation all maintenance issues have been resolved. Thank you for the positive notes about our location and especially our staff member.
Sydney at the moment is very busy and rates are marginally higher than the winter period.
Credit card surcharge and a $200.00 cash bond is a standard hotel practice that is undertaken by many hotels. I hope this was not too much of a inconvenience to you.
ColeenKing_ab, we do take pride in our product and service offering and will always listen to our guest. As per our conversation we have taken many steps so this does not recur again in the future to our valued guest.
Please contact me 9215 5101 or by email subhuj@cambridgehotel.com.au if I can be of any further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Subhuj Pradhan

Assistant General Manager

Cambridge Hotel Sydney

Reviewed 17 October 2012

i stayed for about 3 nights. was given a room near the pool which had a strong CHLORINE SMELL ALL OVER. rooms are average, indain staff is warm and friendly, breakfast is $18 i think , i had mine at opera house for $5, the location is good as u can walk till chinatown in 20 minutes.
tv in room is very small. lot of commotion at night as voices echo thru paper thin walls. they demand $200 damage deposit which i think is not neccessary and can be charged on card if they steal or break something.

not at all value for money. i would prefer paying little extra and get into INTO A BETTER BRANDED HOTEL if I ever go to Australia again.

Room Tip: not worth more than $100 a night max,
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
AbeySydney, General Manager at Abey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Dear tullyjs,
Thank you very much for taking you time to share your feedback with us regarding you recent stay at the Abey Hotel.
I am disappointed to hear that your stay with us did not live up to your expectations.
In regards to the breakfast full breakfast buffet, we have a fixed $14 rate, which is a competitive rate for Sydney. Surry Hills is famous for its many great restaurants nearby, and I am glad you emjoyed the location.
The hotel policy is $200 deposit for cash paying guests, I apologise if this was not informed upon booking. The Abey has rooms around the pool area and rooms in the tower, I believe that a room in the tower would have been better suited for you, and I hope that you will give the hotel a second chanve to provide the service and standards for which we are known for.
I appreciate your time to share your review and I hope that your experience at the hotel will not deter you from coming back.
We hope to be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

We booked the Abey because we are a family of four , looking to spend quality family time together whilst enjoying the sights of Sydney. What we wanted were clean rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff and affordable accomodation. The Abey was the perfect venue.
We booked a four night stay, from Sunday to Thursday and were quite impressed with the value equation, including carparking, and breakfast..
The kids were well entertained by the swimming pool and spa, the staff were helpful with directions and recommendations, and room service during the night was swift, and the porters were most helpful with the mountain of bags that we were carrying.
I recommend this hotel to other people travelling as a good deal in what is a very expensive city, Sydney. It certainly provided all the things a hotel should for a family vacation.

Room Tip: The rates seem to be much more affordable during the weekdays. With the restaurants, clubs and boutique shopping in the vicinity, I expect the hotel experiences strong demand on the weekends.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank david o

Dear David O,
Thank you very much for your recent stay at the Abey Hotel, and thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us.
I am very pleased to hear that you had a good experience with us and that the hotel lived up to your expectations.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed quality family time whilst staying with us.
Once again, thank you for your lovely comments which have also been passed onto the rest of the staff members.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Warm regards,