“Great location, stunning interior, fantastic staff”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 186 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 7 March 2014

Arrived late in Sydney on a first-time solo business/tourist visit and came following great directions by the staff via e-mail from the airport by shuttle bus. The staff who welcomed be were extremely friendly and smiley and I got my room asap. I'd booked the shoebox which is greatly designed but admittedly small and without a window but into the interior of the hotel. Beware if you'll be spending time in your room. I wasn't, though, so it was not a challenge. The room has everything inside including a fantastic rain shower and deliciously smelling products, also the mini bar is well stocked. As I hadn't had any dinner and was traveling solo, I decided to get a nibble and glass of wine at the bar. I had the bruschetta, which was good, and a good quality glass of wine, but the menu list is very limited and a little pricey for what it offers. I'm not giving the hotel an excellent rating because of the very small points I mentioned above but, overall I greatly recommend! If you are coming to Sydney, want that special something away from home and don't have the budget for the greats in the CBD, come to the 1888. I definitely will!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank travellingbookworm
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 10 March 2014

Dear Travelling Bookworm,

Thank you for your great review and your kind comments about the team.

We were pleased that you enjoyed all the features of the shoebox room and appreciated the room as being ideal for a solo traveller. I understand your comments about the evening food service and I have good news, by the end of April we will be introducing a full dinner service. So on your next stay you should hopefully score us 100%!

Andrew Adams-Smith

Write a ReviewReviews (2,310)

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Working in hotels myself and particularly working within a 5-star setting I had high expectations for my stay, all of which were exceeded.
The hotel itself is amazingly designed. I stayed in a king deluxe room. It was very spacious, clean, and well kept. I love the simplicity and attention to detail. The bathrooms were amazing and we definitely enjoyed the bath. All the employees were helpful and pleasant and were great to be around. We enjoyed drinks from the bar which were well made and presented.

The only issue I had was the lack of laundry services available. I felt the dry cleaning services were a bit expensive. But over all was my own fault for not packing enough, so perhaps not an issue and more of a suggestion.
All in all I would not hesitate to stay again and to recommend it to my friends.
In all seriousness if they were hiring I would even apply as the atmosphere was so enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2014
1  Thank tmlong1
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear tmlong,

It was wonderful to read your review, thank you for your kind words about the great property design, amazing attention to detail and fantastic staff.

After the rave reviews about breakfast and the bar service we will soon introduce dinner in The Eatery... so come back soon so we can spoil you more!

Reviewed 5 March 2014

The location of this hotel is brilliant, with Darling Harbour pretty much on your door step with all the cafes, restaurants, bars, ferries and Sydney Aquarium.

Our room was a good size, clean, comfortable and with good in-room facilities.

Staff were great, very helpful and friendly. They were always on hand to offer advice and give you directions. We arrived early for our check-in so our room wasn't ready but they looked after our suitcases so we could start to explore Sydney and even let us refresh from our flight with a shower.

The only downsides were that our room had no window to the outside, which felt a little surreal and made judging what to wear and take for the day a little tricky, and for the majority of our stay we did not receive coffee for the room, when we ask reception they apologised and told us they had not had a delivery.

Overall though I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bethan C
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Bethan,

Thank you for your review and your great comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed the hotel, its location and the great team.

I am sorry that we did not provide coffee in your room for the majority of your stay, I understand how inconvenient that would be and I will work on a solution if the situation reoccurs.

We would love to see you again, when you rebook you are welcome to contact me directly and I will ensure your room request location is noted.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Came here after my beloved Altamon another 8hotel establishment had shutdown in Darlinghurst....was my home away from home when in town for work. More expensive but still very cost effective for what you get. This is such a great hotel, has the best vibe, funky decor, lovely rooms and comfy beds. The in room ipad is a cool touch. The staff are all lovely and accommodating - even had one of the reception guys offer to make me a honey lemon tea because I was coming down with the flu, adorable! The food menu, though not absolutely extensive still yummy at a good price - fish tacos yummo. Wine too, great and well priced. I spent a few hours in the lobby/lounge area snacking and wining away while surfing the net and reading a magazine. Felt very comfy and at home. Just can't fault this hotel at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kris B

Dear Kris,

Its great to learn that you have found a new home away from home in Sydney! Thank you for the kind words. Your comment about the offer of honey lemon tea indicates the style of service we love to provide.

We look forward to welcoming you home!

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Lovely hotel in a central location; great friendly staff, very comfortable bed. Enjoyed the breakfast options and the cocktails in the evening. Old building has been tastefully renovated into a fashionable hotel.

1  Thank BobL63_62

Dear Bob,

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review!

We are pleased that you had a great stay. Come back soon, by the end of April we plan to offer dinner in addition to the breakfast and cocktails you enjoyed during your last stay.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

Friendly and helpful staff, good location, room (shoebox) as advertised, quite small but adequate for a city visit if you intend to spend most time out. Stayed 3 nights and would recommend. Good value.

1  Thank DavidGpang
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear David,

Thank you for your succinct and kind review. We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay and recommend us to others.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed for 5 nights. We picked this hotel because it was within a few blocks of a bus stop, ferry connection, and light rail. It is also convenient to good restaurants and shopping at Darling Harbour. The rates were very reasonable considering the great location.

We were getting on a cruise ship after our stay so we had a lot of luggage. We didn't want to manhandle the luggage from the train or bus stops, so we took a taxi from the Airport. It was $50 for the taxi, but we think it was well worth it.

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. We arrived in the early morning (about 8 AM) so our room wasn't ready. But they had a secure area where we could store our luggage while we took a couple of hours to walk around Darling Harbor. The hotel also has a shower facility that we could have used if we wanted to freshen up after the flight while we were waiting for our room to be prepared.

We had a King size room on the first floor at the front of the hotel. It was a little smaller than what we are used to, but we didn't spend a lot of time in the room, so it didn't really matter. The bed was very comfortable. We didn't have any issues with street noise.

1  Thank PaGoose3050
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear PaGoose,

Thank you for the great review! It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed the hotel, its convenient location and the wonderful staff.

Taking a taxi from the airport was a good tip, especially if there are a couple of people with luggage.

I hope you enjoyed your cruise and we look forward to seeing you again in this beautiful city.