“Awesome”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I would just like to say to anyone out there who is looking to visit Sydney that Hotel 1888 was wonderful! First of all the front desk staff (Jess in particular) were so upbeat and friendly and helpful. We had arrived from the states at 7:00am needless to stay tired and feeling grungy after over 20+ hours of traveling. Our room wasn't quite ready but Jess graciously offered us an area where we could shower and refresh before we hit the streets to explore.
The location of the hotel was perfect as well, only a few blocks from the Harbor walk and local restaurants.
The room was lovely, clean and very modern in style.

I'd give this hotel a 10+ !!

Elizabeth
Falmouth, Maine USA
4/28/2014-5/3/2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Elizabeth P
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hi Elizabeth,

What an awesome review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed some of our amazing Australian hospitality.

Thank you for your kind words about this stunning property, the lovely rooms and the outstanding team.

Maine is a long way away but we look forward to seeing you again so we can spoil you even more!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I found this hotel on the Mr & Mrs Smith website and booked for mid-week break. On a few occasions I emailed prior to the visit with queries and the staff were quick to respond and super helpful.

I loved the simple but really chic design of the room. In-room ipad. The bed was really really comfortable.

Only little niggle was that when I checked in my credit card was in my case and the receptionist would not let me up to my room until she had a swipe of it. I had to rummage through my case on the reception floor. She had my card details on booking, really think she should have said "pop down when you have found it madam"

Room Tip: didn't know it had a pool!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SharonConnolly
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Sharon,

Singapore has some amazing boutique hotels so I was very happy to see your great review for 1888 Hotel.

Thank you for your kind comments about the fantastic staff, the comfy beds, the design of the hotel and the extra touches provided.

Come back soon and enjoy free access to the Ian Aquatic centre with its pool, sun deck, saunas, steam rooms and state of the art gym!

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Went to the 1888 hotel for 3 nights after having read so many reviews on trip advisor. Yeah the decor is pretty cool (although not as quirky as the website would have you believe) and the staff are genuinely great. However I wouldn't say I was wowed.

We had the loft room and although having some stairs and exposed brickwork was a nice change from a standard hotel room that is pretty much where the differences ended. The lovely large window looked out onto the larger hotel across the road, and when we opened the double glazing that had been tacked on over the top (didn't look much like there was effort to keep with the theme) it would only open a quarter of the way. This wasn't a fault, it was designed to do this!

Got a great night's sleep in the king size bed, it was very cozy but not overly soft which was great.

The water pressure in the railhead shower was rather low, and seemed to spontaneously switch from hot to cold unprovoked which caused an interesting morning. The included shampoos etc were rather nice though.

The first morning we tried the buffet breakfast and although no tables were available we were able to eat on the couch in the lobby (worth noting I had contacted the hotel asking if a reservation was necessary for breakfast and they said it wasn't). There was a yummy selection of breads, some salami and ham, regular, Swiss and Camembert cheese, muffins, pastries, juices as well as some cereals which were all rather lovely and if you are hungry were a good feed for $21. Coffee was quick and nice too!

Room service is provided at no extra charge so we chose to do a hot breakfast in bed the next morning (it was my girlfriend's birthday and we thought a luxurious start to the day would be nice). I ordered the big breakfast and my girlfriend ordered the porridge with banana, we both ordered a coffee and juice. The breakfast arrived pretty soon later on a trolly with a lovely girl helping deliver it to the room, however when she left and I took the aluminium foil off the food it was barely above room temperature! My eggs had been cooked exactly as I'd asked so it was such a shame having them all cold and gross. Our Luke warm coffees also didn't have the sugar we had requested in them. Definitely a disappointing start to the day. Ended up having breakfast the next day at Cafe Morso on the Jones Bay Warf (10 minute walk away) and they made a lovely hot and smoky breakfast.

All in all it wasn't a bad stay (except for the breakfast) but I guess I was expecting something a little more different to the chain experience, maybe something quirkier with a bit more personality, but in the end it just felt like the slightly more rebellious younger brother of the average white-walled experience you can get a little cheaper elsewear. It's a shame, because I really did want to love it!

Room Tip: Expect small rooms, even at the pricier end. Great as a place to sleep but you won't want to han...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alex C

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your feedback - we appreciate the rave reviews as well as those with constructive feedback because we are always working to provide an even better experience for our guests.

Thank you for your wonderful words about breakfast on your first morning, I am sorry that room service breakfast on the second morning was not hot, I have some ideas on how to improve that so thank you.

It was wonderful to read that you felt the staff were genuinely great and you loved the comfy king sized bed in your quiet Loft room.

The Eatery and Bar is a great place to hang out, as you noticed it was full for breakfast. The guys make some great cocktails during happy hour and soon we will be serving dinner so come back soon!

Reviewed 17 May 2014

1888 Hotel = beautifully converted, originally a wool store. Blends the old with the new. I felt like I was in NYC. great bar and lounge setup. superb selection of well made cocktails, interesting wine list and a good old craft beer list - No VB, here hooray!
we had the loft apartment - well fitted out, everything you need, the best bed I have ever slept in!
Bar staff are excellent. Breakfast looked pretty special too. really good location and quiet with a licensed 7/11 2 doors away!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MustangNSW

Hi Mustang,

We are pleased you loved the loft, they are wonderfully unique spaces. We also love that you loved everything else we did!

Thank you for your great feedback and your outstanding rating.

We look forward to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

Im a Sydney-sider and spent the night here in a King room just to get away for the night. The team at front-desk are great (thank you Priscilla), the building is gorgeous and close to everything, the rooms are clean with some great details - simple but practical. I stayed on the third floor which was noisier than I had liked - the map on the website places it near the Star, Google maps has a more accurate position.....behind the Novotel and next to the freeway. The hotel will be amazing when night-time room service kicks in. Coffee is great!

I needed a quiet night in but was disappointed by the noise. The hotel is great, the staff are wonderful and it's centrally located. Rooms are super clean. Bed is super comfy. Thanks for having me x

Room Tip: The double glaze windows are awesome but there is still a bit of noise. Try coffee from the bar in...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear Netti,

Thank you for the perfect score for service, location, cleanliness and rooms! I loved how you choose us for your home town getaway.

Your kind comments about the team and the property were most appreciated. I was puzzled to read your comment about noise and I am sorry about the experience, I will look into that.

The beds are amazing... come back soon for an amazing sleep in and we will make sure you are totally spoiled!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We booked this based on good reviews on Trip Advisor. Unfortunately we were disappointed. We arrived at 1. Our room wasn't ready but we were offered a smaller loft room than booked. We declined. When we did check in after 2 we were surprised how small the room was and wondered how small the smaller one could have been?
We booked the loft cause it looked funky and a bit different .. But realised this was a mistake. There is no room upstairs by the bed for your belongings - there is just a bed (and TV) .. Was a bit of a pain to go up and down the stairs to the bathroom and to get any belongings .. Something we didn't think through

The wifi while free cut out one night apparently due to the passwords being automatically regenerated - something we weren't told.
We didn't use the iPads. It's no substitute for your own.

The worse part about staying here was the noise. The noise from a nearby construction site can be heard all night long. Also there was noises from air conditioning and plumbing. Our room was definitely not sound proof. Earplugs did help though.

The location is great. Just a stone throw from Darling Harbour.
A previous reviewer mentioned the nearby location of Europcar rental.. Which was a great tip as we could walk the 100 metres to the hotel from drop off point.

The staff were friendly, service was good.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Annie,

Thank you for your kind words about our great team, the wonderful service and stand out location.

If the room is available we will always check a guest into their room early. Check in is from 2 pm so it was good to read that we offered you an alternative when you arrived early.

When logging into the free Wi-Fi users are asked the period of time they would like complimentary service for (minimum is 1 day and maximum 7 days) after the chosen time expires it is necessary to log in again.

We have a great variety of rooms available, perfect for those travelling solo as well as those wanting more space. As you mentioned The Loft rooms do have stairs and also huge original windows (all double glazed) and high ceilings, it sounds like a Deluxe King or Junior Suite may have been better suited to your needs.

I am sorry to hear that noise disturbed you, I will work on resolving that. Thank you for letting me know.

Annie, we would love to see you again. Let me know before you next come to Sydney because I am sure your next stay you with us will be a 5 star experience!

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I888 Hotel - A lovely building, trendy furnishings and comfortable. Great location. Round the corner from Darling Harbour where there are plenty of restaurants and shops. Young team of staff who were all very professional, friendly and provided great service.Very Clean and modern,would stay again if in Sydney no question.

Room Tip: Upgrade to larger room maybe.Depends on how much time you spend in room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2014

Dear Clubbers1

Thank you for your brief but brilliant review!

Far from home, we were thrilled to ensure you had a wonderful, albeit brief, visit to this stunning city and our hotel.

Come back soon so you can enjoy it some more!