“Nice boutique place - bit quirky”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 178 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We had one night here and having wanted to avoid the typical chain hotels it delivered as desired at a fair price; under $200 for 5 star in Sydney (through booking.com) is great value. We didn't have a shoebox although our room was still quite "compact" but fine and the bathroom was a good size and functional. Nice coffee in the eating area but we chose to head to Glebe for a Sydney brunch experience (which was pretty good; try Astor on Glebe Point Rd which is only a few minutes drive from 1888). Very helpful staff and we liked the no paper policy. We were impressed that one of the few remaining wool stores in Sydney has been saved and put to really good use.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear mftlat,

Thank you for your kind comments. It was great to read that you loved how this historic building has been repurposed into this cool boutique hotel. Thank you also for you 5 star feedback on our service and cleanliness.

Come back soon and try more that The Eatery & Bar has to offer, we do a lot more than just great coffee!

There are newer reviews for Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour

Reviewed 17 June 2014

After several hundred hours in the air - economy class - Hotel 1888 was the BEST place to land. I looked like rubbish and their staff were so nice to me. I forgot my charger and they came up to the room and gave me one to use - at 1am. The best thing ever was that I instagramed my cup of tea and chocolate by my bed and lo and behold, a long lost friend from Perth was sleeping two floors down from me. She saw my instagram and posted one just like it. We then caught up for breakfast the next day. It really is the world's number one instagram hotel. I would have never known she was in town, let alone the same hotel, if I didn't gram that bedside saviour!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Betty,

I loved reading your review, it was wonderful to learn that you caught up with a long lost friend. It was also great to read that 1888 Hotel was the best place for you to land, with our unique facilities and caring service.

Come back soon - you never know who you might meet!

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

This is a funky little hotel in a pretty good location close to the CBD and darling harbour. Just don't expect a whole lot of space when you book your room unless you pay the premium for the suites. The downstairs restaurant is a very trendy little hangout, though we didn't eat here, the menu looked pretty good. Overall id stay here again if you didn't want a lot of room and if it was just a stopover for 1 night.

• Stayed: June 2014

Hi Benny,

Thanks for the great review and it's wonderful to hear that we will see you again.

We are very fortunate to have a wide variety of room types giving our guests the opportunity to choose what is exactly right for them. The shoebox rooms are perfect for those who want all the luxuries of a boutique hotel and a great rate or for those that would like a bit more space and enjoy our popular king room the upgrade is only $20 per person...the choice is yours.

Your 5 star rating for cleanliness and service were most appreciated!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

1888 is by far the best boutique hotel in Sydney. My girlfriend and I stayed there for a special occasion and both of us loved it. It's located conveniently in Darling Harbour and just a stone's throw away from the Casino. It's less than 5 mins to walk right into the Harbour. It doesn't have any parking, but you can park your car in a public carpark located across the road - the parking is usually $60 something dollars for 24 hours, however the hotel gives you a discount card when you checkout that reduces it down to only $39. Overall, the room was clean, comfortable and very, very modern. It comes with a cool iPad style entertainment system and they actively encourage you to bring your own hard-drive in (loaded with movies/music). They have awesome music pumping downstairs, being streamed from a Spotify playlist. They've got a picture frame hanging in the foyer that you can jump into, which is perfect for a sneaky selfie as you check-in. The breakfast in the restaurant wasn't anything special, but it did the job and we were still satisfied. We will 100% be coming back in the future!

Room Tip: We stayed in King Deluxe room 212. It's one of the few King Deluxe rooms that comes with a large...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Chris,

WOW - the best boutique hotel in Sydney, thank you so much!

It was great to read that you had such a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the unique services that we offer.

We look forward to seeing you again - 100%!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here for 1 night. Most has already been mentioned by other review. The service was great. We stayed in a King room which was small but sufficient. The bed was very comfortable and the curtains black out the city lights well so we got a great night sleep. Breakfast was OK, I had the toast with jam which was fine, my husband had eggs on toast and his eggs were well overcooked. We got a cheaper deal on agoda, otherwise we wouldn't have stayed here for the standard rate.

Dear Dev,

Thank you for the wonderful words and the 5 star rating for location, sleep quality, cleanliness and service. Thank you also for the comments about the eggs, I am sorry they were overcooked but am pleased that you let me know, I will now fix that.

Before your next visit you are welcome to book direct and we will ensure that you enjoy another great deal!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We loved every minute of staying at 1888 hotel, so comfortable from the moment you walk in, the staff are amazing, the food and coffee us wicked, I love our room, totally cool. If you haven't stayed here you should, it's the home you wish you had :)

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Stormdue

Hi Stormdue,

Thanks for a brief but fantastic review!

We love that you loved the food, the coffee, your room and the team, we also loved having you visit. Stay longer next time!

Reviewed 15 June 2014

There are many places to stay in Sydney, most of which are overpriced. I found the 1888 looking through Trip Advisor. I didn't have to look far as it was the #1 ranked hotel, and it's easy to see why.

I booked a shoebox room with breakfast for a night and rang up to tell them I would be checking in around 9pm. The male manager greeted me upon arrival and processed the check-in quickly and efficiently. The lobby area is very nice - all built around an old warehouse with the main supports the original wood. The lifts were glass so it was pleasant yet short ride to the 3rd floor. I asked for a quiet room so was a bit dismayed when my room was next to the lift. However, it wasn't a problem. The lifts were very quiet and there was only a little noise from a few people drinking downstairs that didn't last long.

The shoebox rooom is small, but large enough for 1 or 2 people. There is only 1 chair but room for 2, so if you asked reception for one I'm sure they would bring one. The bed was a comfortable queen although the pillows were a bit big and hard for my liking.

There was coffee and T2 tea in the room, along with a good-sized TV and an ipad. There is free WI-fi but only for one device. The bathroom was quite big and had nice soap and shampoo (bottles stuck on the the walls so no samples to take away).

Breakfast was nice - $15 prepaid or $21 if not. $21 is a bit steep for what you get but $15 is fair value. There were croissants, large muffins, fresh fruit, cereal, toast, juice, plus a proper coffee. You could also order off a menu. There was a choice of seats ranging from old leather couches to tables.

Checkout was prompt but I did have to contact the hotel for a tax invoice the next day despite being told it had been emailed. I caught a taxi to and from the hotel so won't comment on the location, but it is a short taxi ride to the city or the uni.

1888 has charm and character. The original wood in the building really looks nice and they have done a great job in building the hotel in and around it.

Price wise the 1888 competes with most hotels in Sydney. In terms of character and service I think it's a real winner.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank mjref

Dear Mjref,

It was fantastic to read your 5 star review, thank you!

You appreciate everything that 1888 is about, the history, the heritage, the clever use of space, wonderful design, quality products, great value and stand out staff.

Thank you for sharing your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.