“One night”

Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour
Ranked #3 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

We got there 9am wanted to drop bags off but were allowed to book in. We booked the attic, amazing, mini bar included, and bottle of fizz, very helpful friendly staff, central location to darling harbour. The playlist on inroom i-pad was great, lovely shower, comfy big bed, was all fab apart from the inroom fridge a tad noisy could do with a door infront to reduce the noise. Had early breakfast which was ample, inculded continental, but offers cooked if that way inclined. Away first thing, shame as could have stayed in till check out 13.00!! Highly recommend, would return!

1  Thank Raymont74
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Hi Raymond,

Thank you for your rave review!

One night in The Attic is never enough, it is one of my favourite rooms with its private balcony, views of the city and glimpses of Darling Harbour.

It sounds as if we spoiled you - we love doing that but next time stay for longer!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

We only managed to squeeze in a 4 night stay during our trip around China, Australia & Bali, and I really wish we could have stayed longer.

The hotel is in a great location, cross the road, through the mall & you are in the heart of Darling Harbour.

Very modern & clean rooms, a good size compared to some others & the staff are all friendly & helpful.

I would definitely not hesitate to recommend 1888.

The breakfast is also amazing!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jane,

We are so pleased that you were able to visit us at all, it sounds as if you had a very busy time away from home.

Thank you for your great review and especially the comments about our great location, the amazing breakfast and wonderful team.

Come back soon and stay longer!

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed in the shoebox room at Hotel 1888 recently, and enjoyed every aspect of my stay. Great location 2 mins walk from Darling Harbour (through safe and busy area). Staff were friendly and helpful, and although I did not try any food or drink from the restaurant in the lobby, it added to the overall warm atmosphere. The light rail Convention centre station is located across the road via the Novotel car park, and was a good point of access for transport to Circular Quay and the airport (via Central station).
The shoebox room was surprisingly spacious, very modern, clean, and came with all the necessary amenities (tea/coffee/nice minibar items/hairdryer/iron+board/ipad/tv/good lighting and convenient powerpoint access). Only tiny issues were very poor telephone/internet access in the room and lack of natural lighting, as the room window looks into the lobby. This was not a major issue for me. Soundproofing was poor but this did not hugely affect a good night's sleep. I would definitely recommend a stay here, especially over the larger-chain but older hotels across the road!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TSR32

Dear TSR32,

Thank you for your 5 star review!

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.

Come back soon and enjoy the great hospitality we also offer in The Eatery & Bar!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here last week for my 30th birthday. We have stayed in Sydney oodles of times, and can honestly say that staying at the 1888 hotel was by far the best accomodation We've experienced - ever!!
We were lucky enough to recieve a complimentary upgrade from a standard queen room, to a queen deluxe (which instantly gave us a buzz). We found the room to be very spacious and comfortable, with a modern edge. The employees at the 1888 hotel were all super customer focussed. We can not flaw this place & will definitely be returning

Dear Renee,

"A slice of heaven" - thank you so much for your kind words. It was wonderful to read that you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us on your birthday.

Your comments about our customer focused team are much appreciated, we are all ready to welcome you back and spoil you some more!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed in the shoebox room, which was more than adequate for as I was travelling on my own. Would probably be Ok for a couple spending one or two nights as well, especially if you do not plan to spend much time in the room. The rooms and hotel are beautifully presented and very clean. Bathroom and shower were very nice. Bed very comfortable. Location is good for accessing Darling Harbour but it would be a bit of a hike if you wanted to access attractions such as the Botanic Gardens, Circular Quay or the Rocks. I would suggest catching the train from Town Hall to Circular Quay. Staff were very helpful and the stay was good value for money. Two minor annoyances: I would like to see a greater emphasis on sustainability. This hotel has the potential to be the Sydney version of the Alto in Melbourne. Second, the iPad in the room is very useful but I could not find a way to switch it off at night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Pierre B

Dear Pierre,

Thank you for your stand out review!

It was great to read that you loved the room and your recommendation about our Shoebox rooms was most appreciated.

Thank you also for your wonderful comments about our great value for money and exceptional staff.

Next time you are with us you may like to try the ferry from Darling Harbour to Circular Quay, some of the best views and photo opportunities in Australia!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

I had just one night here. It is well located to Darling Harbour, The Star and anywhere around the Pyrmont area. Although it doesn't enjoy city views, it has a lovely modern feel to it. Staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in a suite which was roomy, with a comfy bed and even a large bath. There is a small bar area in the lobby where I enjoyed a drink before heading out to dinner. I also enjoyed breakfast there in the morning - much nicer than the Novotel across the road. Although I missed having a nice view/outlook, I would recommend and would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kylie F

Dear Kylie,

Thank you for your great review, we are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your 5 star rating of location, sleep quality, rooms, cleanliness and our service was fantastic and most appreciated.

Next time you stay you may like to think about staying in The Attic, it has a private terrace, stunning views of the city and glimpses of Darling Harbour. Let me know before you next book to ensure you are completely spoiled on your next stay.

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was up in Sydney and stayed for a night in one of the small rooms, I was a bit hesitant at first and I usually stay at the larger brand five star hotels.

I couldn't have been happier, the service was truly exceptional, the room, although small, was very well designed and was more than large enough for a brief stay. The hotel is very well positioned, perfect for any sort of travel.

This hotel was reminiscent of the quality boutique hotels that you would find in Paris or London. I travel frequently, rarely would I find a hotel that would gain my loyalty as a patron so easily, this is definitely one. I recommend that anyone try 1888, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Marcus S
Hotel1888, General Manager at Ovolo 1888 Darling Harbour, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Marcus,

Thank you for the fantastic review and the perfect score!

We are so pleased that you found us and that your stay with us was fantastic. It was wonderful to read that we have earned your loyalty! We look forward to seeing you on a regular basis and if there is anything in particular we can do to tailor your stay even further please just let me know.

We love spoiling you!