“An Overpriced Slum. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!”
Review of Orwell Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sydney
Orwell Lodge
Ranked #79 of 140 Speciality Lodging in Sydney
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“An Overpriced Slum. AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!!!”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have been to this location a number of times and more recently for a longer stay of many months. This gave me a chance to see if legitimate concerns were ever addressed and if this was a short term problem. It is not, this is a chronic fraud and this proprietor sees no need in making anything right.

The conditions here are deplorable, that is true. You are expecting to pay over $300/week (CASH) for a stay in a place that offers the following:

Infestations of roaches, maggots, and other bugs running all over the place. I had bugs living under my sink that was not caulked at all, was loose, rusting and dropping rust bits all over the lower shelves. Bugs living in the furniture, they'd come out at night and jump into bed with you.

Repairs here are done by those who'd not even be called hobbyists and of course are done wrong and in a slipshod fashion, all in all not safe.

I'd not trust wiring, electrical switches that are worn out and not wired properly, they will sit and arc when on since they are 1/2 on and 1/2 off.

Circuit breaker boxes are full of dead and live roaches making them a bug hut, since nothing is installed or wired right or sealed.

Getting up one morning it as as though I had been mugged, bites all up and down my arms, on my feet.

You would see maggots running across the bathroom floors, roaches living in garbage in the common and shower areas.

We were without hot water for weeks when a heater broke. After it was "fixed" we had no hot water all day, only at off hours like 4am. It was like this still many months later and to the point I left.

Showers are not cleaned properly, they have debris and other gunk on the walls next to the toilet, glass shower doors just sitting off the tracks next to the wall and shower enclosure, useless. Some floors they are broke and have no shower heads with a sign telling us we need to use another floor for showers.

Laundry is useless and has no hot water, cold water wash only. If there is any place you want to use hot water, it would be here at Orwell Lodge.

Housekeeping seems to just run around all day seeing who is paying at the front desk, and then making a stink or talking to others so you have to stand at the top of the stairs waiting for them to get out of the way.

She just walked into my room without knocking on numerous occasions, once while I was standing there in my underwear and once while I was asleep. Completely odd.

For rooms that remain dirty and baths that are also, it seems all they do is generate chemical stink for no reason that we all have to breathe and then abuse the fixtures and toilets by slamming them shut all day long. It is really put offish. Abuse.

The proprietor is way too pushy on offers we need to attend a church since she claims to be a Christian. She gets into personal attacks and offers she knows her customers (Who she has never met) better than we do. It really is abusive and this is the next problem. She seems to support violent harm to others and essentially says we are to blame and we need to get over it, in her opinion about things she has no witness of, she just says "so what?". That ends it for me. And should for you also.

I'd call the proprietor at this point a felon and liar. AVOID this one at all costs.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel or lodge.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Pat S

Families
Couples
Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 18 May 2014

The thing that stands out the most about Orwell Lodge is how fantastic their staff were. They were some of the most helpful and courteous staff I have ever had. They are what made the experience memorable.

The Lodge is nice and clean and good value for the money. The rooms are basic but modern and clean. The location is in a trendy area called Potts Point but is close to all the major attractions Sydney has to offer.

Near the Lodge is Harris Farm Grocery store, the subway line, lots of food choices and much more. You definitely do NOT need a car if you stay at this location.

The room that I had was quite compact and small, The bathrooms was very nice, nice hot water. Windows were big and let in lots of light.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends