“One of the best deals around”

Mariners Court Hotel
Ranked #8 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best deals around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2010

I've stayed at Mariners' Court regularly, on as regular trips to Sydney, and do not recognise the establishment that is libelled in one or two of the more recent posts here. This is a respectable and tolerant establishment. Tolerance cannot extend to those who wish to disrupt the peace of families and others by smoking, drinking, and getting increasingly noisy through the night. It does, however, allow visitors arriving from early flights into Sydney to get into their rooms as soon as possible; a service which would not be available in many swankier joints. Rooms have, as some reviews note, every mod-con needed, and balconies. The location is fabulous. The old adage advises you to do as you would be done unto by others, and the majority of others simply desire a pleasant, untroubled, peaceful stay in the hotel of their choice, and do not wish to have their transquility disrupted by a carnival of hoons.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank ipswichboy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

We searched high and low for a decent hotel in Sydney. We wanted one that was close to the city centre, wasn't that expensive, wasn't a backpackers hostel and had en-suite bathrooms. It seems we found a hotel that more or less managed all four criteria.

The Mariners Court in Woolloomooloo (I just love that name!) probably seemed a bit expensive to us when we booked it. However, we're not used to Sydney prices. It was definitely the cheapest that did fill all four criteria.

Anyhoo, it's off to Woolloomooloo (!) we go! Arriving at the hotel (well, around the corner, for some reason our shuttle doesn't go to this hotel but one on the next street over, and the less said about the shuttle back the better, but that's the shuttle and not the hotel), we check in very quickly. The lady gives us two keys - one for the room and one to open the front gate - and takes our payment and we're away with no fuss. She does mention that it's a no smoking hotel (we checked the website and reviews anyway and don't smoke in any case) and we're off in the lift.

The lift is slow going. Still, there's only four floors to the place. We can make do with the lift easily. All the time we were without luggage we just used the stairs.

Previous reviews have commented on how this hotel is a refurbished nursing home. It's also a refurbished soldiers home I believe, but yes, it does look like a refurbished nursing home. I don't know if people have a problem with this - I certainly don't. The corridors are wide and the rooms on the signs are called "units". You can also still see where the emergency buttons would be, but this is no problem at all.

The room itself is very nice. The bathroom is partitioned into the toilet area and a shower by a shower curtain and a hair dryer is included if I remember correctly. The room has a microwave, fridge and kettle, as well as a small LCD TV and a double bed. Our order did state a twin but to be honest we weren't bothered and didn't bring it to the management's attention. Had we done so I'm sure they would have sorted us as they were very helpful during our stay. Our balcony didn't have much of a view but that's the luck of the draw and you don't expect great views from a hotel like this. We could just make out some fireworks on one night.

We did find the TV couldn't pick up any channels, which we brought to the attention of the management on our way out on the first full day. This was rectified by the time we got back. Also, we had a late flight on our final day and asked if we could store our suitcases after we checked out until we got picked up, which again the management were happy to let us do.

Breakfast was also present and was a pleasant enough selection of cereals, fruit, bread and the like. A cold continental breakfast. Not my favourite sort of breakfast (I have a fondness for the sausage sandwiches from the cafe across from my office) but it's good and it's included in the price. Again, you can't expect miracles and this isn't the Ritz. Only problems we did have were that the room with the pool table barely seemed to be open.

The hotel itself is close enough to the city centre, depending on which way you go. We found three. Walk up the street to Harry's and the waterfront and turn left will get you to the Botanical Gardens in 5 minutes. Walk through the streets of Woolloomooloo and over the railway bridge gets you to the art gallery reasonably quickly. Going away from the waterfront and then towards the CBD gets you towards the tower but takes a bit. Even so, it's within easy reach of Sydney's main attractions.

The area of Woolloomooloo does seem mixed but we never really felt threatened. I did feel a bit worried when passing a bridge strut which a few homeless people slept under which was on one of our routes into the city (away from the waterfront then towards the CBD) but other than that I felt safe. Woolloomooloo is, I gather, where a lot of celebrities have homes.

Overall, the stay was a pleasant one. The hotel was exactly what we expected - no frills (though the inclusion of a microwave, fridge and kettle was great), in a good area (no massive treks to the attractions) and the staff were very helpful.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank djmcbell
Girralong
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

Great location but the Manager is a Crazy. I witnessed him accuse 4 young male guests of being drunk, they denied this in a civilised manner and appeared sober to me and my partner. The manager later said to me he "hated" drinking and drinkers, clearly he has a problem, maybe he's a reformed alcoholic!! The next morning he rudely locked out of the dining room a number of guests who arrived for breakfast at 9.20am, as being too late yet the room directory clearly states that breakfast is served up until 9.30am. The rooms are small but adequate, the air con is on a 2 hour timer, inconvenient on a warm summers night and necessitating the opening of windows allowing the street noise and a nearby party to interrupt our sleep. Worst of all is the bathroom. The grout of the tiling is black with mould, disgusting. I've travellled extensively in India and this bathroom was up there with worst. There are better, more friendly Hotels nearby.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank girralongjoy
marinerscourt, Manager at Mariners Court Hotel, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Mariners Court Hotel is NOT a booze barn, smoking establishment

The above guest's comments emanated from a difficult arrival, when without booking a car park, they blocked the entrance and as car park was full were turned away and therefore disgruntled.

The Manager is not a "reformed alcoholic" and enjoys a drink like most people in moderation. When at 6.00pm on a Friday 6 guys - 2 of which were not hotel guests, arrived at the front door, quite drunk with a case of beer on their shoulders, they were quite rightly spoken to firmly They continued drinking in their room and smoking, breaking all hotel regulations. Yes, we have a zero tolerance on this as a protection for the other 80 guests staying in the hotel that night.

A complimentary substantiated buffet breakfast is provided for 2 hrs. From 7.30am to 9.30am The incident in question was 5 minutes before (9.25am )when the door closes, but allows guests currently in the dining room to complete their breakfast before the buffet is removed.
5 minutes will never be enough time to have breakfast. Unfortunately it was the same disgruntled 'parking' guest, not working within hotels requirements.

With 10,000 to 15,000 guests staying at our hotel annually, there will always be 2 or 3 that for whatever reason the hotel, its staff and its Management will not suit them. The large majority are satisfied and return. See" very welcome and accommodating " above comments that are typical of guests reaction to a stay with us.

*The comment regarding tiling is understandable as the mosaic tiling has discolored over the years. It is not grime as insinuated. To remove this type of comment we are scheduling a re-tiling programme for the New Year.
Tasmania
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2010

Can"t believe that people in the hospitality industry have no concept of good customer service.It started with the very off hand attitude we received at checkin (including derogatory remarks about other guests). One of our party had the uncomfortable experience of getting stuck in the lift for about 15 minutes,only to be told after he had finally been released that he should used the stairs. We were advised on checkin that we didnt have a remote for the air conditioner (which in any event didnt work), but told we woulnt need it anyway (not the point) and it was uncomfortably stuffy. Tap fell off the shower, towels almost see through. Dont assume the hours of operation for the reception are adhered too, especially on a Sunday- they dont like to be disturbed.
Breakfast was good and the staff there were very friendly and obliging, maybe the reception staff should take a leaf out of their book.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank missOrganized
marinerscourt, Manager at Mariners Court Hotel, responded to this review, 7 December 2010
The guest in question arrived late from overseas for a wedding, had cancelled a room the night before on short notice (not charged even though a no cancellation policy in place) and sadly appeared under stress due to a family bereavement.

We believe the comments are unfounded as we would not rate 25 out of all hotels in our class if "we had no concept of good customer service". We deal with difficult guests (and there are always one or two) under the mantra of the French term "politesse" and though this was the case here, it apparently was not sufficient.

Lift - Yes, door was stuck with guest husband in side, who remained calm and communicative asking staff to advise his wife in her room. The door was opened within 7 minutes. His wife became very agitated and distraught and was asked to calm down and to use the stairs until the lift serviceman had checked operations (approx 1 hour).

"Stuffiness" & air con not working
All rooms have a fan, an opening balcony door/ windows and reverse cycle air con units (2 years old and 100% working). Do not understand the comments.

Towels and shower tap
All towels are laundered, inspected and delivered daily by a professional Company, so this comment is unfounded. Fixing screw on tap did come off. This was fixed immediately.

Reception Hours
To maintain a very competitive price point for rooms, the hotel does not have a 24 hour concierge. Guests are required to check out at 10.00am, to allow for new check ins. This did not suit this particular guest.
The "Faulty Towers" term can also be appropriate for unusual guests as well as the establishment.
South Coast, New South Wales
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2010

I stayed at the Mariners Court Hotel in Aug 10. I chose this Hotel because I had been here many years before on my own and the location is so close to the Wharf. This time I stayed with my husband and three children and we also had an extra room for a friend. The room my husband and I stayed in was very adequate, all the facilities we needed and the interconnecting room had three single beds and one wardrobe and a small side table, which my son loved because he could use his laptop on it. The only thing I would suggest to the Hotel is perhaps adding a TV in the interconnecting room as well because there wasn't enough room on the Queen bed for my husband, myself and the three kids and this way they would of been able to watch their cartoons without us adults having to as well! There might possibly be enough room to add one where the wardrobe is, even a small one in the cupboard.

The buffet breakfast each morning was lovely and I know the kids loved it as well, especially the peaches and yoghurt!

The location is perfect for those who wish to Farewell their loved ones at KUTTABUL and don't want to spend a fortune to do so. We did venture through Kings Cross one day during our visit and yes it isn't exactly a place I would take my children to too often, but we had no problems and it is a good 5 minutes walk away from the Hotel.

Robert the Manager was very nice and accommodating to us when we required for our car to stay longer after check out time so that we could farewell my husband and walk back to the Hotel and collect the car afterwards.
We will definitely be back .

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank elysian2010
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Mariners Court Hotel a number of years ago, 2005 I think. We loved it because of the price, cleanliness and excellent attitude of the staff. The advertising was very honest. We just wanted somewhere representing good value for our first stay in Sydney.

We are a couple of aging sailors who loved the history of the building. We most certainly would recommend to others wishing to stay in a great location with compact but clean rooms very close to everything that interests us - we are returning again in July this year and looking forward to staying there again

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JacqH
melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

I stayed in this hotel with my partner and 5 friends as we were attending a concert in Sydney. We choose this hotel because the location is good and it is very reasonably priced. But i cannot believe how rude the staff were at the hotel. They made us feel very uncomfortable the entire stay. I have stayed in many hotels around the world and must say this would be the worst service i have ever received. I would only recommend this hotel to people over the age of 70.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank laura007melbourne
marinerscourt, Manager at Mariners Court Hotel, responded to this review, 19 June 2010
Unfortunately some guests wish to use accommodation hotels as a cheap alternative, to drinking and entertaining themselves.
The group in question used out of bounds areas to smoke in a non smoking hotel and drink and generally disturbed other guests.
They were approached twice on this matter. We do not apologise for controling such situations, as we have many return guests who require a good nights sleep.