This looks like a well run motel that has its location as a double edged sword. It's a great location, less than a 10 minute walk from Kings Cross railway station and only 20 minutes to walk down the main drag, William St, into the Sydney CBD with all its attractions and shops. But because it is very close to the Kings Cross nightclub precient it also suffers from the type of customers who go out on a bug night in the Cross and then come back with little regard for others and act like idiots in the rooms and hallways possibly at all hours of the night.
My son and I stayed there on a good rate with an extra $7 AUD each for breakfast booked via the Accor website.
I hadn't checked Tripadvisor reviews first as i was mainly interested in a cheap rate for somewhere to stay as we were going to a Ronan Keating concert, (excellent by the way), and needed somewhere to sleep before travelling by train home the next day.
The reviews made me feel like booking somewhere else and forgoing the prebooked money we had paid.
Having said that we ended up with a family room, (one x Queen and 1 by double bunk bed), that we had booked that had nice clean sheets although the mattress on the main bed looked liked it had had a load of overweight footballers jumping up and down on it for an end of season pyjama party and made funny groaning noises each time you shifted your weight on it.
My son can normally sleep on a concrete floor and not complain and he commented that he hadn't enjoyed the mattress on the lower bunk bed he slept on.
The rooms and the motel have suffered from the guests who have stayed there and worn out and damaged things way ahead of their use by date.
Not all guests are rowdy party goers and we saw a fair number of os tourists checking in from airport shuttle buses although they may know the brand from Europe.
The room was clean but tired and the staff were all terrific without exception, probably the best element of the hotel. All staff were helpful and friendly and nothing was a problem.
With breakfast we had choice of about 6 cereals and plenty of toast with spreads as well as orange juice as the only juice. Also had some tinned peaches which were nice.
Had a good coffee machine that also made hot chocolate which is all we wanted so that was really good.
I would recommend this motel with the proviso that you get what you pay for and noting that depending on what day you stay on you may end up with some large group of male rabble rousers out on a big night on the town who also want cheap accommodation for the night when they finally get back from partying.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located just 5 minutes from the Sydney CBD in the cosmopolitan East Sydney, Formule 1 Sydney East is the ideal inner city budget accommodation. The lively area boasts a huge range of restaurants, bars and clubs; and is within walking distance to the city, Sydney shopping, museums, art galleries, Hyde Park and the colourful Oxford Street.From the close by train station, Bondi Junction, Circular Quay and many more attractions are only a few stops away. Rooms feature a queen size bed with single or double bunk, twin beds or quad share rooms and all have a private en-suite bathroom, air-conditioning and LCD TV's. Please note : If you are taking a taxi/Hire car to the hotel ask the driver to drop you off at PREMIER LANE entrance to avoid the stair case with your heavy luggage. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Ibis budget Sydney East reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Formule 1 Sydney East Hotel Sydney
- Formule 1 Kings Cross Sydney