“Pretty average but well located.”

Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels
Ranked #60 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Adelaide, SA
“Pretty average but well located.”
Reviewed 21 December 2013

In Sydney on business and just needed an overnight stay. The location is right on George St with easy access to everything. Reception is on the first floor.
Was a tiny little room and I wouldn't recommend for long term or families but was OK for just a night. Was very clean however. I think in future though I would venture another 400m up the road to the Mercure or similar.

Room Tip: Don't expect the Ritz!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank IDHAdelaide
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 22 December 2013
Dear IDHAdelaide,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us regarding your recent stay.

I was very pleased to hear you were able to enjoy our central location and found the cleanliness of our rooms to be of high standard. I do apologise for any discomfort you experienced due to the size of your room.

We love to see a familiar face and should you choose to return to stay with us please feel free to contact me directly as we have multiple room size options available and I can ensure you are well looked after.

sydney@pensione.com.au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Australia
Reviewed 16 December 2013

Probably the worst place I've ever stayed, the room was so small & dingy it was like a prison cell it is more like a bad hostel than a hotel
Nothing like the pictures and very overpriced for what it is !
The bathroom had scum on the tiles the air conditoner was hardly working and it is quite noisy being on George street
Also the rooms walls are paper thin so we had no sleep due to other patrons partying and going from room to room this was right near the reception so we were surprised nothing was said to these people
Staff were ok - long lines at reception for both check in and check out

I would not return or recommend

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Janie12
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Janie12,

I am deeply saddened to hear that your stay with us fell well short of expectations and was very concerned to read of your discomfort.

Whilst we understand the hotel may not be to everyone’s taste the standard of cleanliness and service we provide are one of the many reasons people usually return to us time and time again and I am sorry that you did not receive this same experience. We also offer a variety of room size options to which our 24 hour reception team are always available to assist with any enquires.

I would like to sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you faced in relation to the operations of the air conditioning unit in your room, I am pleased to advise that we have scheduled our regular maintenance since this being advised to us to prevent this from causing discomfort to our future guests and thank you for bringing this to our immediate attention.

I would also like to apologise for the discomfort you received due to any internal noise you experienced. We do ask that all guests respect the privacy and comfort of other guests within the hotel and are always happy to ask others to lower the volume if causing a disturbance to ensure that everyone has a good nights’ sleep.

It is upsetting to think that we will not be welcoming you back to the hotel due to the issues you have highlighted and I can assure you your stay certainly wasn’t the level of standard so many of our other guests have become accustomed too. If you would like to return to us, please feel free to contact me directly through the below e-mail and I will ensure you are offered a very competitive rate and well looked after.

Brisbane
Reviewed 15 December 2013 via mobile

Probably the worst place I've ever stayed in my long traveling life. Room was tiny; poorly equipped - not even a bedside lamp; in fact, not even a bedside cabinet. Old, rundown, dilapidated place. My room was like a prison cell. Bathroom was a joke. The smallest hand basin I've ever seen. Do not stay at this place. Bulbs not working.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Paul R
Dear IrishAustralian,

Our guests are very important to us and I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback. After reading the above review and obviously being very concerned by it we would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for your discomfort.

Due to the nature of the heritage building that the property is housed in, each of our rooms do have a unique quality and their own individual characteristics and have been designed to utilise all available space to provide a comfortable environment for our guests

If at any time our guests are not completely satisfied with any aspect of their stay, our friendly reception team are available 24 hours to ensure guests satisfaction and comfort, as this is our number one priority.

Once again I sincerely apologise that your most recent visit left such a negative impact. If you would like to discuss this further please don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel on sydney@pensione.com.au as we would love to have you come and stay with us again ensuring your stay is more enjoyable.

Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

We booked the hotel on the day& we were very happy with the condition. The rooms were clean, nice sheets, comfortable bed. We discovered on our way out a communal area with kettle, fridge, microwave and nice seating area. We will definetly utilise this area next time we stay there!
A special mention to the Italian receptionist who was the most friendly receptionist& smilley i have ever encountered!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Dear Anne E,

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us at Pensione Hotel Sydney.

Thank you so much for your delightful review! Your kind words have been passed onto Simona and she is extremely grateful for the mention. These comments don’t go unnoticed as we love to hear that the team has had an impact on a guests stay for all the right reasons.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Melbourne
Reviewed 4 December 2013 via mobile

It was a reasonable price ($120) and it was clean and tidy and the staff were nice (over worked though, it took too long to check in and check out because there were line ups) but gee it was noisy (street noise). Won't stay again unless I can't get anywhere else, but for value for money this is a good choice!

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
Dear Donna S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us.

I am glad that overall you found your stay to be great value for money and that our friendly staff were available to assist you. I do however apologise for any inconvenience you faced in regards to external noise from the hotel and I would hate for this to be the reason you decide not to return to us in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you require accommodation in Sydney and I can ensure you are allocated a more suitable room.

We love to see a familiar face and would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.

Princes Risborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I stayed at Pensione Hotel for 7 nights. A great location, easy for trains and buses, within walking distance for Darling Harbour and Circular Quays. I found all the reception staff friendly, helpful and all had a good local knowledge.

My room was compact, but in a central city hotel this isn't unusual - especially for the price. The room was super clean, with tv, fridge, ironing board + iron, hair dryer, safe, wifi and a fabulous shower room!

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again or to recommend! Looking forward to next time!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Dear Alisoncyb,

What a delightful review!

I am thrilled that you had such a pleasant stay and found our facilities and location to be of great value for money.

Thank you so much for your kind words regarding our friendly reception staff. We love to hear that the team has had an impact on a guests stay for all of the right reasons!

We would love to see you again next time you are visiting Sydney.

Melbourne
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This hotel makes itself appear much much nicer in its own photos than what it actually is. Our room was tiny, literally like a box. The bed was actually 2 singles pushed together. There were numerous patch up jobs in the walls with no attempt to paint over. No space in bathroom. Window looked directly into other people's windows 5 meters away. On a very busy street.

For $150 this offered no decent value for money.

• Stayed November 2013
PensioneSydney, Front Office Manager at Pensione Hotel Sydney - by 8Hotels, responded to this review, 21 November 2013
Dear Barbedwirestar,
I am deeply saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us and that we fell short of your expectations.
I do sincerely apologise for any inconvenience you faced in relation to the size and presentation of your room. In regards to the paintwork, as part of our ongoing product improvement program we are currently in the process of refreshing these areas of concern. We also offer a variety of rooms which do vary in size and our friendly reception team are always on hand to offer alternative solutions to assist with ensuring an enjoyable stay.
I would hate for this to be the last time we see you and should you wish to return to the city in the future I would love it if you could kindly contact me as I would be more than happy to assist you in your stay with us and ensure you are well looked after.
Warm regards