“Fantastic stay at the Hotel Coronation”
Review of Hotel Coronation

Hotel Coronation
Ranked #120 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 7 January 2008

I booked hotel coronation very early on in the year but was dreading getting there after reading a couple of unsatisfactory reviews on this site before I headed off to Oz. I have to say that I found this hotel to be absolutely brilliant - great location, friendly staff, clean room which was serviced on a daily basis and with all the facilities in the room which we needed. The room we had was on the fourth floor (room 402 with a balcony - much recommended!) and although a little noisy, it was not as bad as I had imagined it would be with a 24 hour bar downstairs. If you are a very light sleeper, ear plugs would do the trick. Great budget hotel in a fantastic location opposite Town Hall station.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank timeoutdee
CoroSyd, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Coronation, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2016

Reviewed 26 December 2007

The location is fantastic, walking distance to Darling Harbour, for the price the rooms are good with clean facilities. It's a great place to stay if you want to shop, with the Queen Victoria Building just down the road and you can drop your shopping off and go again. It's close the the movies and lots of restaurants. You can even stroll down to the harbour. As for the lift I use the stairs anyway as it is only a four storey hotel.

Stayed: December 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank 111Nsw

Reviewed 17 December 2007

I called the hotel reception on 12/Dec/06 and booked two rooms for five nights to work at a trade show in Sydney. We stayed here before, although not impressed by the hotel itself, it's location is great. But when we arrived, the staff told us we didn't book! I gave her the booking details, she said she didn't know and I can talk to the manager. The manager who also runs the bar next door, came over and said: as far as he is concerned, we could be just anyone from the street asking for accommodation. Not only that they don't honour our bookings, he also shouted and humiliated us! He is by far the worst person I've ever come across.

I've travelled to many parts of the world, this is the worst experience ever.

• Stayed: February 2006, travelled on business
3  Thank SongbirdMelbourne

Reviewed 3 December 2007

Just back from 5 days in Sydney staying in Hotel Cornation. Our room was comfortable,clean, & we didnt have any of the problems that the other reviews have mentioned.
But we did have a problem on our first night with council workers who decided to start with a jack hammer at 9.00 at night,by 10.00 it was still going on, i tried to contact manager on the number given in hotel information no luck so i phoned down to the bar & spoke with staff on duty who very pleasant , helpful & who said they would try to find out what was happening.
Anyway to cut a long story short they managed to get it stopped at 12.00.
Next morning we asked to see the manager. He was friendly, helpful. While we there he phoned the local council to find out what was happening, he said the hotel had never been told of the work which was being done outside but he would try & find out & ask for work not to be done at unsociable hours.
We asked to be moved into another room just incase the work was to continue.So we packed up our case & they moved us into a room at the back of the hotel for the rest of our stay.
For a budget hotel in such a central location we thought it was ideal.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank foggy58

Reviewed 12 November 2007

I stayed in Hotel Coronation during my honeymoon in Oct/Nov & was surprised to find the hotel in a fairly bad state (contrary to earlier rave reviews of the place). The hotel doesn't have a proper modern lift, but those old cranky manual ones that comes with a gate & a door. The lift can get quite difficult to manoveur when you have loads of luggage to carry. One of my greatest complaints has gotta be the bed. It's terribly soft & small (though it was of queen-sized). I had aches & pains everyday during my 4 nights' stay at the hotel.
The receptionists (I think there are at least 3-4 on them, working on shifts) aren't a particularly helpful bunch. They couldn't provide information when requested & were not even familiar with information on the hotel itself.
Finally, on the good side, the bathrooms were fairly new & clean (which was a comfort). Location of the hotel was also superb, easy to get around Sydney CBD & there's a supermarket right beside the facility.
-- Distressed tourist from Singapore

• Stayed: November 2007
2  Thank autrumn

Reviewed 8 November 2007

Do not stay in this hotel.

I stayed here in November, and had a truly appalling experience.

The bed I was in was full of insects, which resulted in me obtaining about a hundred red and swollen bites all over my body, including my face. This was extremely distressing for me, as I was in Sydney to greet international visitors.

If this was not bad enough, the standard of the room was terrible – accommodation at youth hostels is far better.

The furniture in my room was patched up with tape. The lighting in the bathroom was so dim I had to leave the door open to be able to see anything. The television only showed one channel, and had no remote control.

In addition to this, ‘reception’ (a tiny hole in the wall) is only open from 8am to 8pm, which for me made complaining about any of these problems impossible. I have never in my life seen a hotel that touts itself at this star rating put a sign up for patrons to drop off their room keys at the bar next door.

In short, this was the worst travel experience I have ever had. I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
5  Thank SAusN

Reviewed 18 October 2007

Based on reviews from this site & being on a budget, we contacted the hotel to book a weeks stay towards the end of April 2007. We were very happy with the lady who took the booking & we opted for a slightly more expensive 'suite' on her advice which had a couch etc & a bit more room for this longer stay. Upon checking in we were required to pay for the entire week in advance (!) In the bathroom, the handbasin was cracked all the way through, the towel rack above the toilet on a precarious lean, the vent had no cover so you could see right into the dirty & dusty piping in the ceiling (we were on the top floor) and the bed was on a definite 'lean' to one side. The TV remote did not work and you could only get 2 channels anyway. Every time the old-style lift operated there was a very loud 'clunk clunk' as it locked into the desired floor (apparently the machinery was beside/above our room) - so you can imagine how many times a day/night that happened. We asked if we could change rooms as soon as we noticed these things & was told "No, we are full, maybe if someone checks out " Refund was not an option either. As we had specifically requested a 'quieter' room when booking many months prior you can imagine our disappointment.
After a totally sleepless night our room was changed the next afternoon another 'suite' lower down - this one too had bits missing in the bathroom & the maid had 'forgotten' to leave towels, soap & toilet paper, but did leave hairs on the sheets etc. We were told that the usual housekeeper was on holidays & they just 'couldn't get good staff' from the agencies! On the Saturday night there was a reception of some sort held in their function room. There was one floor between the microphone & our bed but no matter, we heard every drunken speech, every lyric to every song..I rang the Duty Manager after 11.30 pm to ask when would we expect some quiet & he said 2 AM ! I felt so sorry for the people under us - they must have been deafened (or maybe they were at the reception?) Anyhow, the next day the receptionist said that someone should have told us there were noisy functions like that so we could choose whether to stay or not. Nope, no-one had told us at check-in, the day before, or even that day so we could have made alternative arrangements. There was no apology from the Manager, he said "We're a pub, not a 5 star hotel, it's noisy, what do you expect?" and basically "If you don't like it you can always stay elsewhere". Well yes, maybe if you had given us our money back for the remainder of our stay we would have! I looked at rooms at the Park Regis virtually next door and they were so much better than the Hotel Coronation in all respects for only a few $$$ more I was so sorry we had not been able to move there. I have since booked our neighbours into the Park Regis TWICE since then & both times they have been really well looked after for the staff & loved it (and only paid $125 a night as they have a aged pension card - even less than the Coronation 'suite'). Yes, the location is really convenienct only 50 metres from Town Hall station. But do yourself a favour - stay at the Park Regis!

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple