“Super!! New owner and new style...”

G'Day Backpackers International
G'Day Backpackers International
Ranked #162 of 181 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 14 August 2014

This hostel is really amazing...I have been here before in 2013, but it was a different owner.
Now everything is renovated or almost. Very nice staff and all guests are very symphatic... I will come back

Room Tip: All dorms are excelled! I stayed in a six bed dorm
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JuliaP146

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Horrible.
And any other word that can mean this.

Rob someone and get a few nights in jail. You will enjoy it more. This place is like a Thai prison that is proud to a Thai prison. In fact I d rather stay in a Thai prison.

I think rats are invited here to improve the place.

Stayed: August 2014
5  Thank RedmanMatt
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

The bathrooms and showers was so moldy in the roof that you felt dirtier after the shower than before.
The kitchen had no cups or glasses. There was no oven and the floor was not clean.
We stayed there for 5 nights and they didnt vacuum the hallways once = really dirty and dusty floors.
The outside sitting area was nice, but when it rained it made it really crowded inside.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank EmilDstrom
Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

City hostels are usually a little dirty so my expectations weren't that high but this one is unacceptable. The only good thing is the seating area outside - other than that you can find better hostels in the same price range.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank Missadventurelover
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Terrible hostel - one of the worst I have ever stayed in. The room I stayed in was dirty and needed a clean - not just a quick once over with a duster like I saw the staff member do. It only had one plug socket for the entire 10 bed dorm and an extension cable had to run across the floor so the fan could be plugged in - if the fan was plugged in then that was the only socket gone. The bed linen smelled of stale sweat as though it hadn't been changed in a while and the mattress was so worm you could feel the metal bars through it. The bathrooms are dirty - the one on the third floor has terrible water pressure and is either scolding or freezing so you have to constantly hop in and out of the shower. The place is noisy and constantly smells like cannabis with people sat outside drinking and smoking until the early hours of the morning. I didn't use the kitchen facilities as they looked dirty and in need of a proper clean - again not just a quick wipe down with no cleaning products like I saw a staff member do. The only good thing about this hostel was checking in and out was pretty smooth.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
8  Thank FullTimeTraveller409
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Do not book this hostel!

My boyfriend and I arrieved here using their free shuttle bus from the airport. The bus got us to the hostel 15 minutes after the reception closed so we could not check in. The reception closes between 12 noon and 4pm. The hostel staff knew what flight we were getting in as I emailed them to use the shuttle bus, but the did not warn us about the reception closing. After waiting 2 hours in their cold, dingy common area we found out there was a member of staff in reception, even though we had knocked earlier and received no answer.

After checking in we went to our room which was an 8 bed mixed dorm. It was discusting. It smelt of stale sweat, despite the window being wide open and my matress was so warn in the middle that my bum touched the bed slats. We decided not to use the kitchen facilities here as the whole place looked dirty and in need of a deep, industrial clean. The room only has one plug which fits our australian adapter but it is broken so only works if you stand and hold your plug in the socet so we cannot cahrge anything except in the bathroom.

We went out for drinks and food and when we came back about 11pm there were people congregating in the stairwells smoking, and there was a strong smell of cannabis smoke. It was like a thick fog throughout the building.

The showers are terrible. The one on the third floor was broken so constantly hanging down so you have to crouch to shower. The water is either boiling hot or freezing cold and the shower basin is full of pubic hairs and toe nails. This partly I imagin is due to lack of quality clenaing and partly due to the shower having rubbish pressure so the basin cannot be rinsed out properly when people shower.

The second day, after one night of being here I broke down crying in the street I was so upset at the thought of another night here. We tried to find another hostel and were willing to lose our deposit but everywhere was booked up until Monday (we still have one night left in this dive).

Last night, the second night, people were out in the common area making a lot of noise, singing, shouting, drinking games until early hours of the morning. I believe in the end I heard a staff memeber come and tell them to get to bed. In her credit she was very firm and told them straight to get inside and shut up. By this point I had a banging headacke (had another cry) and eventually fell asleep about an hour after the comotion.

This morning, more dirty, discusting showers to contend with before leaving for the day. We have found refuge in the state library where it is clean and you have free Wifi (unlike the hostel). We have only one night left as we have found another hostel for tomorrow, thank god.

If there is a backpacker hostel authority I will be writing to them about this hostel. Yes it's cheap but some things like decent matress, working shower and proper noise control should be granted (oh, and a bed sheet without blood stains!).

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank katie c
Reviewed 5 October 2012

I booked this hostel a few weeks before traveling to OZ. A solo female traveler I was keen on selecting a hostel that was clean and safe. I spent a lot of time researching and came across G'day. The picture on this page of the nice bed and room was luring but i think it must be a copied picture as nothing like it in realtity!!
I stayed in a female 5 bed room which was located in the roof, a fair treck if you have a heavy suitcase!
Overall the hostel was disgusting!! The hot water runs out by 8am and the cold water ran out on several occasions early morning, so you wouldn't even wash your hands or flush the toilet! I won't even describe the state of the toilets. One of the staff members insisted I washed my breakfast plate despite there being no water and was very rude when I asked how it was possible. Free breakfast by the way is bread or cereal, rubbish selection even for a backpackers! Be greatful if you actually manage to find a bowl/plate that is!
Is located in a dodgy part of town (Kingscross) with prostitutes standing outside the hostel. I felt unsafe walking down the road to the hostel and I am a sound solo traveler. I've stayed in cleaner hostels in third world countries! The staff are all rude and many are back packers themselves so don't care about anything. The bedding is washed in the washing machine on site and I dread to think if they actually get washed. The beds are filthy and many damaged. The showers in the morning are not cleaned till 10ish am, so if you have a shower between 8-10am you will be disgusted by the state of them. Covered in hair, rubbish and really grotty!! Overall I would never ever recommend this hostel! Its a health risk!!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo