“Absolute perfection of location and customer care in a boutique property.”
Review of Medusa

Medusa
Ranked #94 of 179 Hotels in Sydney
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Medusa offers the best in the boutique hotel genre. A perfect selection of room amenities to make you feel at home and comfortable, an amazingly perfect cool location in the center of Darlinghurst, offering easy and quick access to so many other lively neighborhoods of Sydney as well. Darlinghurst itself has much to offer by way of cozy cafes, boutique shops and welcoming local nightlife. The highest points however go to the wonderful small staff’s hospitality and meticulous care and attention to their guests. They are there to assist in every way when you need it, without ever being cloying like some smaller hotels tend to be. Medusa is quiet, clean and comforting, and I would recommend it for both short or extended stays.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank vicizzard

Reviewed 13 May 2009

What a delightful hotel. My husband and I are frequent travellers and we stayed at Medusa recently whilst in Sydney. Not only did we have a beautiful room, comfy bed and friendly service but we were right in the heart of Sydney's restaurant, cafe and bar area and a close walk to Paddington designers. The rooms were fresh and sparkling and my hubby even made me breakfast in bed one morning, thanks to the neat little kitchenette! Lindt chocolates on the pillow were my favourite little touch as well as the Avada toiletries. I just wish we had discovered Medusa sooner!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zr88
Reviewed 4 April 2009

Yes, the bed was wonderfully comfortable and the staff extremely friendly and helpful. But ... the tv didn't work (until someone came and adjusted the aerial), there was no milk in the fridge (I had to go downstairs and ask for it) and no curtains on the window (outside shutters only). I had to wonder who had designed the room - no powerpoint anywhere near the hot water kettle (the only powerpoint was situated about 6 inches from the floor and so the kettle itself had to rest on the floor) and the switch for the lights over the bed was located on the bed frame (I had to be shown - I'd never have found it on my own.) The room was also very small, up a couple of flights of stairs. It reminded me of staying in hotels in Europe. A good location, but I've stayed in much better hotels, at much the same price nearby. The Diamant, for instance.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank tmg123Melbourne
Medusa12, Duty Manager - Medusa Hotel Darlinghurst at Medusa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2009

Dear Past Guest,
Thank you so much for your review and your kind remarks regarding the staff here at the Medusa.
We would also like to offer our apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us and your constructive comments are very much appreciated.
We would like to take this chance to kindly elaborate on some of the points in your review that unfortunately made your stay less than perfect.
The reasons for not storing milk in the guest rooms are that we provide complimentary fresh milk that can be brought to our rooms anytime at the guest's request, we feel that this is a far nicer alternative to the smaller serves of long life milk that are standard in many hotel rooms.
We understand that there were also some aspects to your room that were found inadequate and we acknowledge that some of the nuances in the design of the rooms here at the Medusa can be unfamiliar but our Interior designer Scott Weston went to great lengths to ensure that our rooms are as functional as much as they are out of the ordinary and without elaborating on every point there are simple solutions to the problems mention that we would have been more than happy to provide an instant solution to,
Still as we cannot turn back the clock we would be happy to acknowledge your past stay's experiences with a complimentary upgrade to a larger room if you find yourself considering a stay with us again.

Kind Regards,

Nick Willox
Duty Manager
Medusa Hotel Darlinghurst

Reviewed 24 December 2008

I stayed at the Medusa the first week of December. The room was nice, the staff at the front desk pleasant and helpful. The hotel is very convenient to the King Cross train stop. Of all the places I stayed in Oz, this was the only one that had reasonable prices for broadband Internet ($5 AUD / day). I'd stay there again. The only minor complaint is there were no outlets in the room itself for my laptop, the iron, etc.

Ecobar across the street is a good place for a breaky, too. Very nice people.

Stayed: December 2008
Reviewed 15 June 2008

What a wonderful little gem.

We had a spare night before a family wedding and so decided to book on a whim. Upon arrival we couldn't have been greeted in a more welcoming manner. We arrived in Sydney very early and they were more than happy to hold onto our luggage whilst we were out and the room was being prepared – they were even kind enough to give us a call when the room was ready.

Having known that the hotel was ten years old, we were expecting a little wear and tear - that said though, we were pleasantly surprised. The standard room that we stayed in was a little pokey and probably not the largest room you will get for the price, but the little space that we did have was utilised so well. The decor was very modern/urban and it felt like a lot of time and effort had gone into the design.

The Aveda toiletries were a welcome surprise and probably most importantly, the bed was one of the comfiest we had ever slept in.

The hotel is located in the heart of Darlinghurst, which is thriving with cool restaurants and bars, all within walking distance. The best of which is Bills, only 100m walk from the hotel – undoubtedly the best scrambled eggs I have ever eaten in my life.

Nick or Luke (sorry can not remember) is such an asset to the hotel. Having stayed in many hotels around the world, it is not often that you come across such friendly and welcoming staff as at the Medusa.

Next time we are in Sydney we will be back!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank davidstossel
Reviewed 5 January 2008

We booked the Medusa for our honeymoon trip to Sydney on the recommendation of a friend. It was a wonderful stay, and we'd totally stay again. But, let me give some context...

The Medusa is neither the most luxurious hotel in Sydney nor the best located. But, if you want a very fine boutique hotel that sets you in a young, hip, vibrant neighborhood, then this is a wonderful choice.
Luke, the manager, couldn't have been nicer, and Jess was a wonderful help too. They both can recommend the perfect restaurant within walking distance, and within our price range. They, and the rest of the staff, give the Medusa its soul and personality, and hence why we enjoyed it so much. It totally removes you from corporate-hotel and tourist-trap hell! If you're active, social, and seeking to know the true Sydney, this is a great choice!

We had a deluxe suite, on the top floor for $385 AUD a night. Over New
Years that's an amazing bargain (considering the corporate chains command over $500 a night!) It was a huge room with a table and chairs, and decent bathroom. The bed was comfortable, and equivalent to any other hotel we've stayed in (with a nice selection of different
types of pillows.) The fridge, dishes, and extra sink were nice touches that allowed us to keep some extra snacks in the room. The room was very clean, in good order, and had cool dimmers. The bathroom was very clean, a little tight, but fine all the same.

The red carpeting in the stairs needs to be replaced, and the pink walls in the hall could be a better color. But, those small things couldn't blemish our otherwise perfect stay in a fun, gay-fabulous, welcoming hotel.

If you want to see the tourist-traps of Sydney, stay elsewhere. It's
not really close to the Opera House, Circular Quay, etc. But, if you want to get to know the soul of the city and its young, beautiful inhabitants, this is a wonderful choice!

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank boston6_8guy
Reviewed 15 June 2007

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Medusa Hotel -- and would definitely return. The staff was great -- friendly, helpful, with lots of insider information on where to go in town. You can't beat the location if you want to experience living in Sydney as opposed to staying in a touristy hotel downtown. The Medusa is within 1-2 blocks of lots of great cafes, restaurants, bars, "bottle" (wine) shops, and a short walk to several of the nicest neighborhoods of Inner East (the nicest part of Sydney). Downtown is a longer (but pleasant) walk or short taxi ride away -- I walked from the hotel to Sydney Harbour and the Opera House twice while I was there.

My room was nice -- large bed, free WIFI, huge bathroom, lots of natural light throughout, very clean. Also, there was a small kitchenette inside the wardrobe. Is it the most luxurious place in Sydney? Probably not. But if you're looking for a friendly boutique hotel in a great neighborhood location, I would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo