“Springfield Lodge - A handy location when staying in Sydney”
Review of Springfield Lodge

Springfield Lodge
Ranked #11 of 61 Sydney B&B and Inns
Tasmania
“Springfield Lodge - A handy location when staying in Sydney”
Reviewed 10 March 2011

The rooms are a bit small but clean and handy. There's a sidewalk restaurant right at the entrance. Located at Springfield Avenue just a few minutes walk from Kings Cross Train / Subwaystation. Easy to connect to anywhere in Sydney, including airports. Close to city and the operahouse. Staff at the reception are really supportive and friendly. Good value for money.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
dionmarketing, Guest Relations Manager at Springfield Lodge, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Hi there,

Thank you for providing us and future travellers with your valuable feedback. We are very happy to hear you enjoyed the location and thought Springfield Lodge was overall good value.

Thank you again for your comments.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 3 March 2011

Beautiful old building, situatited just off Kings Cross. Inside the building looked slightly run down but the rooms had wooden floorboards and all looked recently refurbished, my room was clean, simple and comfortable, exactly what we needed. Staff were helpful and friendly. Beautifull cafe/restaurant out front with lovely seeding area, however we only had coffee from there so we can't judge the food. Highly recommended for place to stay for a city break to Sydney, central and two mins walk to kings cross station.

• Stayed October 2010
Hello,

Thank you for your kind comments. It's really great to hear when someone has delightful experience visiting Sydney and staying at Springfield Lodge.

We look forward to seeing you again someday soon.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 22 February 2011

Overall this is not a bad place but the picture and write up on their website are a bit better than the actual accom. The king room we booked was their best available and was clean but not at all flashy. The bed was great (firm enough for my bad back but very comfy). the rooms have no air con so on the 32 degree days humid days we had it was a tall order for the ceiling fan and small window to combine to keep us comfortable. The hallways are narrow and dingy and I'd hate to try and get out in a fire - with only one way out of the top floor. Overpriced poor restaurant on site but lots of good eateries nearby and only 2 mins walk from Kings Cross rail station so access to the CBD is easy. Allow 90 mins in the shuttle bus to the airport at 7am (only $12 AUD) or reduce the time and stress and take the train for $5 more. Would I stay again or recommend? Yes if there was nothing better available but I'd shop around first and I'd not get my hopes up.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi there,

Thank you for your comments. without feedback like yours, it's hard to continually improve our guest experience.

We're happy to hear you thought the bed was comfortable, we pride ourselves on the high quality Sealy mattresses we use at all our Sydney Lodges properties.

I'm sorry you felt the hallways were narrow and dingy. By law we have to have the hotel fire rated, of which it has never failed an assessment so I can assure you there was no fire risk when you stayed with us.

The cafe at the front of the hotel is a popular cafe among locals in the area, as well as with guests of Springfield Lodge. You would have to be the only person I have ever heard that didn't enjoy their wonderful food. None the less, I have passed your comments on to the chef and owner.

Thank you again for your comments and valuable feedback.

We hope you will consider Springfield Lodge again on your next visit to Sydney.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed on the 4th floor which can only be reached by stairs. The room was tiny but worse of all there was no airconditioning on a very humid night. The room must have been formerly a storage room. The room was actually hotter than the outside temperature. The view was looking out onto brickwork (of another building). I would compare the comfort level of this establishment to being in a bad youth hostel (except some youth hostels are more comfortable).

Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FromMelbourne69
Hi there,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Springfield Lodge. While these rooms up high are very quiet, they can be hot in summer. We are currently installing air-conditioning in each and every room at Springfield Lodge to make it more comfortable throughout summer. I hope you will be able to visit us in the future to experience the difference. We also have King Rooms that are much larger and have a king-size bed. Might I suggest this room for your next visit, it is very good value at only $20 or so more than the Double Room which you had booked.

Chattanooga TN
Reviewed 17 February 2011

I have traveled around the world and encountered some awful places, but this one TOPS THE WORST LIST. In fact, this is the first bad review I’ve ever written about any of my travels. The rooms are TINY - the bathroom was ridiculously tiny (the sink was about a 10" square and you hit your arms on the shower walls) and there is NO AIR CONDITIONING. The ROOM WAS LIKE AN OVEN!! Absolutely unbearable. Before this, I asked for bath cloths, the MANAGER was EXTREMELY RUDE and said "only you Americans and Canadians ask for them." Outside, the noise & music from nearby places would keep you from sleeping. Their web site is not the same as the actual place at all and they will not tell you there is no A/C - only a tiny open vent to the outside!!! Their site says "Accommodation at its finest" - that is WAY far from the truth!
AVOID THIS PLACE! and RUDE STAFF; pay a few bucks more and stay at a nice place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Cancunlvrs
Hi there,

Thank you for your comments and caps lock, this made your valuable comments very easy to read and really highlighted the worst parts of your stay with us.

I'm sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay at Springfield Lodge. Many people very much enjoy this property, I'm sorry you had such a different experience. The lodge is being fitted with air-conditioning, so I'm sure the rooms will be much more comfortable come next summer, hopefully you will be able to return and experience the difference in comfort.

The room you had booked was an extremely small room for the size of your group. Might I recommend booking one of our larger King Rooms or Double Premiums for your next visit. I'm sure you will find this more comfortable for a group your size.

I apologise if you felt the staff member you spoke to about the bath cloths was rude. Sometimes cultural differences can mean people are honestly and innocently mistaken, I'm sorry you saw this comment as an attack rather than mere observation that it was. The staff member was equally concerned when he learned you had taken the comment the wrong way, but don't worry, he'll be ok.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback.
vancouver
Reviewed 9 February 2011

I stayed in two different rooms in this hotel. The first night I was on the third floor in their more expensive suite, the second night on the ground floor in the single room suite. The third floor suite was fine if you are the type of traveler who wants a clean bed at the end of the day-nothing more. My ground floor single bed room was a nightmare! The carpet was stained, I saw a cockroach on the floor, the bathroom light burnt out during my visit, and worst of all, my room was infested with bed bugs!! It was a night from hell as I had no choice but to stay until morning because staff are not there overnight. I could not sleep, I was bitten all over and I spent half the night killing bugs and spraying the room with my bug spray which I had with me-thank God. The only good thing i can say is that the staff were helpful and refunded the cost of the room. The location is good,but the alternate hotel I found that night in the same area,The Maisonette-is far superior and in the same price range.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Hi there,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. After further investigation it became evident that both rooms you occupied become infected with bed bugs. Both guests of the rooms before you complained of nothing.

Thank you again for your comments.
Singapore
Reviewed 8 February 2011

The rooms were very hot. The ceiling fan wasn't cleaned and when we increase the power of the fan to level 2, the dust that piled up on the fan dropped onto our beds and all over the floor. The window was spoilt, and the staff was very rude when we asked him to send someone to the room to repair it. The lift was faulty and we had to climb up the stairs instead.

The only good thing about the place was the location. Other than that, it was very disappointing.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Hi there,

Thank you for your valuable comments and feedback. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience at Springfield Lodge. We are currently installing air-conditioning in all the rooms at Springfield Lodge to make it more comfortable during summer.

We pride ourselves on excellence in customer service, I'm sorry that the system seems to have failed here. I will be speaking to the front office manager about your treatment when reporting the faulty window. I have also passed your comments about the room cleanliness on to the housekeeping manager to have this addressed.

Thank you again for your feedback. It helps us to continually make amendments to our procedures that improve the customer experience.

We hope to see you again soon some day.